The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 25, 2018, 01:36 PM   #101
Danoobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Mac View Post
The exaggeration response is a very real phenomenon. I've known my father-in-law for over 40 years, and he has always responded in a very exaggerated way to any physical contact, loud noises, or input. Damnedest thing I have seen. I quite sure he would be knocked down by a .22 lr round fired into a vest.
One thing we are dealing with, which many of the physics equations ignores,
is we are shooting a live organism. Hit a nerve, or a contracted muscle mass,
or large hard bone, or a combination of the three, and there may be a flinch,
or movement, not necessarily backwards, from nerve response to the projectile impact.

Shot a Bobcat recently, at close range. It did a backflip, then ran ran off. Found it dead, some time later. How much of the flip was a reaction to the noise of the shot ? How much of the somersault was a reaction to being hit? Who knows, but obviously it was mortally
wounded, yet the impact of the round didn't push the animal over, or move it backwards
one bit.
Old February 25, 2018, 02:30 PM   #102
briandg

In addition to the bobcat story, you should see the gymnastics that every cat I have ever had would go through when shocked. If that cat was aware that there was a threat of any sort, that thing would have been coiled like a spring, and that reaction was completely normal. Mine have taken leaps that defy logic, how they manage to do it is beyond understanding. We know if a bug gets in during the summer because they always see them, and if the thing so much as twitches while they are examining it, they will honestly explode just like a cricket.

The other day, we saw a program that showed a guy being thrown backward down a flight of stairs when he was shot. my wife hollered 'ohh, good lord! that can't happen!'

If my wife gets it, I believe that everyone should be able to understand it.