The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 29, 2018, 10:38 PM   #1
jwise

Custom shop for revolvers?

I have an idea I would like to see happen. I want to buy a 6.5” S&W 629 and send it off for the following work:

-Bright stainless polish job
-black ionbond finish over the high polish job
-ported barrel
-tritium/fiber optic front sight

S&W Performance Center can do the bright polish job for $275. I don’t know about the front sight or porting. They won’t do the ionbond finish.

Is there anywhere that can do all of the above?
Old November 29, 2018, 10:53 PM   #2
DPris
Member Emeritus

Call Cylinder & Slide and ask.
Denis
Old November 29, 2018, 10:57 PM   #3
1stmar

For revolver work my first thought is always hamilton bowen. Though this is pretty routine work. Jim Milks from innovative custom guns is superb to deal with and does great work.
Old December 1, 2018, 02:47 AM   #4
GeauxTide

Gallagher Guns in Jasper, AL is splendid.
Old December 1, 2018, 02:29 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Why pay for the polishing if you're going to cover it? Just curious. High polish is important for a hot bluing job, but not for a coating.
"...ported barrel..." Net search Mag-Na-port.
Old December 1, 2018, 05:03 PM   #6
AK103K

Id suggest trying a gun thats been ported before you have it done. Ive had two .44's (a 4" 29 and a 3" 696) that were done by Mag Na Port, and I think its a waste, and more so, and annoyance.

I saw no benefit in muzzle flip reduction, and the fouling from the ports quickly fouls the front sight.

The only thing impressive about it, is the big "V" flash you get in lower light when the gun is fired.
Old December 1, 2018, 06:10 PM   #7
reddog81

Any halfway decent gunsmith can do the front sight. The rest of its probably going to cost as much as the gun if done using reputable vendors.

Whats the point ionbond on a stainless steel gun?
Old December 1, 2018, 08:41 PM   #8
Jim Watson

As said, Magnaporting will quickly smoke up any colored front sight.
Smith has made some revolvers with a barrel port in front of the sight, that would have a better chance of staying clean. Maybe you could find one.

I have seen pictures of ionbonded polished autos, no reason it can't be done to a revolver.

D. Reichard, dba Sandburr Ranch, will have a revolver ionbonded but does not say how bright. For $650 it darned well ought to be as shiny as you like.
Old December 2, 2018, 01:05 PM   #9
buck460XVR

For about what you would pay for a stock 629 and all the customizing you want to do, you could buy one from the Performance Center with similar features and be done with it

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...-magnum-hunter

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...stealth-hunter
Old December 2, 2018, 05:58 PM   #10
WC145

I'll bet Mag-na-port could do that job for you, and arrange for Ionbond to finish it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
Why pay for the polishing if you're going to cover it? Just curious. High polish is important for a hot bluing job, but not for a coating.
"...ported barrel..." Net search Mag-Na-port.
DLC, such as Ionbond's coating, doesn't mask the metal surface prep, it doesn't have a texture of it's own. If the metal surface is polished before being coated it will still show the polish afterwards. It looks a lot like very dark bluing.

This Colt 1911 has mirror polished flats and is coated in Ionbond DLC-
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old December 4, 2018, 07:19 PM   #11
KEYBEAR

jwise You were going good until you got to Porting . I have two Rugers that are Ported one i will never shoot the other I would give $200 bucks if it was not .
Old December 4, 2018, 07:46 PM   #12
DPris
Member Emeritus

I have a Ruger GP that's ported & quite like it.
Denis
Old December 4, 2018, 08:19 PM   #13
AK103K

This is my main complaint.....

Thats a couple of cylinders full, about 10 rounds, of LSWC's through my 696. Theres a red ramp in there if you look just above the serrations.

You have to constantly keep wiping the front sight off as you shoot, if you want a decent sight picture.
Old December 5, 2018, 01:15 AM   #14
DPris
Member Emeritus

It only has to bother you if you let it bother you.
Denis
Old December 5, 2018, 07:49 AM   #15
AK103K

Well, it is nice to have a decent sight picture once in a while when you shoot.

Its more of an annoyance than anything else, and especially since the porting (at least in Mag Na Ports case) really doesnt seem to have any effect or do anything to keep the muzzle down.
Old December 5, 2018, 01:01 PM   #16
DPris
Member Emeritus

My 3-inch GP in .357 has a black front blade, I've never bothered to do an insert.
It still shoots quite well, and powder residue isn't a problem.

I do find the MagnaPorting helps in recoil control in that gun.
Others don't.

I don't regret going with ports at all, and this was my regular carry gun after retiring for a bit, till 9-11 when I switched back to an auto for capacity.

I also explored several different premium defensive rounds till I found one that was accurate in that gun & had flash-retardant powders.

You're not stuck with the old-fashioned .357 fireball, just find a round with a retardant powder.

I'm not trying to sell anybody on porting, just giving another opinion based on personal experience to add to the info for decision-making.
Denis
Old December 8, 2018, 02:21 AM   #17
jwise

I have a .357 snub nose that’s ported, and it handles recoil very nicely. I just thought a ported 6.5” 629 would feel like a pussycat (even with full power loads.)

I have a custom Colt 1911 with black ionbond over polish. It’s spectacular. I don’t care much for stainless. I prefer a blued appearance.
Old December 10, 2018, 10:45 PM   #18
ThomasT

A few years ago my local gun shop had a model 19 with 6" barrel that had been Magna ported. He had to lower the price by $100 just to sell it. Nobody wanted a ported gun.
Old December 11, 2018, 07:12 PM   #19
Bottom Gun

A guy let me shoot his Sig P220 once that had some sort of compensator on the muzzle. It directed the blast to the rear to supposedly help with recoil, muzzle flip, etc. I could feel a strong blast of air on my forehead each time I pulled the trigger. I didn’t like that at all. It was an unwelcome distraction. I really couldn’t tell if the device lightened felt recoil or not. I didn’t like it.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.