The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 24, 2011, 08:36 PM   #26
m&p45acp10+1

I use a mix of dish soap (whichever we have at the sink), and white vinigar, with a touch of sonic cleaning powder. About 4 cycles of 3 minutes in a Harbor Freight sonic cleaner. I then rinse, let dry and then prep for resizing. It works just fine.

Oh and I just cleaned aobut 500 pieces of .223 I picked up at the range today with it. They are drying out, and I will lube, and size them tomorrow when I get home from work.

Last edited by m&p45acp10+1; September 24, 2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old September 24, 2011, 10:10 PM   #27
shoot1forme

Dish Soap Wash

Yup, like m&p45 says-this really works great. I use this mix with just the right amount of vinegar. You'll have to experiment to find out exactly how much white vinegarwhat works best for your mixture. I don't have a sonic cleaner but putting the cases in a bowl of water and covering the brass with about 1/2" of the water/vinegar/soap mixture and then using a 3" paint brush I whip this mixture around for a few minutes. The more action you put on the cases with the paint brush in the solution, the better the results. Of course it goes without saying to do a thorough rinse when finished.
Old September 25, 2011, 08:12 AM   #28
GURU1911

Washing brass cases

Have been washing mine for many years with "simple green", amway "l-o-c", or "fabuloso".

Use about 1/4 cup of cleaner & pour into a pan of hot water. Dump in brass & let soak for about 30 minutes. Rinse clean, drain in colander, dump on large bath towel, & blow dry with an electric fan. If the weather is agreeable, i place the towel full of brass on my concrete patio & let dry in the sunlight.

Then it goes into the tumbler with walnut shell cleaning media for about an hour & then a final vibe in the corn-cob for a bright finish.

Cleaning solution can be filtered, jugged, & reused several times before dumping on the yard.

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old September 25, 2011, 11:57 AM   #29
David Bachelder

Case Cleaner Solution

I read about this, I haven't tried it but I'm guessing I soon will.

1 - QT Hot Water
1 - Cup Vinegar
1 - tbsp salt
1 - tbsp dish soap (pick your poison here, I'll be using Dawn).

Pour into bowl over dirty brass. Cover bowl. Shake every ten minutes or so. Continue this about an hour. Pour cleaning fluid out. Dry brass as required. Towell dry and set outside in direct sun will work.

I suggest that you do not Reuse the bowl for food. There's no telling what is in it.

Now I need to go do some shooting so I'll have some dirty brass to try this on.