The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 8, 2010, 04:17 PM   #26
Big Bill

There are too many government regulations on hunters and hunting now. So, adding more is counter productive. I say, to Hell with more regulations.
Old October 8, 2010, 05:06 PM   #27
Gbro

This is happening here in Minnesota with the moose hunt.
Anyone that draws a tag (once in a lifetime) must attend an orientation session and get the tag validated.
Check page 12, http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/recreat...ful_hunter.pdf

And that goes for Elk, and I would bet if we ever get a chance to hut a Wolf there will be sessions for that also.

Its a sign of the times, Good/Bad YMMV.
We all want to think that hunters 100 years ago knew all there was to know and never made mistakes, but that just isn't supported by the statistics.
The old system of giving Ottis or the mayor a ride home every time he was picked up intoxicated is an example of the old way that just isn't accepted anymore.
Old October 8, 2010, 05:08 PM   #28
kraigwy

I'm really surprised to see so many on this forum are supporting more restrictions and regulations on our God Given Right.

All the rules and regulations in the world wont prevent "slob hunters" if that were the answer, then why are there so many drunk drivers out there.

I'm all for punishing slob hunters if they break the law. I am not however willing to support punishment for law abiding citizens and that is exactly what these rules do

You cannot legislate ethics and morals, Just doesn't work.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 8, 2010, 05:09 PM   #29
Edward429451

Generally speaking, I am against regulations for a supposedly free people. Hunting is a right because my instinct says if I or my family are hungry then all regs are off. However, valid concerns of safety have been raised and addressed. A voluntary demonstration of skills to show that one is up to community standards is not unreasonable in the least, and could be wonderfully executed with incentives for participation like subsidized game permits and ammo etc..

woops musta fell asleep and was dreaming there for a minute.
Old October 8, 2010, 05:33 PM   #30
oneounceload

If there is no need for shooting skills to be tested and judged, then why bother to do live fire?

If that isn't important enough for a Hunter Safety course, why bother having a HS course at all - just issue the license to whomever at any age and let them all go into the woods and have at it - seems to be the feelings here
Old October 9, 2010, 07:44 AM   #31
hooligan1

+1 on what the Captain say's!! More legislation will not a safer hunt make...............period..........