The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 19, 2015, 01:38 PM   #1
varifleman

BSACo. Model Lee-Enfield MKI* rifle

Here for your viewing pleasure is BSACo. Lee-Enfield MKI* Model 1899 dated 1901 serial number A55655 which was issued to PVT Van Buren Arnold who enlisted in the 6th Canadian Mounted Rifles, South African Forces at Calgary on April 24 1902. he proceeded to South Africa, was returned to Canada, and struck off strength in consequence of "Disbandment of the Forces." He retained the rifle after leaving service. The rifle still has its original issue oil bottle.

Old November 19, 2015, 01:41 PM   #2
varifleman

Oil bottle and Model 1888 bayonet:

Old November 19, 2015, 01:51 PM   #3
varifleman

Here's a 1908 photo of Van Buren and his new bride taken in Browning MO after which they returned to to their homestead in Crossfield Alberta which he filed for in 1902. Now all I need is a photo of him in uniform holding the rifle. Details from his service records are also shown.

Old November 19, 2015, 01:54 PM   #4
varifleman

Few more close ups to show various details such as proof marks; view and accepatnce marks:

Old November 19, 2015, 03:03 PM   #5
kilimanjaro

Great provenance ! Good job done.
Old November 19, 2015, 09:09 PM   #6
Tidewater_Kid

Beautiful rifle and great story. Thanks for posting!

TK
Old November 20, 2015, 03:15 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Truly amazing, and a superb piece of personal and national history.

Thank you for posting.

Jim
Old November 20, 2015, 05:38 PM   #8
gyvel

That is too cool for words.
SIFE
Old December 11, 2015, 11:24 AM   #9
varifleman

Took the rifle out to the range yesterday and had excellent results at 50 yards with Hornady .303 British 174-gr boat tail hollow point Vintage Match ammo. This off-the-shelf ammo is designed to provide top of the line quality and match grade accuracy. The boat tail helps reduce the drag on the round as it travels to its target. The muzzle velocity of this product is 2430 feet per second and will still be traveling at roughly 1650 feet per second at 500 yards. Its trajectory levels out at 200 meters, and drops 10.5 inches at 300 yards. These cartridges have a brass case, are Boxer primed, non-corrosive, and are reloadable.

Old December 11, 2015, 11:50 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

That is VERY sweet.

I didn't realize that Birmingham Small Arms was producing Lee-Enfields that early.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 11, 2015, 12:30 PM   #11
BoogieMan

So very cool to have the whole story together with all the paperwork. Did you happen upon this collection or was it family connection?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old December 12, 2015, 12:46 PM   #12
varifleman

PVT Arnold after returning from his service in South Africa in 1902 took out a land grant in Alberta and was a farmer there until returning to Missouri in 1919 and permanently settling there. This rifle was passed down from PVT Arnold right down to his great-grandson and shot every now and then. The grandson returned to the US to settle the family estate but was unable to bring back the rifle to his home in Europe due to strict gun control laws and thus had to sell it. I was fortunate to acqiure it and find copies of many of Arnold's Canadian service and census records on-line.
Old December 12, 2015, 01:42 PM   #13
BoogieMan

Nice job researching. I have bring back papers for an arisaka that I picked up a few days ago. I think I will attempt to find the rest of the story in that tale.
I assume the key piece of information that you were given was the name of PVT Arnold. I also have some records from wwI of my great grand dad's service for hungary. Unfortunately I don't have his rifle to match with it.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old December 12, 2015, 06:15 PM   #14
gyvel

One word of caution: I hope the rounds you were firing were loaded to Mk VI standards and not Mk VII. Early Lee-Enfields were meant to be fired with slightly lower pressure rounds than the later Mk VII.

I would really hate to see that fantastic piece of Lee-Enfield history damaged.
SIFE
Old December 13, 2015, 02:20 PM   #15
varifleman

I found this data for both the MKVI and the Hornady Vintage .303 ammo; perhaps someone more skilled with ballistics can determine if they're compatible and if the Hornady ammo is compatible with my Lee-Enfield 1901 MKI*:
Ball Cordite Mark VI like its predecessor Mark II, the Ball Mark VI had a round nosed 215 grain bullet but with a thinner cupto-nickel envelope to increase lethality. The core was an alloy of 98/2% lead antimony. The propellant charge was 31 grains of Cordite size 3 3/4 with a single glazeboard wad to give a muzzle velocity of 1,970 feet per second at a pressure of 17.5 to 18 tsi.

Brand: Hornady 8228
Item: 78766
UPC: 090255382280
This Hornady Vintage Match .303 British ammo is a great choice for target shooting. It's loaded with a 174 grain SP bullet which it launches at 2430 fps. This is a round designed to get the best possible performance out of your surplus military rifle.

Vintage Match ammunition is built to replicate the original military performance specifications unique to wartime rifles. With the advent of the CMP Vintage Rifle and Vintage Sniper Matches, Hornady Vintage Match ammunition was developed with the match shooter in mind. It provides superior quality off-the-shelf ammunition for the shooter who is looking for a match grade alternative to surplus or hand-loaded ammunition.

Muzzle velocity: 2430 fps
Velocity at 100 yards: 2264 fps
Velocity at 200 yards: 2105 fps
Muzzle energy: 2281 ft/lbs
Energy at 100 yards: 1981 ft/lbs
Energy at 200 yards: 1473 ft/lbs
Old December 13, 2015, 02:23 PM   #16
varifleman

Yes; I got the June 1935 document with the rifle and was able to find PVT Arnold's records on-line from the Canadian War Museum and Ancestry.
Old December 14, 2015, 10:33 AM   #17
Mike Irwin
Staff

Unfortunately you can't determine chamber pressure from velocity.

You'd need to contact Hornady directly to query them about measured chamber pressures.

18 TSI (tons per square inch) is, using a 2,240 British long ton) is about 40,000 psi.

My guess is that the Hornady ammo is loaded to about that level, as American manufacturer's have always been fairly conservative with their loads for foreign military rifles.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 14, 2015, 12:37 PM   #18
Erno86

A beautiful rifle & bayonet with written history too boot. Have you had it appraised?
I have a BSA Martini Henry 22 rimfire, with a bull barrel --- A SMLE Mark 4, fake T-sniper and a Jungle Mark 5 Carbine.

My grandfather fought in the Boer War...as a German ally for the Boers. He and his wife emigrated to the United States from Germany in 1907 and settled here in Maryland.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; December 14, 2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old December 15, 2015, 12:16 PM   #19
varifleman

Thanks Mike; will contact Hornady; you're probably right re the ammo since it's specifically made for vintage rifles. Erno; got the rifle for 1 grand but haven't had it appraised.
Old December 15, 2015, 01:47 PM   #20
wogpotter

IIRC the barrels were stamped with (I think an "S") for the newer MKVII ball ammo running a 174 Gr FB @ 2450 FPS.

It had more to do with the throat profile for 215 Gr RN & the very different 174 Gr spitzer bullet though.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”