The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 25, 2018, 05:06 PM   #1
DPris
Member Emeritus

2018 Winchester 73 Carbine

Picked it up yesterday, so they're apparently shipping, if you're interested.
Nicely done, in a 20-inch round-barreled version with CARBINE BUTTPLATE.
No shoulder-punchin' crescent.

This one in .45 Colt, with brass blade front sight, carbine rear, oil-finished wood.
No varnish, and it ain't red.
Brown, like all good walnut should oughta be.

And as with all of the Miroku 73s- NO tang safety & NO rebounding hammer.

Don't often say this, but I am provisionally in love.
If it shoots straight, something in the vault must be sacrificed to pay for it.
Denis
Old January 25, 2018, 05:31 PM   #2
COSteve

All in all it's a fun shooter. You'll enjoy it.

I've got an Uberti 1866 carbine version in 45 Colt as well and they are a ton of fun to shoot. Because of the weaker toggle link design, I keep my loads to 45 Colt standard pressure (14,000psi or lower) but even then, shooting 255grn FP X-Treme plated bullets is a joy. They feed slick as snot and with a good dose of Unique the carbine is a blast.

I really like the folding rear sight. Folded down it's good at 100yds, folded up using the bottom notch in the aperture, is good for 200yds, the center of the aperture is good for 300yds, and the notch at the top is good for 400yds.
Old January 25, 2018, 05:47 PM   #3
DPris
Member Emeritus

I've flirted with Uberti 60s, 66s, and 73s, but I've been trying to prod the Browning people into producing a CARBINE configuration of the 73 ever since they introduced the Miroku 73s.
ENOUGH already with the blasted crescent buttplates!!!!!!!

This is NICE!
Only criticism so far, till I see how it shoots, is that Miroku tends to leave the hammer spur checkering either too fine, or too polished.
Needs to be a shade less slicker.

If I end up keeping it, I'll probably replace the brass front blade (which will darken with age) with a German silver one (which won't).
Denis
Old January 25, 2018, 07:01 PM   #4
COSteve

My '66 is a 19" Yellowboy carbine which also has a carbine buttplate. I've also got a Uberti 1873 24" Special Sporting Rifle (pistol grip stock) in 45 Colt as well and while it has the curved rifle buttplate the standard pressure 45 Colt loads don't produce enough of a kick to make it uncomfortable.

Weight wise, the rifle's extra weight from the longer octagon barrel (1lb 0oz) likely makes up for the crescent buttplate design as both are comfortable to shoot. If the actions could take a 25,000psi 45 Colt+P, Ruger only load, then I'd say that the buttplate design would be an issue.

I've also got 2 Rossi 345mags, a 20" rd bbl carbine with a carbine buttplate and a 24" oct bbl rifle with a crescent buttplate. The magnum loads produce sharper felt recoil even though the 158grn bullets weigh much less than the 255grn 45 Colt bullets. Even at Elmer Keith 357mag load levels, neither Rossi is uncomfortable to shoot in part because the rifle weighs 1lb 12oz more than the carbine.
Old January 25, 2018, 09:33 PM   #5
DPris
Member Emeritus

Had a 73 in .32-20, crescent buttplate finally did it in.
Had a Yellowboy Carbine in .44-40, caliber finally did it in.

Never had a .45 Colt 73.
Denis
Old January 26, 2018, 10:31 PM   #6
COSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris View Post
Never had a .45 Colt 73.
Denis
You are correct, Winchester never chambered the original '66 or '73 in 45 Colt, however, I have one of each example in that caliber. Why not the 44-40? First of all, the original '66 was chambered in a 44 rimfire, not the 44-40 that the '73 was chambered in. Have you considered how much a 44 rimfire rifle would cost to use? So, I opted for a caliber for both my rifle and carbine I'd always wanted to have a SA pistol in, the venerable 45 Colt. Yes, I have an Uberti SA Army in 45 Colt to complete the 45 Colt package.

Further, Winchester's most powerful caliber the original '92 was chambered in was a 44-40, however, I wanted a much more powerful and versatile caliber for my Rossi carbine and rifle. As the '92's action is strong enough, I opted for the wonderful 357mag caliber for them as I can load from mouse fart 90grn popgun loads to 158grn screamers to 200grn heavy loads. In addition, because I was in the a couple of Armored Cavalry Units in during my time in the service, I also wanted a Uberti copy of the first 1873 Colt Peace Maker pistol produced; the 7.5" barreled SA Cav model pistol. What better rd to chamber it in that the 357mag? So I have one of them too to complete my 357mag package.
Old January 27, 2018, 04:00 AM   #7
DPris
Member Emeritus

The .44-40 was one of only two guns I had in that caliber & I just decided I wasn't going to be doing much with it. So it went.
The other is a Chiappa Mare's Leg that I still think is too cool to let go.

I have several .45 Colts & a couple tons of brass, so a '73 in that caliber seemed like the way to go.
Denis
Old January 27, 2018, 10:51 AM   #8
Hawg

If y'all would learn how to use a crescent buttplate it wouldn't hurt, especially with wimpy pistol cartridges. It goes against your upper arm NOT your shoulder.
Old January 27, 2018, 11:13 AM   #9
COSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
If y'all would learn how to use a crescent buttplate it wouldn't hurt, especially with wimpy pistol cartridges. It goes against your upper arm NOT your shoulder.
Yep, I don't see the pain from shooting a pistol caliber in a '66 or '73. Lots of 357mag and 45 Colt from both carbines with flat buttplates and rifles with crescent buttplates.
Old January 27, 2018, 11:28 AM   #10
zipspyder

Yup, I learned the arm vs. shoulder thing for my Rossi a while ago. I had a Rossi 38spl/357 mag that I couldn't hit the broad sign of a barn with. Pretty sure I was using the wrong ammo for it. Was using mostly copper rounds and should have used lead to find the right weight and diameter. Finally sold it. I purchased another Rossi 45 colt about a year ago and am now hitting a 4" steel plate at 50 yards. I'm really impressed how accurate it is. Taking it on a boar and ram hunt in March. Good purchase OP!
Old January 27, 2018, 03:12 PM   #11
DPris
Member Emeritus

I don't need to learn anything about how to shoot the crescent.
I am not new to leverguns, by any stretch of the imagination, and I understand completely where it's supposed to be used.

I do not shoot any rifle off the shoulder, against my arm.
That's all there is to it.
I'm not changing that for any levergun.
It doesn't fit or feel right & won't happen again.

Even in that .32 Uberti '73, it wasn't recoil that caused the problem, it was just the feel of the crescent on my shoulder that finally killed it off.

I won't go that route again, and this carbine buttplate was worth the wait.
Denis
Old January 27, 2018, 06:10 PM   #12
Hawg

Quote:
Even in that .32 Uberti '73, it wasn't recoil that caused the problem, it was just the feel of the crescent on my shoulder that finally killed it off.
That's because that's not where it goes. Just sayin. I tend to shoot everything just off the shoulder.
Old January 27, 2018, 06:19 PM   #13
DPris
Member Emeritus

Come on Hawg, do I insult your intelligence like that?

I was explaining that I had a crescent, I've shot crescents, I know crescents, I know how they were intended to be used, I won't shoot them on the arm, I dislike them, and I won't own one again.
Simple.
Can't put it any plainer & don't need a tutorial on a crescent.
After shooting privately & professionally for over 45 years, I know what I like & what I don't like.

And all that should describe why I DO like this carbine configuration, which is the subject of the thread.
Denis
Old January 27, 2018, 07:14 PM   #14
Hawg

Quote:
Come on Hawg, do I insult your intelligence like that?
I wasn't insulting your intelligence. There's people that might not know.
Old January 27, 2018, 09:29 PM   #15
JWT

Have a Miroku made Winchester 73 .357/.38 with the octagon barrel and case hardened receiver. It is a beautiful gun in my opinion. Very good finish, nice wood, and extremely smooth action. I have the crescent butt plate which I happen to like. Any of the model 73 offerings from Miroku / Winchester will darn nice guns.
Old January 27, 2018, 10:14 PM   #16
DPris
Member Emeritus

Very glad they didn't go the rebounding hammer & tang safety on these '73s.
Woulda killed the model off for me, like it did on their others.
Denis
Old March 7, 2018, 06:00 AM   #17
dos0711

I also have a Miroku Winchester and it is my finest built lever action. Very solid and beautiful blueing and wood grain...A++
KYJim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old March 7, 2018, 08:16 AM   #18
Mike Irwin
Staff

It doesn't look like Winchester is making the 1873 in .32-20 anymore.

Thanks, not interested. I really want a lever or pump rifle in .32-20.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 7, 2018, 01:17 PM   #19
DPris
Member Emeritus

My wife has two Marlins in .32-20, left over from her CAS days.
Both found at gun shows.
She'll never let 'em go.
Denis
Old March 7, 2018, 01:33 PM   #20
Mike Irwin
Staff

If she ever decides to set one free....

It will readily find a home with me!

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 7, 2018, 09:17 PM   #21
DPris
Member Emeritus

She flat loves those rifles.
We had longer .357 Magnum magazine tubes installed for full-length capacity & she got to be pretty good with 'em.

I had to throttle way back on velocities to meet CAS rules.

When I started out loading for her, lead semi-wads were cratering our steel targets.

Nice & trim little guns.
It'd be nice if Winoku would offer 92s in the caliber.
Denis
Old March 23, 2018, 01:01 PM   #22
BusGunner007

Saw one in a set of 4 at Hamley's Saddle Shop in Pendleton last weekend.
Gold plated and engraved for the Pendleton Round Up.

$11,995.00
Beautiful gun.
.44-40, I think.

LET 'ER BUCK!
Old March 23, 2018, 05:11 PM   #23
Scorch

Haven't been to Hamley Saddlery in close to 30 years. I'm amazed it's still there, even if it is a Pendleton tradition.
Old March 24, 2018, 04:26 PM   #24
BusGunner007

Scorch, I'll have to stop by the shops one of these days.
Maybe have a couple projects in mind.