The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 31, 2002, 12:12 AM   #1
Greg Bell

I want to start reloading 357 SIG.

Gents,

I'm just about ready to start reloading (again). I have ~3k 357 Sig empties. What should I get to begin reloading this round. I don't have any equipment ( I sold my old Lee press years ago .

GHB

P.S. How cheap can I reload say, 1000 rounds?
Doomsday: Colt 6920 with Aimpoint t-2
Old August 31, 2002, 02:41 AM   #2
sricciardelli

RCBS Rock Chucker Kit.

RCBS Accessory Kit.

Dies and shellholder.

Sierra 115 grain JHP bullets.

Power Pistol powder.

Federal 100 primers.

And a whole bunch of boxes!
Old August 31, 2002, 07:17 AM   #3
Swamp Yankee

Nothing wrong with the previous list but another option would be to look at either the RCBS or Lyman Turret press kits.
They contain the same items as the Rockchucker Kit but the turret style press offers a little faster operation with the same simplicity as the single stage Rockchucker. I use the RCBS Turret for my pistol ammo and really like it.
PowerPistol is the powder I use for .357 Sig as well. The only caution I would throw in is to watch your over all length as the .357 Sig pressures can get up there very quickly.
Take Care
Old August 31, 2002, 09:03 AM   #4
KP95DAO

357 Sig

Three suggestions: Do a search here on the sig round. Go to Glock talk and do the same. lastly go to this web site: http://petej55.home.mindspring.com/

That should fix you up.
Old August 31, 2002, 01:51 PM   #5
Peter M. Eick

If you want to make your life a bit easier, use dillon dies for sizing (saves a lot of lube issues) and use aa9 for the powder. It really helps on warm loads to stop the bullet setback issue.

Like the prior post, trust the real petej88, I am a very poor approximation of the real pete when it comes to experience with the 357sig.

(But I will go blasting with my 229sport tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!)
Old September 1, 2002, 11:17 PM   #6
dsteinman

How many rounds a month do you shoot ? How many hours a month can you devote to reloading ? This would help you determine if a progressive is in order...

rounds per month / hours per month = production rate desired

Me, I enjoy my time spent reloading so a high production rate is not a big deal. I shoot about 800-1000 rounds a month..

Will you load other pistol and/or rifle calibers ? If you plan on loading rifle, get a press that will handle both.. if loading additional pistol calibers, look at this cost also when choosing a press.

Also, I would recommend a press from Hornady, RCBS,Lyman or Dillon.

My 357 Sig setup is a Hornady Lnl AP with Hornady dies, and a Redding taper crimp die (this is a GREAT die). I also load 9mm, .308 and .30-06 with this press. When you shop for dies, bear in mind that the only carbide sizing die for 357 Sig is Dillon, the 3 die set is like $103..

I have been using the Rainier Ballistics 124 gr bullet for my range loads, about $40 per thousand. I have been very pleased with this bullet. Powder, plan on $17-20 bucks a lb, and about the same for primers. It ends up running me between 7-8 cents a round for custom ammo tuned to my gun...

Have fun reloading..