The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 21, 2007, 04:02 PM   #1
RB98SS

Lee Auto Prime II

Is anyone currently using one of these? http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...sku=0000690107 Not the Auto Prime, this one sits on the press.

I currently am using a Lyman Ram prime that works great, but its a little slow.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gary
Old July 21, 2007, 07:01 PM   #2
DennisD

Don't have one myself but you can read a few reviews here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductrev...oductid=556149

NRA Life
Old July 21, 2007, 07:06 PM   #3
steveno

the auto prime 2 is the only Lee product I will use. it has loaded thousands of rounds of various calibers
Old July 22, 2007, 09:34 PM   #4
Rimrod

I have one that I use once in awhile. There is more to it than is pictured in your link. They are not hard to use and I won't try to talk you out of it because they aren't all that bad. There are two things you will want to look out for when using it which they may have corrected since mine was made. (it is a very early model)

1) The primers may bind and not drop into the tube.

2) When you get down to the last few primers they don't have the weight to feed properly ( they are gravity fed) and you may have to push them, a paper clip works great.
Old July 25, 2007, 11:56 AM   #5
LubeckTech

I have used one for the past two years and love it. It is fast and you can adjust the seating depth. The down side is it (the slide track the primers feed thru) has to be kept clean, you nay have to shake the primer tray periodically to keep the p;rimers flowing and the last 6 -8 primers require assistance with a paperclip or other small device pushing them or you can reload the tray. These are much faster and easier than any hand priming tool I've used.
Old July 25, 2007, 04:23 PM   #6
Wrangler5

For those with (or with access to) kids with electric guitars, a nifty Lee primer pusher can be made from the last 4" or so of an electric guitar string stuck in a wooden dowel about the size of an ordinary lead pencil. The string is flexible but not limp, and the little brass ring on the end is small enough to slide down a small primer chute and push reliably on the center of a primer.

I've been using one for years that I made from the lightest of the wound strings. It sticks out 3 5/8 inches from the end of the wooden dowel, and is just long enough to push the last primer into place through the primer feeder on my Loadmaster press. The AutoPrimes have the same curved trough, so you just have to get the length set properly for your particular tool.