The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 26, 2012, 09:05 AM   #1
Kimio

SBR and tax stamps, can someone clarify?

I've been doing my homework lately but would like to make sure I'm clear on how the process works. Eventually I would like to build an SBR'ed AR15 (Around the 10 or 12" range), and I know there are some legal hoops and jumps I need to go through so that everything is nice and legal.

From my understanding, I'll need to fill out the appropriate paperwork and pay a $200 tax stamp in order to legally own a SBR firearm. I can't remember if it was for select fire weapons and sound suppressors only that I would need a signature from my local CLEO (I think it may apply for SBR' too)

Is there anything else I need to know? Currently I'm in the state of Utah and they do allow the ownership of SBR' among others, so I know I'll be fine as far as local laws are concerned.

I don't think being in the military really applies here since service members are still bound by local civilian laws if I recall correctly.

Any clarification on this matter would be appreciated (Also possibly any suggestions on where to send a barrel to have it cut down would be appreciated as well.)
Old September 26, 2012, 11:05 AM   #2
The Long Shot

I would recommend that you speak with a local ffl/sot concerning the specifics about local law or any other questions that you may have.

I'd recommend using a gun trust because you don't have to submit fingerprint cards, you dont need a CLEO signature, and you can add people to your trust so your friends can hold or shoot it without it beeing an illegal transfer by the ATF's definition. To set up a gun trust make sure you use a competent attorney and not a program like will maker, because if it's not set up right you can get into some trouble.

To register the nfa item to yourself you will have to submit fingerprint cards, get a CLEO signature, and of course pay the $200 tax stamp. Doing so in this method means that your friends, wife, or anyone else won't be able to (technically) legally shoot, pick up, or touch it technically. Also, if say you are at public and your wife's home,you have to lock up the gun and keep it out of her possession. With the trust, you can add her to it and she can take possession of it without being an illegal transfer.

Any competent gunsmith can chop and crown a barrel, you don't need a sot to do it because the lower is the sbr. Just make sure you have registered the lower as a sbr before you have a short barreled upper in your possession ( it can look like intent to make an illegal sbr).

I'm not going to give legal advice on what forms to file or how to file them, that's something for a local ffl/sot or a Lawyer.

Good luck on your sbr.
Old September 26, 2012, 11:47 PM   #3
medalguy

To manufacture a SBR or SBS, use a Form 1:

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf
Old September 30, 2012, 07:36 PM   #4
Rob62

Without question create a "Living Revocable Trust" to purchase any NFA items through.

There is tons of reading about how these work, and how they are set up on the Internet. You can do it (create the trust) yourself, and safe about $300-$500 lawyers fees to have them do it for you.

Seperate $200 tax stamps are needed for each and every NFA item you acquire.

So your SBR would need a stamp and then if you wanted to get a suppressor for it, it would require another tax stamp.

If you want more info or have a lawyer create the LRT look at guntrustlawyer.com
Old September 30, 2012, 10:30 PM   #5
tepin

this guy charged me 199:
http://bunkerlawgroup.com/practice-a...trusts-lawyer/