The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old May 10, 2018, 07:00 PM   #76
Jazzgun

Quote:
I hope neither you nor I ever are forced to shoot, either. But it's not the last thing I want to do - dying a preventable death, leaving my wife and daughters and my darling granddaughter (I have pictures if you have an hour or two!) bereaved, is the last thing I want to do. That is why we use seat belts, and eat right, and keep fire extinguishers where we might need them, and why we arm ourselves.
Roger THAT!
Old May 11, 2018, 08:36 AM   #77
Lohman446

I think sometimes we can get caught up in the complicated legal matters surrounding the use of deadly force. These conversations are important to have and we should be aware of those complications but they are so complex, so given to issues in perception, and second guessed with a "cool head" by those investigating or sitting on a jury. Even the experts on this board can only predict what might happen.

If your use of a firearm is a last resort to prevent severe bodily injury, death, kidnapping, or sexual penetration (at least in Michigan those are the four) you are probably ok in a legal sense. The exact circumstances, "reasonable person" issues, and perception may all come into play but you assuming you are a reasonable person you are likely ok. Not a lawyer and unpaid and unqualified legal discussions are as valuable as they seem.

With that being said I once had a college professor who had immigrated to the United States. On the first day of class he spoke of the importance of education and how it could not be taken from you even if you went in debt and were ultimately jailed for it. In his home country debtors prisons still existed.

If it truly is a last resort and the risks of not using deadly force are so severe they are not acceptable even an outcome that results in bankruptcy or jail may not be the worst possible outcome.
Old May 11, 2018, 11:30 AM   #78
Frank Ettin
Staff

This looks like a good time to finish this one and go on to other things.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread