The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 7, 2015, 08:15 AM   #26
NotAGunGuy

I kind of look at my C&R as a $10 a year membership in the 50-year-old firearm club.

While there are already a bunch of C&R firearms out there, every year a new batch enters the "club". It's going to be interesting over the next several years which firearms from the mid-to-late 60's start becoming C&R eligible.

All this for 2.7 cents a day!
Old October 26, 2015, 10:29 AM   #27
crashdummy

I have encountered dealers that are not familiar with C&R licenses and won't honor them. Their loss, as their paperwork is simplier than to a private buyer.
I will be keeping mine.
Old December 6, 2015, 08:40 AM   #28
lockedcj7

I let mine expire a few years ago since I hadn't really used it. I just sent in the paperwork to get it again and re-joined the Garand collectors ass'n.

Here is my thinking: If the CMP starts shipping 1911s, they may send them direct to a C&R and I want to be at the front of the line. I foolishly missed out on the carbines because I didn't "need" one.

If we face severe restrictions on all gun ownership in the next few years, some exemptions may be made for legitimate collectors. I want to be on that list too.
Old December 6, 2015, 11:51 AM   #29
kilimanjaro

We just had a universal NICS check law passed in Washington, as far as I know, C&R license holders are not exempt from the requirement to process through an in-state FFL01.

I doubt very much if there will be any exemptions for us crufflers. The left hated the very idea of the C&R license back in 1986 and totally refused to change the definition of an antique from 1898 to 1918. Those 1903 Springfields, 1917 Enfields and 1916 Contract Broomhandles are weapons of war, you know, with no place on the streets.

The left has never compromised on their demands. The words 'Common Sense Gun Control' do not exist when the common sense is requested of them.
Old December 6, 2015, 10:27 PM   #30
OcelotZ3

Oregon's new "Universal Background Check" law also ignores the C&R. It was mentioned during negotiation/wording of the law but a couple of the super anti-gun idiots specifically didn't like collectors and made sure they were excluded. So I'll probably let mine lapse.

Because, you know, those C&R holders are doing all those mass shootings with their >50 yo collections.
Old December 6, 2015, 10:35 PM   #31
kilimanjaro

There you have it. The Oregon law wasn't about crime and criminals, it was about hatred of guns and gun owners.
Old December 22, 2015, 06:47 AM   #32
Ben Cartwright SASS

Massachusetts is another state that has never recognized the C&R, however that being said I recently got a law amended with the help of my State Senator to recognize C&R's to some degree.
Here we have the "list" of approved guns AND any firearm sold in Mass has to have been owned and registered in Mass before 1998 or it is not MA Legal.
The new law says that if you have an 03FFL and the rifle shotgun or firearm (in Mass handguns are firearms, rifles and shotguns are not) is a over 50 years old then the list and pre-owned requirement is waived for transfers from an 01FFL. You still have to register it with a FA10 form. The reason being is that I tried to buy a C&R from an 01 dealer and he refused to recognize my C&R saying Mass doesn't recognize them. This was aimed at him. Most 01's recognize it and will do the transfer but some won't and they may have a good piece that you want.

BUT the anti's in the Senate demanded that the law not take effect until 2021, well it was a victory of sorts.
Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you are stupid"
Sgt John M. Stryker - Sands of Iwo Jima
Old January 4, 2016, 07:03 PM   #33
Gaucho Gringo

The whole west coast has made C&R of no use. Every gun sold or received has to go through UBC's. It made my C&R useless.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8