The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 4, 2009, 01:40 PM   #1
21CFA

Just wondering, before I start my collection:

Are "TAX" stamps deductible?? I may accumulate a half-dozen or so. Should I just become a Dealer?
Old October 4, 2009, 04:11 PM   #2
Willie Lowman

Well, I can't say about deducting NFA stamps but if you are looking at buying six registered machineguns, I can't see what harm getting a class III FFL would do. You can keep pre-samples when you give up your license.
Old October 5, 2009, 12:22 AM   #3
David Hineline

Excise tax is not deductible, becomming a dealer is like being a crack addict. Paying the money and tax for transferrables makes the best sense.
Old October 5, 2009, 09:05 AM   #4
Willie Lowman

Quote:
becomming a dealer is like being a crack addict.
That's funny. I am going to tell my class III dealer that. He fits the image too, with more pre-sample HKs than you can shake a stick at. He calls them his babies
Old October 7, 2009, 10:12 AM   #5
jestertoo

Can not become a dealer to avoid paying transfer taxes.
Old October 9, 2009, 07:16 AM   #6
SeekHer

I would strongly suggest contacting a Chartered Accountant about that...

As far as I know the Tax Stamp is a necessary part of your business, hence a deductible expense same a property or business taxes are especially if you sell the item...

It also depends if you are a business dealing in "outdoor" stuff or just a private collector then if the first you may and the second you can't...

I can't remember how Capital Gains works in the USA but if you sell the firearm the "tax stamp" is then a loss and it would reduce the amount you would have to pay...

I started a small company dealing in outdoor equipment--clothing, knives, flashlights, optics, fishing rods & reels, fishing tackle etc. just so I could buy stuff at wholesale pricing...Took out the necessary government licenses, I file an income statement every year and I show enough sales to be a legal business but declare a loss every year what with taxes, shipping, duties, excise tax, exchange etc...

When the human race dies out, it will be because it was brainwashed to be so totally, completely, utterly safe that it no longer dared to keep on living
Old October 12, 2009, 06:03 PM   #7
nolmsted

I wish I would have thought of that before I bought my guns. It would me nice to be able to deduct the tax