The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 1, 2008, 08:51 PM   #1
scrat

From Black Finish To Steel

Ok i have been reading enough information that i made a decision to de blue one of my revolvers. I took the cheapest one my pietta purchased from Cabelas. Yesterday i started really thinking then today i took out a pan took apart the gun then just let it sit in vinegar until all the finish was completley off. Then comes the thinking part everyone had been mentioning about M.A.S.S. However having once part owned a machine shop and having worked in the automotive industry for many years. I went back to my old school thinking.

The following pictures are the before pics. Look at the octagon barrel thats the subject.

1851 Navy Confederate

Old March 1, 2008, 08:52 PM   #2
scrat

AND the newly finished

Old March 1, 2008, 08:53 PM   #3
scrat

So how did i do it

1. Take the barrel and wedge off.
2. Soak the barrel, Wedge, Cylinder in Vinegar
3. I let it soak for almost an hour
4. Clean them off with hot hot water.
5. Dry off all parts.
6. Get out the Mothers

Yep Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish
Then comes the elbow grease work. I have polished the parts for about 45 minutes. The top of the barrel i spent about 20 minutes just on that. It almost looks like a chrome finish. Now im just going to polish it up to even out the polish on all areas then lubricate all the moving parts and down the throats again.

In person it looks really sharp
Old March 1, 2008, 09:03 PM   #4
berkmberk1

Cool!!!!!!!

Anyone carrying one or two of these 140 or so years ago would have to go by the moniker of "Techno-Reb".
Old March 20, 2008, 02:28 PM   #5
maxymczak

i just did this......

to my .36 cal oct bbl 1851 navy after i found how you did yours.... great info !!!
Old March 20, 2008, 05:09 PM   #6
dgray64

Beautiful job!! I just ordered one of those from Cabelas today. I may make it look like yours after it gets here.

Dave
Old March 20, 2008, 05:15 PM   #7
scrat

Ok guys i did this around three weeks ago. Have taken out to the range a few times. Cleans just as did before. Actually seems easier to clean as the bp does not seem to build up on a polished surface. After a good shooting and cleaning. i will put a light coat of mothers mag and wheel polish on it. So yep it sure is worht it. Im planning on getting another doing the same. Then changing the grips. a good white mother of pearl.