The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 13, 2017, 11:24 AM   #76
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoy79:
My price range for a 1911 is somewhere in the mid range of $600-$900. While searching for one that would fit in my price range I somehow ended up looking at Glocks and found out I really like the Glock 34.
I own & really like both Glocks and 1911’s in 9mm and .45ACP. I think the Glock 34 is better suited for competition. Personally I can shoot my Glock 17 and 19 about as well as I could shoot a borrowed 34, and my Glock 19 is more suitable for concealed carry although you can definitely carry a 34. I shoot the cheap steel & aluminum case ammo from Wally’s with my Glock 21 and I wouldn’t shoot this stuff through any of my 1911’s on a dare, my 21 shoots every type of ammo beautifully. I would also recommend you consider a 9mm 1911 such as a full length Springfield Range Officer, these are great shooters and you can usually shoot at least 3 boxes of factory 9mm for less than the cost of 2 boxes of factory .45ACP.
Old December 16, 2017, 06:01 PM   #77
otasan

I have one Glock and two SA M1911A1s. My next gun purchase is going to be a Glock 34 or 36.
Old December 21, 2017, 06:17 PM   #78
otasan

Glocks are a landmark design. Just look at all of the US PDs that carry them. My one and only Glock since 1989 is my Glock 17.
Old December 21, 2017, 08:51 PM   #79
john in jax

I love my 1911's, and don't feel like I am "less protected" when I carry one. However my EDC is a Glock.

With the Glock 30 I get the same great .45acp round, but more of them. I get a platform that is just as reliable, but smaller and easier to conceal than a full sized 1911.

A Glock 23 yields even more rounds without giving up much in the way of power.

So many choices!
Old December 23, 2017, 05:46 PM   #80
rshaw

Depends on what you would like to do with it. My 1911 is a great shooter, easy to clean, made of solid steel, and has a history of proven reliability which is almost second to none. Trigger pull is crisp, takedown and cleaning is easy. Concealed Carry? I cannot say, as I do not have a CC permit

The 1911 has that "aura of history" which the Glock lacks. AND, If you have always wanted a 1911, go for the 1911!! My father had a WWI 1911 which was a wonderful firearm. He sold it several years ago...
Always wanted one myself, and just last month I traded my shooter Luger P08 for a nice Colt Combat Elite in 9mm. I'm not looking back either.

If the choice is Glock or 1911, all in all.... the 1911 is a better value for the money. That's my opinion anyway.

Last edited by rshaw; December 23, 2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old December 23, 2017, 07:38 PM   #81
otasan

Glocks for me here in VT.
Old December 24, 2017, 03:51 AM   #82
44 AMP
Staff

The simplicity of the Glock is often touted, but some of us are of the opinion that while it has advantages, it has drawbacks, as well.

One of the best (and somewhat amusing) explanations of how to use a Glock I found in a novel. The hero is with a lady who doesn't know much about guns.
They are expecting to be attacked at any moment...

He takes out a Glock, asks if she knows how to use it, she shakes her head. He pops out the loaded mag, and says "this is the gas tank". He inserts the mag, racks the slide. "the motor is now running, and its in drive!" He points to the trigger and says "this is the gas pedal". She nods, then asks, "where's the brake?"

"There is no brake!"

I'm in the camp that wants either a manual safety or a hammer, and prefer having both if possible. I'm not in the least concerned about how "complicated" that makes operating the pistol. I can also drive a standard (stick shift with a clutch) automobile.

So, put me in the 1911 pattern camp. Grew up with a couple of them in the house (Dad had a .45 and a .38 Super), it was the service pistol when I was in the Army, and I was a trained Small Arms Repairman (MOS 45B20), so I'm more than just slightly familiar with them.

I've handled and shot Glocks, and perhaps met the only Glock that had an inconsistent trigger pull (I have a witness). They aren't "perfection" though they do tend to work.

I've owned literally dozens of 1911s over the years, and never had one that didn't work. Had some that didn't work with everything I shot in them, but they always worked well with GI ball ammo, and many worked just fine with modern JHP stuff as well.

Personally, all my wants and needs are met by guns other than Glocks. If combat Tupperware floats your boat, go for it.
Old December 24, 2017, 07:26 AM   #83
Nathan

If you like the trigger pull of.....retracted
Old December 24, 2017, 07:44 AM   #84
JJ45

I've come to a conclusion about this whole Glock vs 1911 (again? :roll eyes I don't own a Glock but I am impressed with the reliability and simplicity of the two Springfield XDs that I have, both strikers, high cap 9s no safety, (except a grip safety) etc.,

That said, I think having been brought up and being used to shooting and carrying safety/hammer pistols, whether double or single action, I just ain't comfortable carrying a handgun without a safety.

I know it's old foggyish but it's hard to get over that feeling....so, IMO, it all comes down to not which weapon is superior, but which ever one YOU, PERSONNALY feel better carrying on your hip, cause both will get the job done.
Old December 24, 2017, 04:43 PM   #85
dgludwig

Quote:
I'm in the camp that wants either a manual safety or a hammer, and prefer having both if possible. I'm not in the least concerned about how "complicated" that makes operating the pistol. I can also drive a standard (stick shift with a clutch) automobile.
I'm in the same camp. And even though I very much appreciate the attributes of the 1911 pistol and shoot it often, for edc, self-defense purposes; I prefer a traditional da pistol, complete with safety, hammer and decocker (i.e., Beretta 92 and most "Third Generation" Smiths-though SIG da pistols sans a safety are fine with me too).
Old December 25, 2017, 06:43 AM   #86
johnslick

I like Glocks but can shoot a 1911 way better
Old December 25, 2017, 08:39 AM   #87
Hawg

I much prefer a 1911 but that's just me.
Old December 25, 2017, 06:19 PM   #88
MislMan

I own a SA Range Officer (1911) in 45 ACP as well as a Glock 34 Gen4. Both are fun guns to shoot and very accurate & dependable. I installed trigger parts in the Glock and have a 3.5 lb trigger pull. My 1911's trigger pull is 3lbs even. Either is a great choice but I enjoy shooting the 1911 more just because I do. No other explanation, I just like it better. I EDC a Ruger LCP since I pocket carry here in Florida.
Old December 27, 2017, 12:37 AM   #89
stormyone

You can’t deny 1911’s feel the best in the hand. Light-weight commander sized 1911’s carry like a dream. Gotta have a least one. Glocks are Glocks. Always going to work. Everyone needs a Glock. Comparing the two will be discussed on gun forums forever. I love them both. Glocks have twice the fire power. 1911’s make bigger holes. Get both.
Old December 27, 2017, 07:23 PM   #90
otasan

If you are looking for a carry pistol, then the Glock wins. It weighs 10-12-ounces lighter than the 1911, and this matters when you are CCWing all day long.
Old December 28, 2017, 12:15 PM   #91
TRX

My main problem with the Glock is the same as with all of the other plastic-framed guns. The grip area is sculptured and formed to fit someone else's hand. Someone with a hand shaped a lot different from mine, resulting in divots and knobblies that make them uncomfortable to hold and annoying to shoot.

The early Glocks are actually among the least objectionable; the lump and divot "thumb rest" can be sanded down and filled so it doesn't annoy me. Some other guns where the stylists "exercised their creative freedom", it's just more trouble to fix them than it's worth.

The 1911 doesn't fit everyone either. But it fits *my* hand like they were made for each other.

Find what fits you. And rent one before buying, to see how it performs for you at the range. And ignore the bigots and haters on either side; at least not unless they're offering to buy it for you...

Tags
1911 , glock 34