The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 3, 2018, 12:02 AM   #1
gearmonkey

Load recipe for 45-70(modern Henry) Reloader 7+300 gr lead

I have these Penn bullets that are 300 grain and powder coated. Terrible looking powder coat job. I have about 500+ of them. I usually shoot Hornady 300 grain jacketed HPs for hunting white tail and love them. Id like to use up these penn powder coats, and some Reloader 7 powder, that I have on hand. Anyone have a good load recipe? The Henry is the H010.
Im looking to plink away this summer on steel plates for fun. These penn bullets are new from 2016 and the powdercoat or what ever coating, is red.
I have imr 3031 and imr 4198 on hand, but want to use up the reloader 7. I don't expect much from these bullets. Just looking to plink them away on steel targets at 100 yards and under.
I have no source for loading information for coated lead bullets. Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Old June 3, 2018, 12:10 AM   #2
Geezerbiker

Load them like they were plain lead bullets. The powder coating doesn't effect the hardness of the bullet...

I like #2400 and Unique for lead cast bullet loads in the .45-70. There's lots of data out there if you look for it. I have one of those LoadAll books and it has a lot of old load data that's had to find these days.

Tony
Old June 3, 2018, 07:07 AM   #3
gearmonkey

Hmm. I have 3 reloading books.Lee, Hornady, and Lyman. None of these 3 give a loading for a 300 grain lead bullet with reloader 7. Also...being unfamiliar w coated bullets and no experience with lead cast bullets, I would like to cowboy off these redheaded stepsons and return to my Hornady #4500 JHP without messing up my barrel. So I'd still appreciate anyone's experienced loading recipe. I don't want to guess it would be okay to load as jacketed. Surely there is more to it than that?
I'm concerned about NOT being able to remove any fouling from the coating when I return to using jacketed. Who knows about this?
Old June 3, 2018, 08:07 AM   #4
NoSecondBest

I have, or have owned, quite a few 45-70 rifles of various types. It's my favorite cartridge. That being said, for the cost of the Penn bullets you have vs messing around with unknown loads you won't be using for hunting......give them to someone else. They simply aren't worth bothering with. Stick to what works already.
Old June 3, 2018, 08:54 AM   #5
gearmonkey

Ha ha ha....they weigh too much to mail.
I am the only one in all my friends....who shoots 45-70. They laugh at me. Thought about making sinkers out of them. But...if anyone knows a recipe for reloader 7 and 300 grain coated cast...I'll give em a try on metal plates at 50+100 yards. Who knows? Maybe they will surprise me. I do regret buying them. Have them for 2 years now.
Old June 3, 2018, 09:40 AM   #6
NoSecondBest

Quote:
Ha ha ha....they weigh too much to mail.
I am the only one in all my friends....who shoots 45-70. They laugh at me. Thought about making sinkers out of them. But...if anyone knows a recipe for reloader 7 and 300 grain coated cast...I'll give em a try on metal plates at 50+100 yards. Who knows? Maybe they will surprise me. I do regret buying them. Have them for 2 years now.
I've bought bulk bullets in the past and didn't like the way they performed regardless of the loads I tried. Many factors enter into this like diameter, alloy, etc. I ended up giving the entire box to someone who casts and let them melt them down and use them in something else. Coated lead bullets use the same data as any other cast bullet. The Lyman 50th shows RL7 at 50.0-55.0g (min/max) for a 292g cast bullet and for the 330g cast bullet it's 40.0-42.0g of RL7.
Old June 3, 2018, 10:34 AM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Gearmonkey,

After looking at several older sources, I would try 42 grains as a plinking load, to start. This should be a trapdoor Springfield-safe load.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 3, 2018, 09:22 PM   #8
gearmonkey

Thanks for the replies. I'll try a few at 42 grains n see. Least I'll have n idea.
Old June 6, 2018, 09:47 PM   #9
gearmonkey

Huh...after 2 years of looking at these 300 grain Penn bullets, the coating is so bad, I'm gonna ditch them. See if one of my friends wants to make fish weights out of them. I'm sold on the Hornady 300 grain hollow point #45000. So taking "no second best" advice...I'm sticking to what I KNOW, and really like.
Maybe...I'll get a nice day fishing...lol
The coating was so poor...looked aweful and had flakes of coating from other bullets. Weight was off a few grains between each. I couldn't bring myself to punish my gun barrel with them.
Old June 8, 2018, 12:35 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

A modern Henry still uses lever action load data. However, a cast 300 grain Trap Door load will work just fine. Lots of cast bullet data, using regular powders, on Hodgdon's site under Trap Door loads.
Alliant's site gives only jacketed loads. Their manual probably has cast data.
Old June 9, 2018, 07:08 AM   #11
Kevin Rohrer

Try 65-70gr of 2F BP. Lots of smoke, and lots of fun.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old June 17, 2018, 02:50 PM   #12
1100 tac

NO air space between the Holy Black and the bullet, needs about 1/6" compression. This is important!