The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 1, 2018, 02:05 AM   #26
disseminator

While my 460 XVR certainly has a bit of recoil, I'd much rather shoot it than my Dad's 4" Model 58 with full house 41 Magnums. That thing just hurts.
Old January 1, 2018, 09:11 AM   #27
lmccrock

Zeliska. With the weight, hard to tell about felt recoil.
http://www.guns.com/2012/02/17/the-p...nitro-express/
Old January 1, 2018, 11:53 AM   #28
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.h View Post
Hello All,

I've been wanting to buy a handgun that has a ridiculous amount of recoil.
As I said in my first post, I never understood the desire for this. Having a gun that is intentionally unpleasant to shoot, but the owner/shooter gets some form of ego boost from doing so. Kinda like the guy with the Harley with straight pipes that sits at the stoplight and jacks off on the throttle just to make as much noise as possible. Like folks have never heard a loud bike before. Now like big bore handguns, I have Harleys too. And just as much as I enjoy shooting my Magnum revolvers, I enjoy the sound of my bike in third gear sweeping up a long uphill curve. But I don't enjoy riding that same uphill curve behind some guy with a poor running bike and straight pipes who thinks having the loudest bike, makes him the most bad-as. There's a difference between loud and obnoxious, same with recoil.

Just sayin'...........
Old January 1, 2018, 11:59 AM   #29
BigJimP

I agree buck, it makes no sense to me either....

( but everybody should buy whatever they want -- regardless how little sense it makes to me...) ...

There always comes a day ...when you have to pay for the sins of your youth !! ( my hands have suffered a lot of abuse over the years...stepped on playing football, a few fingers broken more than once, a few motorcycle wrecks, now some arthritis...which is partly why my carry gun and primary range gun is now a steel, 5", 1911 in 9mm)... recoil is cumulative, it will take its toll in a tournament or over a long day shooting !

Last edited by BigJimP; January 1, 2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old January 1, 2018, 01:23 PM   #30
RIDE-RED 350r

I have the 5" 460V and it's no trouble to shoot with legit 460 level loads pushing a 240gr boolit. Just a little more lively than my 29 and 629.

Listen to Buck, he knows his stuff
Old January 1, 2018, 03:11 PM   #31
DaleA

I think I agree with what Buck460 (post #28) said on this.
Old January 1, 2018, 04:40 PM   #32
Jbar4Ranch

The two worst recoiling revolvers I've ever shot were a 4" S&W .500 with 700 grain bullets and a .475 Linebaugh on a Ruger frame made by Ben Forkin. I've also got a .45-70 BFR with a .450 Marlin convertible cylinder, and they can be a handful too, when loaded up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjmtUFrFBc4

SASS 47015
Old January 1, 2018, 06:17 PM   #33
Rockrivr1

If you want recoil try shooting 158gr 357 magnums out of a S&W Airweight J Frame. That will split the webbing between your thumb and forefinger.
Old January 3, 2018, 08:35 PM   #34
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.h
I recently rented a S&W .460 with an 8 3/8" barrel. I was underwhelmed by it
Never though I would ever read something like this. Sorry friend but if your bored with a 460 mag, just save your money as you will be disappointed with anything that is out there.
Old January 3, 2018, 08:52 PM   #35
Targa

Quote:
As I said in my first post, I never understood the desire for this. Having a gun that is intentionally unpleasant to shoot, but the owner/shooter gets some form of ego boost from doing so. Kinda like the guy with the Harley with straight pipes that sits at the stoplight and jacks off on the throttle just to make as much noise as possible. Like folks have never heard a loud bike before. Now like big bore handguns, I have Harleys too. And just as much as I enjoy shooting my Magnum revolvers, I enjoy the sound of my bike in third gear sweeping up a long uphill curve. But I don't enjoy riding that same uphill curve behind some guy with a poor running bike and straight pipes who thinks having the loudest bike, makes him the most bad-as. There's a difference between loud and obnoxious, same with recoil.

Just sayin'...........

So you just have to say it again for some recognition? Ok, you don't understand the fascination with heavy recoil.
OP, my Bisley .454 Ruger is pretty lively.
Old January 3, 2018, 09:12 PM   #36
Cheapshooter

Quote:
As I said in my first post, I never understood the desire for this. Having a gun that is intentionally unpleasant to shoot
But if you like shooting big boomers, and know how, they aren't "intentionally unpleasant"
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 3, 2018, 09:51 PM   #37
Targa

Yep^^^^. I get where the OP is coming from, the big boomers are fun at one end of the spectrum like .22's are fun at the other end of it.
Old January 4, 2018, 06:35 AM   #38
Road_Clam

The "manly" discussion revolving around the big bores is an opinionated subject that has been beat to death. Are they practical ? No, but if you want the thrill of a lifetime from pulling a handgun trigger, just do it !! Help's hugely if you handload as well. They are a substantial investment in both initial purchase and sustained shooting. Did my reaseach, established not only my big bore "want" but also my specific need. I purchased the 12" 460XVR , not a single regret !
Old January 4, 2018, 08:18 AM   #39
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targa View Post
So you just have to say it again for some recognition? Ok, you don't understand the fascination with heavy recoil.
Thanks for bringin' it again and drivin' home the point!

Just like the idiot at the stoplight stroking the throttle on his obnoxious bike. He thinks everyone is looking at him 'cause he's so cool, when actually folks are thinkin'....."what an idiot". While aftermarket pipes can increase performance, louder is not always better. So with recoil. While heavy recoil is just the nature of the beast with some platforms and calibers, desiring the most "rediculous" amount of recoil is not helping anything but boosting ego. Folks like that are what give folks like us with legitimate reasons to shoot big boomers the bad rap......as in the infamous "you must have a small appendage to hafta have such a big gun."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targa View Post
OP, my Bisley .454 Ruger is pretty lively.
Yes they are. The .454 chambering in the light Ruger platforms are one reason the caliber has always struggled to gain popularity. Reason? brutal recoil. But for folks that want to hunt, it's worth it. For folks that just want to make noise at the range....not so much, and they soon grow weary of it. One reason one sees so many very slightly used Rugers in .454 going for considerably less than the same platform in .44 mag. One reason the S&W X-framed .460, while using almost identical pressures took off so quickly......much more pleasant to shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
But if you like shooting big boomers, and know how, they aren't "intentionally unpleasant"
I agree. But looking for something like the OP is wanting in the "ridiculously" level, is "intentionally unpleasant". As been said before, it doesn't take the biggest boomers to do that. A boot gripped Airweight J-Frame with heavy loads can be more than most folks want to handle if painful recoil is all one wants.

I ain't telling anyone what to shoot or buy, just as I don't want folks to tell me that. But I still shake my head at the dude at the Harley Dealer asking to see "the loudest" bike they sell.

Again for some recognition......just'sayin'.
Old January 4, 2018, 08:52 AM   #40
kobs

Quote" I'm not really looking into the 500 S&W as i don't think it would kick much more than a 460, and the 460 can shoot 45lc which would be nice. "

The 460 is a good choice but don't stock up on 45 colt cause once you fire a few you will realize that even if this gun CAN shoot them, it's pretty useless to do so. It like if you could fire 223 with a Barrett .50 BMG rifle. The weight of the gun makes the 45 colt feel like you're firing .22 ammo
Old January 4, 2018, 12:23 PM   #41
Cheapshooter

Quote:
But looking for something like the OP is wanting in the "ridiculously" level, is "intentionally unpleasant". As been said before, it doesn't take the biggest boomers to do that. A boot gripped Airweight J-Frame with heavy loads can be more than most folks want to handle if painful recoil is all one wants.
Again, a complete miss of the point. Where did the OP say anything about "painful" recoil?
Proper technique, and good shooting gloves take the pain out of the big boomers, but leave the raw power to be enjoyed.
Quote:
Just like the idiot at the stoplight stroking the throttle on his obnoxious bike.
Bet you would really hate my inboard jet bass boat with through the hull exhaust throwing a 200' rooster tail!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 4, 2018, 12:55 PM   #42
GeauxTide

500 Linebaugh - 450gr LBT at 1300fps should ring your gong.
Old January 4, 2018, 01:11 PM   #43
Jbar4Ranch

Heavy .475 Linebaugh load in full recoil in my Ruger Bisley.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 475Linebaugh.jpg (242.2 KB, 25 views)

SASS 47015
Old January 4, 2018, 01:34 PM   #44
Real Gun

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not really looking into the 500 S&W as i don't think it would kick much more than a 460, and the 460 can shoot 45lc which would be nice. "
The 460 is a good choice but don't stock up on 45 colt cause once you fire a few you will realize that even if this gun CAN shoot them, it's pretty useless to do so. It like if you could fire 223 with a Barrett .50 BMG rifle. The weight of the gun makes the 45 colt feel like you're firing .22 ammo
The gun provides an option to shoot "Ruger-only" 45 Colt loads, e.g. 17 gr 2400 behind a 300 gr XTP.
Old January 5, 2018, 01:47 AM   #45
Viper225

My local gun shop has one that might work for you. It is a Taurus UltraLite Snub chambered in 44 magnum. I would like to have it to shoot shot shells in for snakes. It is very lite weight. With full house ammunition it would give new meaning to "unpleasant to shoot".
I have a 480 Super RedHawk Alaskan. It has about all the recoil I can enjoy shooting.

Bob
Old January 5, 2018, 09:51 AM   #46
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
Again, a complete miss of the point. Where did the OP say anything about "painful" recoil?
Proper technique, and good shooting gloves take the pain out of the big boomers, but leave the raw power to be enjoyed.
I guess I misunderstood the part where he says this.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.h View Post
Hello All,

I've been wanting to buy a handgun that has a ridiculous amount of recoil. The type of gun that i'd basically only shoot a few rounds out of every trip to the range.

I'm not really looking into the 500 S&W as i don't think it would kick much more than a 460.
Ridiculous must mean funny and not painful, yes? Ridiculous as in having my friends/wife shoot it and drop it on the ground so I can You-Tube it funny maybe, eh? Unfortunately, in every large group there are jerks, and the shooting sports are no exception. One particular kind of jerk is the sadist that delights in giving a new shooter a powerful, punishing gun to shoot, knowing that the shooter lacks the skill and experience to handle the recoil. The Internet is full of “funny” videos of this kind, where people are battered, bruised, and cut open by guns they have no business firing. Somehow I didn't relate "raw power" to "ridiculous recoil". I related it the other way. Must have been the word "ridiculous"....me bad. I doubt very much if the OP is worried about technique or shooting gloves when it's the recoil that seems to be the only concern here. Kinda evident when he doesn't want a more powerful .500 mag handgun, because it doesn't "kick" any more than it's sister in .460. Look at my Username. I shoot between 500 and 1000 rounds a year thru my X-Frame. Lots of your "raw power", never had to wear shooting gloves and my youngest son has been shooting it since he was 11 and weighed 90 pounds. We both have a purpose for it other than recoil and it takes plenty of practice with it for that intent. Helps it don't hurt. Of course we worked up to full power loads without any You-Tube videos. One only has to GTS to find a coupla true stories about folks that were killed when their friend/family gave them a gun thinking that it would be funny to see them shoot it. Pretty ridiculous, eh?
Old January 5, 2018, 08:24 PM   #47
hdwhit

Surely someone has brought this quest to a head by now by making a pistol in the penultimate non-NFA cartridge, the 50 BMG.
Old January 5, 2018, 08:40 PM   #48
lunger

You mean like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWw9-Wdbvao
Old January 5, 2018, 09:14 PM   #49
OzeanJaeger

.460 if you buy ammunition.

.500 is a reloaders dream revolver.

There is no comparison in full house loads. The .500 will reach African dangerous game levels at the top of the table shooting pills most magnum rifles dream about.

You can load specials that recoil like .38s, or go full John Ross and dislocate a shoulder.

I’d ignore the people who think you have to have some sort of inferiority complex to have fun shooting giant handguns. They’ve probably only shot a plastic 9mm, and think it’ll kill dragons.

While I agree that making a small engine obnoxiously loud is pointless, some are loud because they’re obnoxiously powerful (like a .500 Magnum).

My F5 Cobra has a stroked 427 and a thumper cam. I have to idle into my neighborhood so my neighbors don’t call the cops. The Mickey Thompson’s on it are like eraser rubber, but you have to be gentle on the peddle to keep it hooked up with 650hp pushing a 2,000lb car. It will blow smaller super bikes off the line. Why? Because it’s awesome, and the most fun car to drive, period. It isn’t under glass like a real one, and quite frankly it’s more powerful and handles better than the real thing.

Fun to shoot is a plenty good reason to me.

I guess I must have a manhood problem/inferiority complex, because I also have one of the first X Frames S&W offered, and love reloading for it and shooting it...endless possibilities.

Then again, maybe I just like big cams, solid lifters, huge horsepower, and loud explosions.
Old January 5, 2018, 10:34 PM   #50
jason.h

It's a bit funny the direction this thread went in,
Just wanted to say i would never let some one inexperienced shoot something like a 460.
I'll probably buy the s&w 460 with the 8 3/8" barrel and buy a box of 360 gr Buffalo bore loads. If needed i heard that you can remove the compensator from the revolver to make it kick more, might even buy a pair of wood grips.

And if i'm making a mistake, these guns seem to keep their value on the used market so that is good.

Tags
460 , magnum research , recoil , smith and wesson , thompson center encore