The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 21, 2015, 08:59 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

added a Mosin... rifle... in nice shape... what can I expect for groups???

I know, I should slug the bore... thinking about buying PRVI ammo for the reloadable cases...

think I got it priced right... my retired builder buddy saw them for sale at the local Runnings store, for $119.00 plus tax, looked through them & picked out the nicest one, then went home & totally cleaned it up, removing all the cosmoline, the stock looks great, gun looks great, then started getting buyers remorse, & offered it to me, for what he paid for it ( he has like 3 others ) & I didn't have one in my milsurp collection yet... now I need dies, & added another cartridge to the already too long a load list
Old April 21, 2015, 10:03 AM   #2
highpower3006

I don't own a Mosin any more, but most of those that I had shot around 3-4 MOA with surplus ammo. If you got it for $119+tax and government extortion fees (what your buddy paid), you did real good.
Old April 21, 2015, 10:05 AM   #3
madmo44mag

With MN ya never know till ya shoot it.
I have a few that shot 2 MOA at 100 yards
I have others that 3-4 is the best they can do.
Old April 22, 2015, 07:42 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

so I ordered a box of PRVI 182 grain FMJ ammo to try out... if it shoots even reasonably, I'll order some more for the reloadable brass... then it'll be dies & such...

I notice the Lee dies come with a .308 expander, & the RCBS a ( I think ) .311 expander... I'm assuming most of these rifles shoot better with the bigger diameter bullets, even though there is a better selection of .308 bullets... I'm looking at the Hornady .312's, at least to start with...

how have the Hornady .312" 150 grain spire points been shooting out of these??? anyone try them???
Old April 22, 2015, 08:29 AM   #5
CowTowner

Quote:
I notice the Lee dies come with a .308 expander
I thought this was strange as well. The Lee dies for the 7.62x39mm Russian come with both the 308 and the 311 expanders.
Here's the link to order the 311 expander for the 7.62x54R: http://leeprecision.com/ez-x-exp-303-b.html
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old April 22, 2015, 08:35 AM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks... I was looking at stuff on Midway, & didn't see it listed there???
Old April 22, 2015, 09:13 AM   #7
emcon5

I have a PU Sniper that shoots pretty well with the Horn .312 174gr match bullets from Graf's: http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/21415 It used to be a Graf's exclusive, even says GRAF on the box, but I just picked up 2 boxes from Midway.

I did the felt wrap the Soviets described:

And put a beer can shim under one of the action screws, the Soviets had put one under the tang. Some detail on how the Soviets prepped Mosins for competition here: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...ting-quot-Book

I actually neck size for it using a Lee .308 Winchester collet die and a washer, as described here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130817...swap/index.asp

I had pretty good luck with it, using IMR 4064 (which is pretty common for me at least with a case this size).

I waited at least 3 min between shots, so heat shouldn't be an issue, and I can't rule out sighting error, a 1" target spot is pretty small with a ~3.5X scope, and the giant post reticle on the PU is not super precise. I am pretty happy with the results.

Mine shoots the Privi Heavy ball to about 2.5 MOA,
Old April 22, 2015, 09:43 AM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

Thanks... lots of good info there...
Old April 22, 2015, 11:01 AM   #9
kilimanjaro

PRVI is pretty good ammo, go ahead and buy more, the brass is good quality.