The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 21, 2018, 02:14 PM   #26
BeeShooter

Accuracy is very subjective. Some shooters think a 1in. group at 100yds is just fine. Some will shoot there factory barrels and get 1/4 in. group. What the latter of the two doesn't tell you is the muzzle velocity and the amount of variation in muzzle velocity. In a hunting rifle, shooting under 300 yds., I don't think it matters much. With a competition rifle, it means everything. I've never seen a factory barrel out perform a Krieger,Bartlein, or the many other top after-market barrels.
Old November 21, 2018, 02:38 PM   #27
BWM

All the Savages that I have bought over the years was very accurate out of the box they beat my Rem 700 but my old Rem 788 was as good as my Savages I used it to test my reloads it had 6 locking lugs and was a good fit for me. I wish that I never sold it
Old November 21, 2018, 03:20 PM   #28
reynolds357

Quote:
but my old Rem 788 was as good as my Savages I used it to test my reloads it had 6 locking lugs and was a good fit for me. I wish that I never sold it
I thought they had 9 lugs.
Old November 21, 2018, 03:22 PM   #29
reynolds357

Quote:
I've never seen a factory barrel out perform a Krieger,Bartlein, or the many other top after-market barrels.
I have.Savages are winning 1k shoots right out of the box.
Old November 21, 2018, 04:54 PM   #30
stagpanther

I've had 5 savage rifles--the very worst of them couldn't shoot under .65 MOA--all the rest could do .5 or under if I were up to it. The cheapest consumer grade $275 axis Tupperware in 308 could shoot well under .5 MOA one-holers--if I was up to the task.
Old November 24, 2018, 03:19 PM   #31
RC20

Quote:
I have.Savages are winning 1k shoots right out of the box.
Savage has target rifles that are good but they are also select barrels.

A better shooter with a Savage will beat a worse shooter with a Bartlein etc.

Push come to shove, if you go full competitive one on one equal shooters then the better barrels will win.
Old November 24, 2018, 05:56 PM   #32
GeauxTide

My 260 Weather Warrior shot 1/2" with the first loads I put together. I'm sure it will shoot better, but I was smitten by the Grendel at .3".
Old November 27, 2018, 12:30 AM   #33
Bkmartin

I’ve just bought savage 111 .270 . It Can’t hit a target @100yds . I’ve had it bore sited twice . At 100yds it feet off . I’ve ran out of ajustment. Change scopes & just put a DNZ one peace mount on it . Still same problem . Shooting a 130 gr 4 different brands still the same . So I move up to 25 yds adjustments maxed out it will hit but its about 12” high and 8” to right and bullets are keyholes in target and the keyholes are in all different directions. It looks like they are tumbling. . So I move up to ten yds an hit dead center. 2 different shooters same promblem . Now the 7 mag it groups sub MOA . Any idea ??? The crown doesn’t appear to have any defects. Thinking maybe the action might need to be trued up to barrel .
Old November 27, 2018, 02:12 AM   #34
stagpanther

Quote:
I’ve just bought savage 111 .270 . It Can’t hit a target @100yds . I’ve had it bore sited twice . At 100yds it feet off . I’ve ran out of ajustment. Change scopes & just put a DNZ one peace mount on it . Still same problem . Shooting a 130 gr 4 different brands still the same . So I move up to 25 yds adjustments maxed out it will hit but its about 12” high and 8” to right and bullets are keyholes in target and the keyholes are in all different directions. It looks like they are tumbling. . So I move up to ten yds an hit dead center. 2 different shooters same promblem . Now the 7 mag it groups sub MOA . Any idea ??? The crown doesn’t appear to have any defects. Thinking maybe the action might need to be trued up to barrel .
I've had the same rifle and it shot teeny little groups--sounds like something's slowing your bullets down and/or destabilizing them. I know it sounds a bit obvious--but did you give it a serious cleaning before use? I'd try to get a real close look at the bore and chamber and make sure they are immaculately clean with no chatter or build up/debris of any kind. Might want to get a copper buster cleaner that turns color to see if you have some build-up--should be pretty obvious if so. All that said--it's hard from me to imagine a new rifle in 270 that shoots that badly.
Old November 27, 2018, 08:21 AM   #35
44caliberkid

I have a Savage 111 in 30-06, not accu-trigger. It doesn't group, more like patterns, 6 - 8 inches at 100 yards with scope at 9x. It has iron sights also, and I can produce those same results without a scope. I got it very cheap at an auction or I wouldn't have bought it. I've seen articles and YouTube vids on accurizing them, but I have more interesting projects in the works right now, so it's relegated to the back of the closet for now.
Old November 27, 2018, 08:34 AM   #36
stagpanther

The wonderful world of used firearms--when something shoots like a dog--pass it on to the next unsuspecting victim. Buying used stuff is always a toss of the dice unless you have a trusted gunsmith certify the condition (NOT the gun shop "expert" you're buying it from!). I recently bought a used lever gun currently out of production knowing that it was a risk--and boy was I right--I paid almost full retail price when new and it can't group under 7" at 25 yds.
Old November 27, 2018, 08:37 AM   #37
big al hunter

Bkmartin, welcome to the forum. You will get better responses if you start a new thread asking for help.

Sounds like the bullets are not being stabilized. Pull the bolt out and get some light in the bore so you can see what condition the rifling is in. (Trueing the action makes small improvement in group size. It would not help with stabilizing bullets.) Measure the bore diameter. The best method is to slug the barrel with lead. Search the forum or Google to see how. A rough way to check is to put a bullet in the muzzle, gently. You are not trying to force it in. Just making sure the bullet is contacting the rifling. It should not go all the way to the brass. If it does then you have an oversized bore. If you bought the gun new Savage should help you fix it.
Old November 27, 2018, 10:18 AM   #38
Charlie98

My Savage 10T is probably more accurate than me, with a decent scope and a good handload I'd put it up against anything outside of a custom build. My 10T has both the AccuTrigger and AccuStock... it works pretty well for an out-of-the-box rifle with no mods.

For that matter, my 99F is a shooter, too... so it must be a Savage thing!

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old November 27, 2018, 11:03 AM   #39
Wyosmith

Gunsmiths prospective:

On a scale of 1 to 10 the average Savage is an 8. Some are 10s and every now and then you get a 5, but those are rare.
Overall Savage is one brand you can usually get excellent accuracy right out of the box with.

The gunsmithing jobs that need to be addressed with Savages are most often related to bedding, feeding and occasionally a broken extractor, but not usually barrel related accuracy issues.