The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 17, 2006, 09:55 AM   #1
rellascout

Thoughts on a Colt Cobra 2"

Looking at used Colt Cobra 2"

What are thoughts on this little Colt?

What's a good price for one with tight lock up and 80% blue?

Help a semi auto guy out.

Thanks
Old October 17, 2006, 12:02 PM   #2
MADISON

Colt Cobra 2

I have owned sever Colt Cobras, over the years. Here is what I think of them:
[1] They carry 6 rounds in the cylinder.
[2] They are bulkier than the old 5 round S&W 36.
[3] They are stronger than the old .38 Special.

If you are satisfied with a .38 Special then go for it!!!

Last edited by MADISON; October 18, 2006 at 08:12 AM.
Old October 17, 2006, 02:37 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

The Colt snubbies were noted for higher quality, better accuracy, and for being stronger than the small S&W "J" frame guns of the day.

The Colt snubby, starting with the Detective Special in 1927, was the "Gold Standard" in small revolvers up until the 1970's, and still delivers the goods today.

The post-1972 heavy, shrouded barrel models were factory rated for "up to" 1500 rounds of +P ammo in the aluminum Cobra and Agent version.
Old October 17, 2006, 02:50 PM   #4
SIGSHR

I am a Colt Man but I am also a Steel and Walnut Man. To me aluminum frame guns are meant to be carried much but fired little, but I have found if
you don't fire them much you will not develop the familiarity and proficiency
you will need if the need arises. I find the weight savings ephemeral, if you
are that sensitive to the weight when "packing iron" then perhaps you need to
start "pumping iron". Just my $.02.
Old October 17, 2006, 07:00 PM   #5
BluesBear

Location: Mill Creek, Washington (The Great Pacific NorthWet)
Normally I would vehemently agree with SIGSHR.
Except that I don't consider the Colt's Cobra & Agent to fall into the flyweight revolver catagory.

With their steel six shot cylinder and fatter steel barrel the Colts have much more weight than those titillating and unobtanium five shot revolvers produced by the big Massachusetts and little Brazilian companies.

The Cobra and it's less fancy little brother the Agent both possess enough mass to make extended range sessions comfortable. and don't require porting to make themselves controlable.

I consider the Colt Cobra to be the finest 2" alloy framed revolver ever produced. I've owned a few. I've carried a few.
Several years ago I went through a period of temporary insanity and purged myself of everything rollmarked .38 Special.
The Cobra is the most regretted of that horrible decision.

The "Fashion Calibers" seem to come and go but when all is said and done everybody comes back to the forty-five.
(Chris Curino - Kimber Mfg. Co.)

Old October 17, 2006, 09:12 PM   #6
Chindo18Z

I've concealed carried both a Detective Special (w/ barrel shroud) and an older unshrouded Cobra. Preferred them to my S&W .38 M60. I liked the six shots better than five. Prefer Smith DA pull to Colt, but both are good.

The Cobra was my favorite out of the three; a joy to carry, good trigger, and didn't seem to be as susceptible to rust from sweat as the DS (because of aluminum frame?). It was as accurate as any other D or J snub. The Cobra seemed to be a perfect blend of weight, size, accuracy, and firepower. Excellent trigger. It was a beater ex-LEO gun and not especially pretty, but I wish I still had it.

If you find one, get it. It is still every bit as good or better than any current snub made by S&W or Taurus.

Just remember that it is not a heavy duty .357 framed package (like a Ruger SP 101). It was designed to be light and easy to carry .38 for close range use.

I priced a nice (85-90%) nickel DS in southern Ohio about 2 years ago for $445. I'd think that you might find a decent Cobra in the $425-$500 range depending on what part of the country you're in. Colt revolvers are scarce everywhere and anything in good shape under $400 is a great deal. I'd hate to pay anything over $500 unless I just HAD to have a particular weapon.

Besides, you won't lose any money on it if you hang on to it for more than a year.
Old November 14, 2009, 04:02 PM   #7
Tommy Vercetti

I saw a nickel plated Colt Cobra recently for $800, a bit too steep for me
Old November 14, 2009, 08:24 PM   #8
cocojo

That's what I carry. 1967 Cobra with agent grips and tyler grip adapter. My agent is 1956 set up the same way. I like them better than my J frames. Six shots v five shot. My timing is on with six shots. What year is the one your looking at? I much prefer unshrouded Colts plus I think they are better built and have better triggers. How to tell ware on Colts. Lockup after you pulled the trigger all the way through, hold the trigger back and check tightness of the cyclinder. Next right under the barrel with the cylinder opens, check for cracks at six o'clock. Next check the ratcheting face on the recoil plate for deep gouges from the ratchets. Shows +p's used or excessive loads if really gouged out. The face plate around where the round goes off for ware. Lastly cock the hammer back and push on the back of the hammer slightly, if it falls, the sears worn. There are other areas but this is a good start. Never can go wrong with an old Colt.
Old November 14, 2009, 08:41 PM   #9
Pbearperry

Great gun.Wish I owned one.
Old November 14, 2009, 10:20 PM   #10
doc540

gets my vote

Cobra

Agent
Old November 15, 2009, 10:38 AM   #11
unit 900

My well used Cobra gets carried a lot. Current pricing has been trending higher, I guess that a 80% gun (not sure if it has the lug or not) would be close to $400 in my neck of the woods. Shooting regular pressure ammo and the occasional +P should have the gun last longer than us.
The bottom revolver with the T grip is the Cobra. The upper one is a 1970 NIB DS

Old November 15, 2009, 11:46 AM   #12
Glenn E. Meyer

I got one like Doc's for $350 a couple of years ago. Nice gun.
Old November 15, 2009, 01:11 PM   #13
dgludwig

The Cobra/Agent carries 20% more ammo than an Airweight and weighs the same. What's not to like?
Old November 15, 2009, 01:32 PM   #14
trigger happy

mine is nickel plated and goes wherever me and my right front pocket go, I bought a Galco horsehide pocket holster and loaded it up with Winchester 158 grain lead hollowpoints

unbelievably easy to carry
Old November 15, 2009, 04:46 PM   #15
Terry A

From a semi guy also rellascout

I've always like the Detective Special, Agent and Cobra. My grandpap had the D.S. and one of his hunting buddies had the Agent. Solid and neat looking guns. Another one from this family was the Colt Police Positive Special, which my grandpap had in 6" barrel. All good handguns. I especially liked the original checkered wooden grips that came with these models.

Besides being built solid and looking nice, they were good shooting guns. I personally have never shot the Agent, but I have the other ones and they impressed me much.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old November 15, 2009, 08:10 PM   #16
Webleymkv

I had an older one (serial # put the mfgr. date at 1953) and found it to be an excellent pocket gun. My carry loads of choice were 110grn Standard Pressure Hornady Critical Defense or Winchester 148grn HBWC (this gun was old enough not to be rated for +P). I sold it about three months ago to a lady I know that was in need of a lightweight CC revolver.
Old November 15, 2009, 09:45 PM   #17
doc540

Agent shoots better'n I do

Old November 17, 2009, 06:51 PM   #18
avakadava

Cobra Carry

I have been carrying a Colt Cobra in my front pocket for over 20 years.
I have "U
Old November 17, 2009, 07:30 PM   #19
GLK

They are great little guns and can be surprisingly accurate with the right ammo. My lovely Wife has this Cobra(mid 70s example)in her night stand and like someone else already ask, with 20% more ammo what is not to like? I wouldn't sell it for $400.00,
I slip it in my pocket from time to time when walking the hounds. With its light weight I hardly even know it is there.
Old November 18, 2009, 02:29 AM   #20
bamaranger

wish I had one

I carry a S&W 36, only because I have never seen a colt agent, cobra, or DS for sale when I had the money. If I knew where one was, espcially the cobra, I'd trade tomorrow.
Old November 18, 2009, 02:50 AM   #21
Boomer8404

I carry one with Pachmayr Compac Grips on it. Getting ready to take the plunge and bob the hammer. Over all I love it.

It was made in 1974. Paid $500 for it and it had never been fired. I had always thought I'd over paid for the little pistol, but once I started reading about them on the forums, I quickly realized I got a good dang deal cause it was actually being sold on consignment and the guy I bout it from would have wanted about $700 for it if not on consignment. Either way, I love it. Would love to have another to go with it, a pair of 3rd production Agents and 3rd production Dick Specials too. Take them if you can get a chance at them.

Last edited by Boomer8404; November 18, 2009 at 03:21 AM.
Old November 18, 2009, 11:04 AM   #22
doc540

Dick

Old November 18, 2009, 04:55 PM   #23
savit260

Just a whisker wider than a J frame, with one more round... plus it's a Colt.

This one goes in my front pocket when I need something smallish.

... and for some reason, I shoot this much better than I shoot J frames. Nicer trigger, that's for sure.

Old November 20, 2009, 12:57 AM   #24
avakadava

Colt Cobra carry

Hi Scout:

I am an old 67 year man that carries, on a daily basis, a Colt Cobra in
an intense, multi-cultural urban area. My 50 year old Cobra is in my front
pocket in an Uncle Mikes, in my belt or under a newspaper in my car. I
load it with 110 gr HdraShoks.

I use Eagle Secret Service grips, which are much more concealable that Badger or Spegel grips

The Cobra is the best concealed weapon.

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited by avakadava; November 20, 2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old November 20, 2009, 10:53 AM   #25
doc540

avak, can you post a picture of the SS grips that are much more concealable than Badger's?

I've heard nothing but good things about them, and I might try a set.

These are the only one's I could find on the Eagle site:

They don't look a lot smaller than my Badger's, but if they are I'm sure interested!