The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 23, 2018, 09:54 PM   #26
stillquietvoice

There are a couple advantages of blind mag, one is there is more stockaterial so it's more rigid, another is it will never fall out and get lost turning your repeater into a single shot.
Dbm is faster to load and unload,but it doesn't take more than 10 seconds to unload a blind mag it's more a personal preference.
Old November 24, 2018, 03:17 PM   #27
RC20

Pretty much agree with the above.

I do have one Savage with a bottom magazine release like the old mil Surplus rifles.

That is not a bad compromise. That said, I don't know what models have it.

I agree a full blind is more rigid and I went with two of that type to build target rifles on for that reason.

But the drop plate shoots consistently better than the other two (30-06) so its not the whole story.

I did a lot of woods cruising when younger and I did consider a semi auto 06 with a magazine for bears. At least you can get a couple two maybe 3 if you are lucky shots off in that situation (or none, its interesting reading about the guys who simply drop their guns when charged) - most of the time its a partner that shoots the bear off the guy.
Old November 27, 2018, 11:47 AM   #28
GarandTd

I've decided to pass, for the time being, on the used Savage 111. With prices, rebates, and all the economy options available, I just can't stomach paying nearly NIB retail for a used rifle. Add to that the fact that Christmas is right around the corner and I've also managed to tie up about $350 on a couple of superfluous traffic citations, a new firearm is off the table for now.
Thanks for the insight. It will be food for thought when the time is right.
Old November 28, 2018, 08:46 AM   #29
Orion6

In response to one of the posts above, the Remington 783 does not have a poor trigger. It’s an Accutrigger style and easily adjustable.

Just make sure it’s a 783 not a 770. Totally different rifles.

You can’t go wrong with an Axis or Compass (or 783 for that matter) for a solid hunting gun. They’re all good rifles.
Old November 29, 2018, 06:05 AM   #30
Fusion

I own both an Axis (non accutrigger), and a Model 11 (with the accutrigger), and the Model 11 is a significantly better rifle. They both shoot very well, but that's where the similarities stop. The trigger on the Axis is one of the worst factory triggers I've ever felt on a rifle. I quickly replaced mine. While they have solved this with the Axis II and the accutrigger, they haven't fixed any of the other issues.

While the Model 11 stock isn't great, it's leaps and bounds better than the one on the Axis. In fact, the whole Axis just feels extremely cheaply made. The magazine is pretty lousy and clips in with a plastic clip. When this plastic breaks, it's fairly costly to replace the magazine. The bolt handle on the Axis also feels extremely light and cheap. You also get a better, and stronger receiver with the Model 11. Really, the whole Axis just feels like a cheap throw away gun. Will it kill deer? Absolutely. However, the numbered series Savages are a much better gun and can be had for a similar price as you've found.

IMO I'd look for a Model 10 or 11 with the Accutrigger. In this market, you can probably find one for $275-300 and you'll be ending up with a much better rifle.
Old November 29, 2018, 10:23 AM   #31
GarandTd

Good to know, Fusion. I'll keep an open mind about the used one I saw. Who knows, maybe it'll still be around in a month or so and still an option.
Old November 29, 2018, 07:05 PM   #32
stillquietvoice

You might be able to buy it over time deposit and so much per week. Buy most of my guns that way not so much out of pocket all at once.
Worth a shot worst the store owner will say is no.
Old November 30, 2018, 08:56 PM   #33
GarandTd

The store does layaway, even on used firearms. 20% down, 60 days to pay off. I already asked.
Old December 1, 2018, 04:53 AM   #34
std7mag

Like i had posted previously.
Let me know if your getting it.
If not, tell me where it is, and i'll go get it.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old December 1, 2018, 06:31 AM   #35
GarandTd

I'll let you know if I pass on it. I'm leaning toward securing it via layaway. After reading some other threads on similar used rifles and the prices, I do believe it's a pretty good deal.