The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 7, 2018, 10:52 PM   #1
turkeestalker

They're finally wising up...

Went to my first gun show today where I encountered metal detectors upon entry.
Never run into that before at a gun show.
So I'm curious how common they are at gun shows in other places around the country?
Not sure that a gun show is the most useful place to employ metal detectors, but what do I know.

PS. I know that everyone is down on the shows lately, but I do still enjoy them.
Picked up a Remington 241 Speedmaster and a Wards Western Field M80 (Savage 29) for $400 OTD between them.
Neither are in pristine shape but functional, complete, and unmolested (no boogared up screw heads or major marks in the wood), just honest wear.
Just had to look in between all the tupperware and black stuff.
Old July 8, 2018, 01:43 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

If they start doing that in this area, that will be the end of gunshows for me.
Old July 8, 2018, 05:47 AM   #3
turkeestalker

This was one of the larger shows in this area, well at least one of the largest venues where they hold them.
This is the venue that shattered that glass ceiling on entry fees some years back.
Honestly after encountering the metal detectors yesterday, I'll not likely attend shows held at that venue in the future.
Just stick to the smaller ones that tend to have more of the gems I prefer to find.
Old July 8, 2018, 06:10 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

The ones at the Arkansas State Fairground have had metal detectors on the exits (but not the entry) for a long time. Never seen one anywhere else.
Old July 8, 2018, 09:24 AM   #5
Onward Allusion

Why would a gun-show have metal detectors? It makes no sense to me. Would a nogoodnik be stupid enough to try and rob the place? The longer I live the more I think we need a reset.
Old July 8, 2018, 09:46 AM   #6
UncleEd

I suspect that it's a way of checking to see
who has loaded concealed carry guns.

Many states, Georgia included, the gun shops
have signs indicating no loaded guns permitted
to be carried into the premises.

And the gun shows I've attended where someone
has a gun to sell must pass it for inspection and
hammer/slide, breach ties are applied by police
at the door.

It's not the end of the world. Or is it?
Old July 8, 2018, 11:15 AM   #7
turkeestalker

Around here law enforcement officers do the inspection and apply the zip ties at every show, they were the ones manning the metal detectors at this show.

Though I know it happens, this is the only venue where a vendor had a firearm stolen while I was in attendance a couple of years ago, and law enforcement was scrutinizing everyone upon exit, though I never saw them pat anyone down.

Kind of makes you think that perhaps it would be wiser to do as Spats says he's seen at Arkansas State Fairground shows.

I walked out yesterday with my two vintage plinkers and no one gave a second glance but did have to empty my pockets on the way in.

Just makes you wonder.
Old July 8, 2018, 11:54 AM   #8
buck460XVR

If we have metal detectors at our local schools, why not at the local gun show? With all the NDs one reads about that happen at gun shows, I suspect making any gun taken into one inoperable, or at least making sure it's unloaded, is a good thing. The technology and cost of portable metal detectors is gotten so they are easy to use and readily affordable. Like anything else in life, if the gun show promoters want to use 'em, it's their choice. We can either abide by their choice or go home. No different than your friend asking you not to smoke in their house. Is it a wise choice as suggested in the title of the thread? Guess it depends on which side of the metal detector you are on.

As UncleEd stated.....it's not the end of the world, is it?
Old July 8, 2018, 01:47 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
if the gun show promoters want to use 'em, it's their choice.
It might not be their choice! It might be a requirement of the venue where the show is being held. Or the insurance carrier of the venue...

Metal detectors at a gun show...a place where people take guns and ammo in and out on handtrucks...and by the pallet load. No, I suppose its not the end of the world, just one more example of the end of common sense in favor of the assumption of security.

Don't automatically blame the show operators for this foolishness. They may be caught in the middle just like the rest of us.

one show we used to have in my area was held at the local fairgrounds. For decades. Until some junior DA for the city decided he had the "muscle" to change things, and he did. Couldn't ban or prohibit the show, that would have been going too far.

What he did was create a requirement that all vendors had to carry at least One MILLION dollars insurance. At the time, a million dollars of coverage for the 3 days of the show was about $80-100. Everyone had to have it, not just the gun dealers, but also the private sellers, the book guy, the coin & jewelry vendors, the t-shirt lady and the hot dog guy!!

For a lot of people at the show, that added cost ate up their profits to the point where they never came back. Lots of people dealing at the shows are not making any large profits. They cover expenses and make a little something, maybe only enough to cover breakfast. Take away that little something and there's no point in going to, and setting up at the shows.

Metal detectors make a degree of sense in some situations, but not at a gun show. First, its an intrusive "solution" to a problem that does not exist, second, its not capable of preventing trouble if that's what a person has on their mind. Kind of like a background check on a person that already has guns, or a bomb sniffer checking you for nitrate residue when you work in a fertilizer plant or on a farm...

ITs a useless thing that only makes people who don't actually think, feel better.
Old July 9, 2018, 12:25 AM   #10
KY_blkout

Seems hypocritical to me, of course where I'm from nobody bats an eye at even people who open carry. I love Kentucky.
Old July 9, 2018, 03:44 AM   #11
mag1911

We had to move our largest local show to a new venue, an arena.

This arena has security outside for all events, concerts/sporting events/etc, and wands all customers before they enter the building. That carried over to the gunshow when it moved to there. Their building, their rules. Vendors can still come in the side doors without wanding.
Old July 9, 2018, 07:25 AM   #12
Onward Allusion

Not the end of the world. Just another example of idiotic gun-free zones. It would be ironic as hell if a group of armed BG's rob the gunshow or individuals going to their cars with their purchases.
Old July 9, 2018, 08:13 AM   #13
riffraff

Funny - where I live in NH, most places are perfectly OK to carry into (other than a handful of government related places, normal federal laws for federal buildings, courthouses etc..)..

The only places you see signs that actually say carrying firearms is OK are gun shops - which would of course be about the dumbest place in the country to attempt to victimize - not uncommon to see an employee carrying multiple pistols on their person, in the open, ready to deploy, would be as bad as trying to rob a police station or something.
Old July 9, 2018, 08:56 AM   #14
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Why would a gun-show have metal detectors? It makes no sense to me. Would a nogoodnik be stupid enough to try and rob the place? The longer I live the more I think we need a reset.
No, they are not worried about somebody trying to rob the place. They are worried about people bringing in loaded guns. They don't want people carrying in loaded guns, loaded magazines, or guns that are not zip-tied.

Gun shows don't want people to have loaded guns in them because they can't trust the people with loaded guns not to discharge the gun when in the gun show. Gun show mishaps are not unheardof and people sometimes get injured. There are usually a few every year...at places where people brought in loaded guns they were not supposed to be loaded.
Old July 9, 2018, 03:41 PM   #15
TailGator

I don't go to shows very often but I've never seen metal detectors. Like some others, I question their utility. Did it take forever to get in, with people having to remove keys, watches, belt buckles, and such? Gun shows here are useless enough that I go years between attending; if I had to stand in a long line just to get in, it would be one more - probably the last - reason not to go.
Old July 9, 2018, 04:58 PM   #16
turkeestalker

It did take quite a bit of time to get through the process yes, and yes everything in a plastic bin as if you were entering the court house.
Old July 9, 2018, 05:43 PM   #17
jag2

I’m with 44 amp. I’d bet its required by facility whether it’s a gun show or boat show. Sadly it is just the way things are these days. I don’t think it would make me feel any safer but it certainly doesn’t offend me.
Old July 9, 2018, 08:27 PM   #18
kenny53

So if you CCW and go to the gun show what do they do? It would be a my last gun show if that would happen here. You can buy bulk ammo on line, you can get good deals at pawn shops, LGS have sales. Here we have Utah Gun Exchange. It is on line people selling guns ammo and stuff.
Old July 9, 2018, 08:59 PM   #19
turkeestalker

Quote:
So if you CCW and go to the gun show what do they do?
Well... you go back to the truck and disarm. Another requirement was 'NO LOOSE AMMO'.
So it's not like you could simply unload and keep the bullets in another pocket while they zip tied your DC.

I am certain that it is in fact a requirement of the venue, not those organizing the show.

So Spats is the only one that has seen this done at a show, just on the exit not the entry?
Old July 9, 2018, 09:08 PM   #20
MoArk Willy

Although Missouri has fairly reasonable gun laws they also respect property owners rights regarding what you can and can't do on the property. Property owners rights override CCW rights everytime. Where exactly was this gun show? Missouri law restricts CCW if a venue is over a certain attendance capacity.
The "no loose ammo" makes perfect sense. Anyone at a gun show can handle a weapon. If you have a pocketful of ammo all that person needs to do is find the right gun. Assuming that all attendees at a gun show are law abiding is about as foolish as thinking that "No guns allowed" signs will stop a school shooter.
Certain procedures are in place to protect you, not restrict you.
Old July 9, 2018, 09:29 PM   #21
turkeestalker

In Saint Charles county, just across the Missouri river from Saint Louis county.
Never heard of any law that restricts CCW based on attendance capacity of a given venue here in MO.
Not saying that I doubt you, just that I'd like to read it if you've got a link, but I will search on my own.
Lord knows I'm wrong all the time.
I agree that the loose ammo rule makes perfect sense, though I've never seen it posted on a sign in all capital letters like it was when entering this particular show.
Truth be told it would be fairly simple to obtain a round or two from the thousands of boxes on different vendor's tables in the show, or just by a box or two or case full.

To me, it's just that posting the sign is about as useful as employing metal detectors upon entry.

An imposition of the wishes of people that really don't understand much, and doesn't accomplish anything useful beyond being enough of a PIA to show attendees so as to kill the profitability of future shows held at that venue.

Hmmm... Maybe they understand more than I was thinking!
Old July 10, 2018, 03:05 PM   #22
turkeestalker

Quote:
Any sports arena or stadium with a seating capacity of five thousand or more.
That is the best I could find regarding capacity so you are correct, but I don't believe that the St. Charles Convention Center would be considered a sports arena or stadium.