The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 16, 2017, 03:19 PM   #1
hitechman

Stolen Rifle......

Stolen Monday, July 10th between the hours of 10:30am and 1:30pm in Southern Gratiot County (Michigan).

Details: Action is a savage target action. Right bolt/left port. Stock is a savage F class stock. The barrel is a 30" Criterion Bull. Chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. The scope is a NightForce NXS 8-32 x 56 - Moar T reticle with illumination.

It is a unique and easily identifiable rifle. Any information leading to its recovery would be greatly appreciated.

Old July 16, 2017, 04:42 PM   #2
JoeSixpack

Sorry for your loss, Looks like a nice rifle.
Was it a house burglary?

There are a few sites on the internet dedicated to keep a stolen gun database.
Check google the only one I can remember off hand is http://www.hotgunz.com

It's a long shot but maybe you'll get lucky.
Don't forget to report it to the police asap, It's the law here in Ohio I'd assume Michigan has similar law,

I think they keep a list so if it's ever ran by police hopefully they can get it back to you.
At the very least you'll cover your ass if it ever shows up somewhere unsavory.
Old July 16, 2017, 05:11 PM   #3
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Moved to General Discussion.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old July 16, 2017, 07:21 PM   #4
buckey

Will keep an eye open here in Mid-Mich.
Old July 16, 2017, 07:46 PM   #5
FITASC

Check all the pawn shops?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 17, 2017, 08:06 PM   #6
kenny53

That is a shame. Do call the police, and do check pawn shops all over the state.
Old July 17, 2017, 08:49 PM   #7
Jim Watson

The only thing legally unique is the serial number. I think there is one on the scope, too.
The only thing that counts is a police report.

Nobody cares, you will have to hit every pawn shop, gun store, and gun show you can get to with that police report in hand, the police are not searching for stolen goods.
Old July 17, 2017, 11:39 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

Very true.

I once had to track down a hit-and-run driver myself, because the police didn't have time for it.
After finding the vehicle and passing along all available information and some 1-hour photos that I had developed, the officer in charge of the case reaffirmed: "If you hadn't found [the driver and owner], they would have gotten the vehicle fixed and eliminated all of the evidence before we ran across them**. We just don't have enough time for stuff like this..."

**(Aside from the time afforded to the suspect(s) by typical delays in finding a hit-and-run driver, the owner of the car worked at a collision repair shop. )