The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 13, 2017, 12:08 AM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
It was certainly done by the military I was in. No weapon ever went back in the arms room without a white glove (and q-tip) inspection. Now if it's detrimental in some way to clean a pistol that often, I'd like to hear that argument.
OK, here's a couple...

First, lets be clear about the difference between field stripping and detail stripping the gun, for cleaning. Some guns are made for it, and some are not.

The main reason the military gets away with it (without damage when done correctly) is that their guns are made for that. Made to be taken down and reassembled (usually by people who aren't really well trained to do it, and who might do it in the worst possible conditions. That's something taken into account when the gun is designed. These days, the military won't buy anything that isn't made that way.

However, there are civilian firearms that are simply not designed that way, and constant stripping and reassembly can cause excessive wear on certain parts. With the exception of guns designed for military use, the older the design, the more likely it is to be damaged by too frequent stripping.

Quote:
The difficulty in disassembling/assembling the Rugers is there,,,
But it can be overcome by diligently following the manual.
It can also be overcome by simply not tearing down the pistol, absent a clear and present danger. Dunk it in the salt swamp, then yes, fine clean it all up (though this can be done without complete disassembly as well)

But enough cleaning to keep the gun running fine, for decades can be done without taking it apart at all.

Quote:
Now if it's detrimental in some way to clean a pistol that often, I'd like to hear that argument.
Another argument applies to .22s. Cleaning the barrel, every time MAY keep your gun from reaching its accuracy potential.

It is a long observed fact among people shooting match .22s rifles that the barrels shoot their best (smallest groups) when they are "well seasoned" (rather dirty). This is the opposite of centerfire barrels where generally as fouling builds up, accuracy degrades. With .22s it seems that cleaning them degrades the accuracy, and groups get bigger (some say they go to hell) from a freshly cleaned .22 RF barrel. it's often reported that it takes a couple hundred rounds (without cleaning) to get the barrel back to shooting as good as it was before cleaning.

Now, this may not make a difference to you, or to me, but to some, it does, and that is another reason SOME guns shouldn't be q-tip and white glove cleaned throughout, every time, before being put away.

The military is OCD about cleaning for what they consider to be good reasons.
Some civilians are just OCD about cleaning.
Old December 13, 2017, 01:53 AM   #27
Maverick36

I have a Victory and about 3000 rounds through it. I got the Tandemkross trigger,which is a great and reasonably priced upgrade. I put a rather cheap red dot from Amazon on it,makes it fun to shoot.
Very accurate and reliable.

I clean my firearms after every range trip and like the easy takedown and further disassembly to clean it.
I shoot a variety of ammo ( Aguila,Federal,Armscor) and the Victory works great with all of them.
For $300 on sale hard to beat.
Old December 13, 2017, 02:01 AM   #28
ms6852

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBussy View Post
I appreciate everyone's thoughts so far. I believe, based on my research and what I have learned here, that I am leaning towards either the Ruger MK IV (I just hate how the earlier models take down) or the Smith and Wesson Victory. I will be purchasing new because ... well, because I like new.

For takedown ease the MK IV seems hard to beat, where the Victory does allow a user to more fully disassemble the weapon. Both are available in SS frames (might be something I'd like to have). The Victory needs tools (an included Allen wrench) for basic takedown. Decisions, decisions.

"They" say Smith and Wesson are jewels and Rugers are tools. That's probably no longer as true now as it was in the past.
There have been issues with the MK4 since it is a new production model. I do not know if those issues have been addressed so I would find out before you purchase it from the manufacturer.
Old December 13, 2017, 07:46 AM   #29
LBussy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarandTd View Post
S&W lifetime repair policy.....
That reminds me of that scene from Tommy Boy ...

https://youtu.be/mEB7WbTTlu4

I don't know what Ruger's stated warranty is, but I have never had them charge me a dime for sending a gun back to them. Even when it's been my fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Another argument applies to .22s. Cleaning the barrel, every time MAY keep your gun from reaching its accuracy potential.
Interesting, that's a new one on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6852 View Post
There have been issues with the MK4 since it is a new production model. I do not know if those issues have been addressed so I would find out before you purchase it from the manufacturer.
I've seen the recall. That happens with new models and it doesn't bug me too much. The manufacturers always take care of it (just like my P320).
Old December 13, 2017, 08:28 AM   #30
ammo.crafter

22 auto

Ruger Mark series.

Choose either the MK I or MK II. The MK III and IV are NG.

Lots of great after market for the I and/or II from Volquartsen.
Old December 13, 2017, 10:59 AM   #31
aarondhgraham

Hello LBussy,,,

Sorry for making your decision more difficult.

The NEOS does have a very narrow grip,,,
That's one thing I warn people about.

I have S&W K-Frame sized hands,,,
So the NEOS fits my hand very nicely.

Of the five pistols I mentioned,,,
The NEOS is by far the easiest to take down.

One knurled screw/knob and the barrel comes off,,,
Then just move the slide forward to remove it.

One thing though,,,
You cock the action before removing the barrel.

Do Not pull the trigger with the action still on the frame,,,
You will launch the firing pin into a black hole.

If you purchase a separate barrel,,,
They can be bought in 4.5" and 6" lengths,,,
You can swap one for the other in 60 seconds flat.

About that muscle memory thing with the safety,,,
I'm of the opinion that one will simply adapt to any new gun.

Anyways, happy searching/choosing,,,
Let us know what you decide to purchase.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old December 13, 2017, 11:26 AM   #32
hdbiker

I've owned a Mk1 Target, 6 7/8th inch barrel sense 1976. Once you learn how to field strip it it's not a problem at all. The updates on the Mk2 would be nice, mag release and bolt staying open on last shot. I love the gun and it's amazingly accurate, hundreds of rabbits and squirrels will attest to that. hdbiker
Old December 13, 2017, 05:30 PM   #33
GarandTd

Quote:
That reminds me of that scene from Tommy Boy
Haha! "You could take a good look at a steak by sticking your head up a bull's a$$....., but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it"
Old December 13, 2017, 05:45 PM   #34
Prof Young

Did not like my S&W 22A

I owned the S&W 22A. The take down was easy and I had two barrels, a four inch and a Six inch. The thing that I didn't like was the mag release right in the middle of the front of the grip. Squeeze the grip hard enough and the mag falls out. That may not be true on more recent models.

I tried a Beretta Neos, liked it a lot but couldn't get it to shoot decent groups.

Now I own the Buckmark Contour 7.25. Love it. With a scope on it and off a sandbag it shoots one inch groups at 25 yards. Even with open sights and no support I can shoot it well enough to hunt squirrel. Great little gun and would recommend it.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old December 14, 2017, 09:33 AM   #35
cecILL

Stripped my Mark II down for years with no issues. Didn't realize there was a problem till the internet came along. There are less pieces than a child's picture puzzle.
Old December 14, 2017, 09:43 AM   #36
Hunter Customs

My favorite 22 semi-auto was the S&W 422. I still have one in pristine condition.
Old December 14, 2017, 01:13 PM   #37
bassJAM1

I have both a Mark I and a Buckmark. I'm looking for an excuse to buy a Victory, I've heard the grip is smaller so keep thinking about getting one for my 9 year old daughter.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3, just get the one that fits your hand the best, or whichever one you find the best deal on. I'd put the Neos in 2nd place, with the Mark series, Buckmark, and Victory all tied for 1st. I've heard of some reliability issues with the Neos, plus it's just fugly. I haven't handled a 422, but that's another one I'd consider (especially for my daughter, I hear they're light).

But between my Buckmark and Mark I, I can't tell a difference in accuracy. Both are dead reliable. I prefer shooting one just as much as the other. To differentiate between them I ended up putting a red dot on the Buckmark, but I still grab one as often as the other when I head to the range. I haven't taken either apart yet, when they get dirty I open the action and spray it down with brake parts cleaner and then re-lube. I couldn't tell you how many thousands and thousands of rounds have been through both and I still haven't found a reason to detail strip and clean either.
Old December 14, 2017, 01:37 PM   #38
HighValleyRanch

I've owned and shot the Ruger mark series, the High Standards, Buckmarks, Smith 41.
But my favorite is this Sig/Hammerli Trailside. Simple and elegant. Shoots tight groups all day long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04667.JPG (56.1 KB, 328 views)
Old December 15, 2017, 12:15 PM   #39
LBussy

To close this thread (or to at least close my portion of it): I came upon a used MK III (manuf in 2008, model MKIII4) yesterday for a good price. Had to get it. Now to learn the disassembly and assembly. YouTube, here I come!
Old December 15, 2017, 12:19 PM   #40
Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklin View Post
Nix the Mk. 4 and find a nice used Mk. 2 or 3.

The difficult takedown and assembly is overblown completely. The internet amplifier at work. Read and exactly follow the directions supplied by Ruger. It's actually a very cool design, and works very very well. It's also really quick and easy once you master it.

And it's a .22 my .22s get a once a year cleaning, whether they need it or not. Actually since I have a lot of .22's only the ones that have been fired that year get the "deep" clean.

Tough to beat a good Mk. 2 or 3. I'm rather fond of my HS Supermatic too, it's more accurate than the Mk. 3 Hunter I have. A real tackdriver.
Yes, get a used Ruger MK II. The best of the breed IMHO. After you disassemble, and reassemble a time or two, it is a piece of cake. Follow the manual.
Old December 16, 2017, 07:17 PM   #41
otasan

I'd get the Ruger Mk IV.
Old December 17, 2017, 09:22 AM   #42
LBussy

Here's what I purchased:

If I was purchasing new I would have opted for Stainless and adjustable sights,(in the MK IV of course), but I got a very good deal on this and it will do me just fine.

Thanks all of you for your thoughts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-6055.JPG (178.9 KB, 276 views)
Old December 17, 2017, 10:01 AM   #43
stuckinthe60s

your choices are like reading off a menu at a fast food joint. they all look different but the taste is about the same.
if you want a steak, try looking at some real American iron like an old high standard. they are known as the finest 22's ever made. most are 50-60 years old and can still shoot circles around your fast food menu.
do a search and note all the levels of cost and options. youll never look back.

but I see im too late.
good luck. enjoy your big mac.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old December 17, 2017, 10:05 AM   #44
Viper225

Take a look at Majestic Speed Strip Kits. They cure the take down and reassembly headache.
Midway list part # 822765 Basic Kit and 243182 more advanced kit, and I belive they have another version with most of the trigger components included.

I bought the basic kit, then I got my brother and oldest son the kits for Christmas several years ago. You will really like your Mk III with this kit installed in it. Take out one allen screw, and slide the bolt out. Slide the bolt back in, and reinstall the bolt.
You skip the hour on You Tube figuring out all the steps to putting the MK III back together.

In my opinion the MK IV will be a huge improvement in the MK Series pistols.

Bob
Old December 17, 2017, 11:01 AM   #45
tallball

My Buck Mark is my most accurate handgun of many. A friend was looking to get a good 22 auto and immediately chose a Buck Mark after he shot mine. He has been very pleased with his purchase.

My FiL's Ruger Mark II is every bit as good.

I haven't shot a Smith 22 auto. All of the other ones I have shot pale in comparison to the Browning and Ruger.
Old December 17, 2017, 11:55 AM   #46
LBussy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper225 View Post
Take a look at Majestic Speed Strip Kits. They cure the take down and reassembly headache. Midway list part # 822765 Basic Kit and 243182 more advanced kit, and I belive they have another version with most of the trigger components included.
I've been looking at those kits. Since my Chiefs played last night (woot!), I have the afternoon to view YouTube and see if I can become proficient at stripping the thing. If not, I'll definitely be looking for one of those kits.

I've got an excellent LGS - if the trigger needs work I'll definitely tap him for it. I'll be sure to ask him if that more complete kit gets me anything that he can't do with the stock parts. It needs final fitting anyway (or so it says) and I'm not confident enough to do that myself no matter how easy it is.
Old December 17, 2017, 04:31 PM   #47
stuckinthe60s

on a good note, you have an early red eagle grip gun. it switched to black to mourn the death of mr. ruger.
q: when you shoot your last shot, does your bolt stay open?
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old December 17, 2017, 04:45 PM   #48
Troy800

Im a ruger fan but I would go for the MK III. Let them work the bugs out of the MK IV. There are alot of aftermarket stuff for the ruger if you get the mind to tune it up. They are harder to take apart and clean but once you have done it a few time its not bad.

I have shot my friends buckmark and it was alot of fun to shoot. No issues.
Old December 17, 2017, 04:59 PM   #49
Model12Win

I'd avoid the new Mk IVs.

Myriads of problems, recalls, and they are breaking down at an alarming rate. Loaded with design flaws.
Old December 17, 2017, 05:50 PM   #50
LBussy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinthe60s View Post
on a good note, you have an early red eagle grip gun. it switched to black to mourn the death of mr. ruger.
Interesting, thanks for pointing that out. I had no idea.

Wiki says:
Quote:
After Alex Sturm’s death in 1951, William B. Ruger continued to direct the company until his death in 2002.
By serial number, this pistol was manufactured in 2008 - neither of those dates coincides with the manufacture date. Maybe these are just a retro offering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinthe60s View Post
q: when you shoot your last shot, does your bolt stay open?
I assume it stays open since it will remain open when I pull back the bolt on an empty mag. I have not shot it yet.