The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old November 7, 2012, 12:00 AM   #26
FloridaVeteran

Andrewsmith1 - my hat is off to you. That is going the extra mile, which I did not have to do.

Wife and I voted today at 1:00, 100% for NRA-approved candidates. Could not sleep for squat last night. Had to take a nap after voting. Tonight, now that it is too late for me to have any effect of any kind on all of this, I am limiting myself to jabbering away on Firing Line. I don't want to read or hear any "news" until tomorrow and I don't have any other blogs to go to. God help us. No offense to atheist shooters who voted right.
Old November 7, 2012, 12:24 AM   #27
Rifleman1952

It is 12:30 am EST and the major TV networks are all declaring Obama the winner. I just can't believe that this man, who holds such contempt for our Second Amendment, has been re-elected. Unbelievable. This is a sad day for America.

"I don't believe that people should be able to own guns."

Barak Obama, as quoted to John R. Lott, Jr., PhD, while both were working at the University of Chicago Law School in 1996. From the book "Debacle", by Grover G. Norquist and John R Lott, Jr., John Wiley & Sons, Inc.: Publisher
Old November 7, 2012, 12:43 AM   #28
MLeake

Not to veer too deeply into the political, but...

1) They may well be right, but they are still "calling" the election with several states in close heats, and with a significant percentage of uncounted votes - remember Dewey Defeats Truman.

2) Assuming the call proves correct, it's interesting to note that while this would be the fifth Presidential election where the Electoral College winner is not the popular vote winner, it will be the first time that scenario involves the incumbent winning. The previous four cases have all involved a new candidate winning the EC vote but not the popular.

3) The House will remain under one party's control, and the Senate under the control of the other. Regardless of who won, tonight, the ability of the President to ramrod policy through is simply not there. The bigger threat, if there is one, will lie in bench nominations.

4) Whoever wins, expect significant gridlock.
Old November 7, 2012, 12:49 AM   #29
zxcvbob

Quote:
The House will remain under one party's control, and the Senate under the control of the other. Regardless of who won, tonight, the ability of the President to ramrod policy through is simply not there. The bigger threat, if there is one, will lie in bench nominations.
  1. He doesn't need the House to appoint judges or sign treaties, just the Senate.
  2. I'm not sure Romney would have been all that much better.
  3. Our only hope after Tampa was for the Senate to go R (then the prez didn't really matter) and that's not happening.
  4. We are F'd.
Old November 7, 2012, 12:52 AM   #30
Rifleman1952

In all probability, Obama will nominate two more judges to the US Supreme Court. Those nominees, will undoubtedly be hostile towards the Second Amendment. Individual liberty lost last night.
Old November 7, 2012, 01:04 AM   #31
MLeake

Rifleman, you assume the judges who retire (or are medically disabled) will be from our side of the fence.

If Ginsburg is replaced, it won't affect things (from an RKBA perspective).

Justices tend to try to avoid retiring when they think they will be replaced by those who would undo their decisions.

Just pray for the health of those Justices you would not want replaced by the current administration. Unless you are an atheist, in which case just keep your fingers crossed.
Old November 7, 2012, 01:11 AM   #32
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Justices tend to try to avoid retiring when they think they will be replaced by those who would undo their decisions.
Many folks assume that a new Justice will immediately cause the reversal of the Heller and McDonald decisions. That's simply not the case.

First off, the Court has to be called upon to make a decision. They don't just hand down opinions: there has to be a case requiring the resolution of a constitutional question. I'm not exactly sure what kind of case would lead to a challenge of Heller.

Second, the Court has to be careful not to reverse itself in short order. Doing so casts their authority into doubt. They reverse themselves slowly, if at all. Consider the 60-year gap between Plessy and Brown v. Board of Education.

Now, can they prevent further progress forward? Yep. But I wouldn't worry about anything going south in the near future.
Old November 7, 2012, 01:15 AM   #33
MLeake

True, it may take a while.

Then again, Roberts was appointed while still relatively young, and likely to have two or three decades of potential time on the bench ahead of him.

Since then, Sotomayor was also relatively young when appointed.

I think this will become the new norm; if so, appointments are likely to have longer term effects. Still, Justices tend to try to remain on the bench until it is likely they will be replaced by somebody with a similar view of how things should work.
Old November 7, 2012, 01:19 AM   #34
BarryLee

Quote:
Still, Justices tend to try to remain on the bench until it is likely they will be replaced by somebody with a similar view of how things should work.
Yes, very true, so where does this leave Kennedy?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old November 7, 2012, 01:42 AM   #35
jmortimer

"Many folks assume that a new Justice will immediately cause the reversal of the Heller"
Heller went 5-4 and Kagan and Sotomayor just make it the same. So if Kennedy gets replaced in the next fours years we are toast. It is naive to think otherwise. There will be no respect for precedent. International law will carry more weight. Continuous gun manufacturer backlogs will continue, and ammunition and component shortages will occur. And the executive orders are queued-up. It is way below average as they say.
Old November 7, 2012, 01:53 AM   #36
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
There will be no respect for precedent. International law will carry more weight. Continuous gun manufacturer backlogs will continue, and ammunition and component shortages will occur. And the executive orders are queued-up.
Can you cite sources for any of this?
Old November 7, 2012, 02:08 AM   #37
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

No need to cite sources.

The voting is done, even if the tallying goes on.

What's done is done and we will move on from this point forward.

I'm closing this before the politics gets someone banned.
Closed Thread