The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 12, 2012, 09:05 AM   #1
Mrgunsngear

Dawson ICE Magwell For Gen4 Glocks With Magwell Review

Up front––I'm a fan of magwells in general on my non-carry guns. They help ensure your hand gets high up on the grip and aid in reloads. I also like to run my Gen4 Glocks with a medium backstrap since I generally like the Gen3 Glock grip feel. But... until Dawon released this magwell all the products out there for the Gen4s only worked without a backstrap so I've been patiently waiting.

Pros:
-Aids in reloads
-Easy installation
-Replacable bottom inserts; so if you wear it out (good luck with that) you can just buy the insert instead of an entire new magwell
-Dawson has great customer service
-The finish looks similar to the 'shiny' Glock finish so it blends with the gun well
-Can be used with the flush basepad but extended mags are certainly easier to use

Cons:
-Only model availible weighs 2.9oz. I prefer heavy magwells but that's a personal preference

Here's a quick product review video and demonstration of the magwell in action:

MAGWELL HD REVIEW VIDEO LINK
Old September 12, 2012, 09:24 AM   #2
Creeper

Looks to be very well made... and quite attractive, if you're into the "attractiveness" of Glock stuff.
2.9 oz. added to a Glock, all things considered, isn't too much to worry about for anything other than perhaps a CC gun.

Is most of the additional weight via the use of the "Seattle Slug"? If so, then you can, if they make the option for the Gen 4, add even more weight with the heavy slug.

Cheers,
C
Old September 13, 2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Is most of the additional weight via the use of the "Seattle Slug"? If so, then you can, if they make the option for the Gen 4, add even more weight with the heavy slug.
It seems to be although it's not really weighted. It's a block of what looks like aluminum that's drilled and tapped. I'd like to see them make a brass insert instead and bump the weight up. My guess is they will but are unsure about demand so they just released this version for now...