The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 11, 2018, 05:13 AM   #26
BeeShooter

The 6mm is a super fine bullet. The 6mm Rem, 6mm creed, 243. win, 6x47, and the 6br norma are all great shooters. I confess that I don't have as much experience with the 6 rem than I do with the 243,6 creed,and br but all will shoot inside of .3 @ 100 yrds. with custom loads. The 6mm CM with a 7.5 in. twist cut groove barrel is simply amazing.
Old October 11, 2018, 06:27 PM   #27
Chaparral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck View Post
I've loaded for two 6MM rifles (both Rem 788) and found both shot best using Hornady 87 grainers and a powder that filled the case. Both needed to be pushed to close to max for best accuracy.
I have a Remington 788 in 6mm as well. I replaced the trigger with a Timney a few years back. I love this gun! My load: IMR 4350 45.0 gr – 2.825 COAL – Sierra 85 gr HPBT

Very accurate!!!
Old October 15, 2018, 11:00 PM   #28
dvdcrr

Well I took out an old 6mm the other day to try some new loads. Kind of bittersweet as I found my loads consisting of RL17 and 100 gr. Sierras werebeing out shot in velocity, and accuracy by some Hornady 100gr. interlock SP Am. Whitetail! At least those were shooting very good. Good thing since we have a quantity of it. I had recalled some nice hunting with 6mm over the years, and one very nice thing is the lack of recoil. It is just point and shoot, no flinching or sucking the gun in tight getting ready fir a punch. And it does hit hard at least out 200yd. certainly further. A broadside shot, decently placed at 200 yd. could very well be a pass through. That was my experience at least. I generally use only 100gr. Sierras, 100 gr. Hornadyor 90 gr. Accubond, or BT Hunting bullets.
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old October 16, 2018, 12:59 PM   #29
Nevmavrick

When I was young, almost every article I read referred to the "twins". They were about the new .243s.
I couldn't afford one, but I sure could read and dream.
Over the years, I never bought on, but I'd borrow whenever I could.
The second wife was a southpaw, so we bought her a Savage M110DL in .243. I made her reload it, so she'd shoot it as much as possible. She brought down a muley doe with it with one shot in the right place at about 125yards, and all was well the world.
I remember the bullet was a 100gr Sierra spitzer.
Time went on, and the third wife used an M722 in .257 Roberts. After she passed, I decided that I needed a 6mm of some kind. I had lengthened the magazine in it but was unhappy with the chamber because I couldn't get the ogive near the throat and fit in the magazine, too.
I decided to build MY twins...
I bought two Pac-Nor 24" sporter barrels, but since most twins are a bit different, I got an 8" twist 3r for the 6mm, and a 9" 5r for the .243.
The M722 is mounted in a thumbhole Maple for the .243, and a Maple Monte Carlo sporter was cut for the M98 Mauser that will house the 6mm.
The .243 mounts a Weaver K10 and the 6mm a Leupold 3-9x Variable.
As I am edging into my "sunsets", I have enough time to experiment with my toys on the range with my chronograph in tow.
As soon as the parts are assembled, I will drop back with a report on the results.
I bought a "couple" boxes of bullets and a "few" cans of powder to try out.
Have fun, (I will)
Gene
Old October 18, 2018, 09:20 AM   #30
lewwetzel

I recently picked up a fine-shooting Cooper in 6mm Remington. I can’t remember ever having my .243 Winchesters out of the safe since.
Old October 19, 2018, 09:21 PM   #31
oldscot3

I've had one, a Remington 700 ADL, for over thirty years. My rifle shot best with two Nosler bullets that are discontinued, the 100 grain Solid Base and their 75 grain bullet.
I use the 95 grain Ballistic Tip over RL22 now, although I don't use my old ADL as often as I used to. As posted on another thread, I'm using PPU brass now. It looks good and shoots as good as any Remington or Winchester brass I've used and recently it seems to be available whenever I've checked.
Old October 19, 2018, 10:05 PM   #32
thallub

The 6mm Remington is a good caliber. The 6mm Remington was introduced in 1955 as the .244 Remington: The .244 Remington was a market failure because Remington envisioned the round as suitable for varmints and medium game and designed their bullets accordingly. i own both a .244 and a 6mm.

Some "experts" have blamed the 1/12" rifling twist rate for the lack of popularity saying it was too slow to stabilize 100 grain bullets: That ain't so. i load several different 100 grain bullets that shoot very accurately in my .244 rifle.

Remington re-badged the .244 as the 6mm Remington and gave the barrel a 1/9" twist rate. My model 700 in 6mm Remington is very accurate . So is my model 722 .244 Remington.
Old October 20, 2018, 08:16 AM   #33
Three44s

Does a SA Savage bolt gun handle the 257 Roberts?

My 4.4” screw spaced receiver does. I have not loaded bullets in excess of 100 gr. yet though.

Somebody did not like the trigger on Remington’s 788. Well a gunsmith can tune them. I bought and had a Canjar single set installed on mine in 22-250 788 and it was a fly shooter until the barrel gave out. Still have it. Should get it rejuivinated!

The 6mm

Mine was in a Rem 760 and was lost to thievery before I got down to tack driving with it. I like the cartridge and have owned enough 243 Win chambered rifles to know I like the bore size and that cartridge as well.

As a handloader, I would not back away from a 6mm Rem project for even a moment. For a non-handloader, I would stick with a 243 due to the better choices and ready availability of factory fodder.

The real potential in the 6mm Rem is in the AI category. A 243 win in AI does not gain as much boiler room potential as the 6mm Rem does.

Food for thought

Three44s
Old October 20, 2018, 03:41 PM   #34
ThomasT

My bud has two of them. He thinks the 6mm is way better than the 243 round. His reasoning is that the 6mm is a hundred FPS faster so that makes it a much better killer. And the neck on the 6mm case is longer than the 243.

I keep telling him that of the hundreds of 243 rounds I have loaded and shot not one single time has a bullet ever fell out of the case. And all the new WSM and other short action rounds that came out a few years ago all had bullet diameter case neck length necks. And they work fine.

As for the extra speed I feel if a 100fps makes the difference between a clean kill and a lost animal you are using a round way too small for the game you are hunting.
Old October 20, 2018, 10:11 PM   #35
old roper

I shot 6Rem and if I'm not mistaken the 6Rem is higher SAAMI Spec pressure vs 243. 6Rem use couple more grs powder for that 100ft gain.
NRA Life Member
Old October 20, 2018, 10:34 PM   #36
105kw

My uncle used, and really liked the 6mm in a Remington 700.
I can't remember his load, but it was a 105gr Speer Spitzer, over IMR4831.

He killed deer, at least one elk, and a bear with it. It was his light walking around gun.
His heavy rifle was a .270. But he really liked the 6mm.
Old November 1, 2018, 01:27 PM   #37
jumpingeezer

The 6MM Rem. is not something that I had a big hankering for, but I could not pass up the deal I found on a model 700 at an estate sale over a decade ago.

I had the trigger/safety modification done at one of the Remington authorized gunsmiths who had a shop in Springfield VA only a mile from my place of employment. This particular smith had a great reputation and I think he went a bit beyond what he was required to do. The trigger on this rifle still breaks at an "authorized weight" but it is smooth with no creep at all.

This particular rifle is not the least bit sensitive to bullet design as I can load it up with any of the popular 100gr. bullets and it hits to the same point of impact at 100yds. with all of them. It shoots consistent 1" to 1 1/2" groups if I do my part.

It is also not too particular about powder, but I have consistently achieved my best results with H4831.

I would definitely recommend this cal. for a re-barrel or for a new piece.

This post is coming from a shooter who is also a GREAT fan of the 257 Roberts.

I don't have a great deal of experience with factory ammo. It may not be available at Wally World, but I have seen it at most independent shops and it has always been available at the gun shows at a reasonable price.
Old November 13, 2018, 10:54 AM   #38
Trapper 30-30

I have a Remington Mod.7 in 6MM that I bought the first year Remington made them. Has a Nikon 3x9 in Leopold mounts. Hand load 100 gr Nosler's and Hornadys and they shoot great. Have killed several deer here in the Adirondacks and think there is nothing better to hunt with.
Old November 14, 2018, 09:43 PM   #39
shurshot

I am a .270 guy, but after shooting a dozen woodchucks and most recently (last week), a deer, with my son's Remington 700 SPS in .243, I am in love with the caliber! Ammo is available almost everywhere. With a Nikon Prostaff scope,
I can blister quarters from a rest at 100 yards. With lighter varmint rounds fired at woodchucks, it is explosive and leaves a cloud of pink mist. With 100 grain bullets, it drops deer as quick as my .270.
Old December 12, 2018, 07:44 PM   #40
dvdcrr

Got a new custom barrel in 6mm Remington coming in tomorrow. Going to be fun!
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old January 21, 2019, 07:43 PM   #41
LJOHNS

My family has killed truck loads of deer with a 6mm. My grandfather, dad, and uncles all bought them back in the late 60’s early 70’s. Not sure why they all went with that caliber back then. I now have a couple rifles in 6mm.
Old January 21, 2019, 08:20 PM   #42
TX Nimrod

I bought an M788 in 1970 chambered in 6mm Remington. Never fired a factory round, all handloads mostly with the Hornady 75HP over 46 grains of IMR4350. Killed a lot of Nevada jacks with that load. Later loaded the Hornady 87-grain SP over 44 grains of IMR4350, shot feral goat and deer. One black bear almost got away, so after moving to Alaska I switched to more potent rounds.

The best shot I ever made was on a male mallard at 250 yards with the 75-grain bullet (it was a 1/2 moa load). Clipped off his head, recovered him and ate him the next night. Four witnesses so it did happen. Statute of limitations has run out!

Old January 21, 2019, 09:59 PM   #43
jmr40

Remington made the same mistake with the .244 that they did with the 260, and to a degree the same mistake they made with the 280/7mm-06/ 7mm Express cartridges. Remington envisioned the .244 as a varmint round and initially made them with 12 twist barrels that really did best with bullets well under 100 gr. They also chose to offer factory loads with soft bullets not suited for big game.

The Winchester 243 came with a 10 twist barrel that could handle both light varmint bullets and heavier big game bullets. Hunters chose the more versatile 243 by a wide margin.

When Remington renamed it the 6mm Rem they also went with a 9 twist barrel that was even better than the 243 with heavier bullets. But it was too late, and American shooters weren't yet ready to accept cartridges with metric designations. A good cartridge that Remington mis-managed.

Winston Churchill
Old January 21, 2019, 10:46 PM   #44
Jbotto

This is a good reading post! I like the .243 but have been disappointed with its lack of exit wounds. Always found the deer but even with the Barnes TSX I was expecting exits. Never got them. Shortly before I married my wife, I found out her deer rifle that had been mothballed for the years she was in college is a 6mm tang-safety Ruger M77. We haven’t got it out to shoot yet, but it’s in the plans. I look forward to reloading for it and seeing how the TSX’s perform on deer later this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk