The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 27, 2002, 09:46 PM   #1
Prodigalshooter

Mag Ext. for Mossberg?

Well, I've looked in a few of the more obvious places, (Mossberg, Tacstar, Natchez etc) but can't find a magazine extension tube for my 500. Does anyone know of any sources? Mine is the 500 18.5"bbl with 5 shell capacity (w/plug removed). I'd like to add 2 more rounds if possible.
Old August 28, 2002, 12:13 AM   #2
Andrew Wyatt

the only way to increase the magazine capacity of your mossberg is to buy a 20 inch 7 round barrel and magazine tube/spring/follower. the barrel attachment system precludes the use of extention tubes.

basically, no one makes them because there's no way to extend the magazine capacity without getting a new barrel.
Old August 28, 2002, 07:54 AM   #3
Prodigalshooter

Oh! Drat, should have checked before buying that model, but I'll probably struggle along ok with 6 shells.
Thanks.
Old August 28, 2002, 11:17 AM   #4
Bruce626

If you don't already have one, a receiver mounted Sidesaddle shell holder will put more 6 more shells within easy reach for combat reloads and you can practice using shoot-two, load-two, shoot-two drills.

Some TFL'ers recommend against putting the Sidesaddle on the aluminum receiver on the M500 because the pin/screw might enlarge the holes. I've settled on a compromise of only shooting a few "realistic practice" shots with shells in the Sidesaddle and then shoot the other 200 shots with the Sidesaddle empty, on the theory the the empty Sidesaddle has very little mass and inertia and thus won't screw up the receiver.

YMMV.

--Bruce.
Old August 28, 2002, 05:42 PM   #5
Andrew Wyatt

I've a but cuff on my 500 and it seems to work just fine in the ammunition carrying department. I don't like sidesaddles because they make the reciever wider and make the balance funny, whereas the butcuff makes the gun wider in an area where it really doesn't matter.

I did some research and bought the 20 inch barrelled 7 round model instead.(it's got mossberg factory GR sighs on it and one of them fancy dancy do all slings, as well as a cheekpiece (which incidentally is held on by the buttcuff)
Old August 28, 2002, 07:34 PM   #6
Prodigalshooter

Well, the reason I bought the model I did was that it came with two barrels, one the 18.5" security version, the other the 28" vent rib hunting barrel. So, it's a trade off, only paid $219, so I really can't complain. I could have gotten the 590, but then I'd have had to buy the vent rib extra. Just didn't think about extra mag capacity till I was reading about someone else's add-ons!
Of course, now I have a (sort of) reason to buy another shotgun, one that'll take all the bells and whistles
Of course, explaining that logic to my wife is another thing!
"Oh, wait, honey, this is YOUR shotgun, I han't picked mine up yet!"
Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket...
Old August 28, 2002, 10:46 PM   #7
Andrew Wyatt

my parents got mine at a big 5 sale, too. they paid 239, i think.

You don't need extra capacity on your shotgun. if you can't handle it with five rounds, you're probably doing something wrong.

you can get another mag tube and the 20 inch barrel, for less than the cost of a new shotgun.
Old August 29, 2002, 04:12 PM   #8
Ozendorph

If you're really looking to up the ammo capacity on your 500, check out these guys:

http://www.knoxx.com/product/sidewinder.html

The sidewinder looks pretty sweet, but it is a bit pricey.
Old August 29, 2002, 08:40 PM   #9
Prodigalshooter

Old August 30, 2002, 02:36 PM   #10
Poodleshooter

www.e-gunparts.com has the longer Mossberg mag tube and the 20" cylinder bore barrel available.
Old August 31, 2002, 09:08 AM   #11
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I've had a Knoxx on order since the SHOT Show. Am getting excuses instead of my order. Bummer, since I really wanted to try it out on a spare 500 I have laying around. Sounded like a good idea, a drop-in box magazine conversion. Knoxx was also prototyping an 870 conversion there, but it required some cutting on the receiver (bottom front).