The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 31, 2002, 08:49 PM   #1
Blue Duck357

How low to let powder go...

Was loading 700x in 357 with my SDB. Got very good results but metering isn't that great so I want to try something else (231)

Problem is I've read you need to make sure your powder measure is kept at least a third full. Well I'd like to go ahead and use as much of the current powder as I can for making shells just to not waste it. Can I keep loading till the powder clears the plastic and ditch the rest or do I need to stop earlier??? I'm about 2" from where the the plastic ends and the metal funnel begins now.

Thanks,

Blueduck
Old August 31, 2002, 09:12 PM   #2
Bacchus

As long as it's cleaned out thoroughtly before switching powders, why would you throw away any powder?

Why not just pour it back in the container?
Old August 31, 2002, 09:31 PM   #3
Blue Duck357

Sorry Bacchus I'm not making myself clear. I want to use all I can of the current batch of powder (all I have of it is in the measure now). I just don't know how low a level I can go to before it's time to stop clean out whats left and make the switch.

Thanks,

Blueduck
Old August 31, 2002, 10:49 PM   #4
Steve Smith

Blue Duck, I'd say test it yourself. Each powder measure is different, and the powder itself will make a difference.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old September 1, 2002, 07:38 PM   #5
rick_reno

How low to let powder go...

My SDB's all meter fine with the powder at or below the little triangular piece of plastic in the bottom of the powder measure. I luse a lot of W231/Unique and weigh every 20th or so round on a PACT digital scale. I've not seen any significant change in the amount of powder thrown (significant change is defined as something that would make me add powder or adjust the powder measure). I wish my RCBS powder measure were as good as the ones Dillon provides; I was using it yesterday and it was increasing the powder .1 of a grain every 15 rounds.
Old September 1, 2002, 08:22 PM   #6
Jim Watson

I have gotten consistent metering with the powder level well down in the cone bottom of the SDB measure. When it gets that low, I load in small lots and check weigh the powder every 10 - 20. The last few you might have to make up to weight on the scale. It is kind of tedious, but if you are patient you can use up every bit of that powder until the last smidgen of less than one standard load.
Old September 1, 2002, 10:08 PM   #7
Blue Duck357

I'm weighing every ten rounds now and everythings looking ok so far. I guess it's the extra weight of the powder in a full measure helps some with consistency and maybe thats the reason for the "keeping it full" reccomendation.

My loads are showing a bit more deviation charge wise than with the full hopper but as I'm making basically a 38+P in 357 cases It would have to get a lot wider to be of any real concern.

Thanks,

Blueduck