The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 15, 2015, 09:37 PM   #1
Bubsy

NYC Permit Holders Prohibited from shooting at non NYC Ranges?

Since getting my NYC Residence Permit 9 years ago, I have gone to a pistol range on Long Island (Nassau County) almost weekly to practice shooting with one of my 6 handguns. Today, when I arrived at the range, I was told by the range instructor that NYC Pistol Permit Holders are now prohibited from practicing at any range other than those within NYC itself. I was told that this applies to NYPD officers as well. I haven't seen anything about this law change in the media. Does anyone know anything about this? For years I have been shooting at a private range in Levittown as well as the public range in Mitchell Field near Roosevelt Field and have never had any issues until now.

Thanks,

bubsy
Old February 15, 2015, 09:45 PM   #2
Bubsy

new pistol permit ruling in NYC

I found a link to the ruling in another forum. This is a serious concern.

http://www.longislandfirearms.com/fo...utside-of-nyc/
Old February 15, 2015, 10:13 PM   #3
Bubsy

Just re read the NYC Pistol Permit Manual. The Rules of the City of New York state that with a premises license you can transport your handgun to and from an authorized range. But nowhere do they define what an "authorized range" is.
Old February 17, 2015, 07:14 PM   #4
Musketeer

"The fact that few, or even no, such ranges exist is not tantamount to a ban; the number of firing ranges open to the public is a function of the market, and not the challenged rule," he wrote.
He called the restrictions on the transport of permitted handguns to only city-approved ranges a "regulatory measure" that does not strike at the heart of a Second Amendment right.

Wow. NYC can obliterate at will any range within its jurisdiction. It creates draconian rules for permit holders while demanding they use only 7 ranges within city limits. The judge then goes so far as to say their could be no ranges and it wouldn't be an issue because it is determined by the market, even though NYC restrictions make it nearly impossible for any new ranges to open and does everything possible to drive out those that remain. It isn't a ban though...

NY and NYC's only hope is federal intervention to enforce the 2A.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old February 17, 2015, 07:23 PM   #5
Armybrat

Good luck with getting the DOJ to help the NYC gun owners.
Old February 19, 2015, 12:28 AM   #6
62coltnavy

An entirely bizarre opinion. What this judge is saying is that if you own a rifle or shotgun, you can't take it anywhere to go hunting? Or is this law specific to handguns? Are NYC permits invalid outside of city limits? If not, then the regulation directly conflicts with the federal FOPA concerning legal transportation of weapons. Is the law there that you do not get a state-wide possession permit, but only a county by county permit? How does such a rule not burden the right to "bear" arms outside the home? [Sorry, I forgot--the right to keep and bear arms only applies to the home....Uh huh.]
Old February 19, 2015, 04:31 PM   #7
heyjoe

Bubsy Mitchel Field is accepting all NY permits. Levittown is not accepting NYC residence only permits. the ruling doesnt apply to police or those holding unrestricted permits.
Old February 20, 2015, 11:10 AM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

I have no idea of the actual details, but from my far removed distance, I can tell you what it looks like.

It looks like legal NYC pistol owners are once again pawns in a bureaucratic pee-ing contest. It looks like someone in Nassau is ticked at NYC and is not honoring NYC permits as a means of expressing their ire. With the law abiding gun owner caught in the middle, again.

I grew up in NY state, during the 70s, moved away in 79. So my knowledge of NY law stopped being up to date about then, so you will have to check carefully to see what is, and is not current NY law.

When I lived there, and had a NY state pistol permit, it stated right on the permit that it was not valid in NYC. Everywhere else in the state, it was valid, but not in NYC. ONLY permits issued in NYC were valid in NYC. NYC permits were considered valid throughout the state, but NOT vice versa.

You'll have to check the current laws carefully. There may have been a change that allowed your situation to happen. OR, perhaps, there might not have been. I am guessing here, you need to check ALL applicable laws (and it might NOT be a gun law being used for the justification here), I can see a legal situation where the rest of NYS might not be required by law to honor NYC permits (maybe for any/everything), not just pistols.

The fact that the state always has honored NYC permits, might just be a courtesy, not a legal mandate. It might constitute the needed precedent if this becomes a court matter, but NYS (and it could be legally a county by county decision) might not be legally bound to honor NYC permits.

It might be that the fact that the State (through all its govts) has, since the implementation of the state permit system, generations ago, always honored NYC permits might just have been a policy, and not a legal requirement.

IF this is the case, and the Nassau Co. officials ARE on legal ground, then they do have the right to refuse you. Contact your local guns rights groups, NYC and NYS! see if they are aware this is going on, and if so, what their stance is, and go from there.

With the limited information I have, these are the possibilities I see, in no particular order,

1) The refusal to accept your permit may be the actions of a "rogue" official, acting on their own, and against the law/policy precedents.

2) The refusal is sanctioned, official Nassau county policy.
It has to be one or the other. Which one determines the next effective step to be taken.

IF it is official, legal policy, it may be deliberately directed at gun owners (and in NY, that's always possible), or it may be feuding bureaucrats using gun owners as pawns or catspaws in some other disagreement, simply because they have the power to do so.

You need to find out (and make others aware) to determine what you/we can do about it. Until then, your only option is to obey the law, all of it, while working to get things fixed.
Old February 20, 2015, 01:55 PM   #9
heyjoe

this is as a result of a challenge to new york city laws pertaining to premesis residence only pistol permits not being allowed to be taken out of the city under 38 Rules of the City of New York ยง5-23. its none of the above things you listed. nassau county ranges are reacting to the federal court decision which upheld those laws. it is interesting that the public nassau county range is continuing to honor all new york city permits while the private ranges are not.

the law does not apply to unrestricted permits.
Old February 20, 2015, 07:52 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

clearly you are closer to the situation than I am. Thank you for the clairifying information.
Old February 25, 2015, 10:53 PM   #11
TDL

Quote:
With the limited information I have, these are the possibilities I see, in no particular order,

1) The refusal to accept your permit may be the actions of a "rogue" official, acting on their own, and against the law/policy precedents.

2) The refusal is sanctioned, official Nassau county policy.
It has to be one or the other. Which one determines the next effective step to be taken.
3) NY officials simply happy to introduce a "chilling effect." Not actually illegal, but ambiguous enough to harm gun owners
Old March 17, 2015, 06:11 PM   #12
alan

Re this latest foolishness, I grew up in NYC specifically in Brooklyn. I left NYC in 1967, and have not, to this day, regretted it.
Old March 17, 2015, 07:19 PM   #13
TMD

I left Long Island in1981. Never looked back.