The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 17, 2013, 07:17 PM   #1
TinyDee

The Caliber thing

I went to a revolver some time ago and now am thinking of adding a semi auto again. But in talking to some dealers I have been told the 9MM is the way to go today. They said the 45 was really out of date. I always had one before and wonder just what to think about this. Advice?
Old February 17, 2013, 07:21 PM   #2
4runnerman

IMHO-- The dealers you are talking to are out of Date. The 45 ACP continues to be a very saught after caliber. Nothing against the 9MM either. They are also a very good caliber. Much cheaper to shoot than the 45 ACP is. In the end-Grab what you like. Me-- I stuck with the 45 just because.
Old February 17, 2013, 07:23 PM   #3
SIGSHR

Starting the Caliber Wars is what pistoleros do on a Slow News Day.The 45-I presume you mean 45 ACP-is as out of date as the 30/06 or the 12 gauge.
Old February 17, 2013, 07:25 PM   #4
BarryLee

The 9mm is probably the most common caliber, most available and least expensive of the three more mainstream calibers (9mm, .40S&W & .45ACP). Folks will argue the point for pages and pages, but really good quality ammo in any of the three will do very well. The trick is selecting the handgun and ammo that best fits your application. For a general use semi-auto I would probably start with a nice medium sized 9mm and go from there.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 17, 2013, 07:32 PM   #5
KMAX

Go for what you like, not what somebody else says is "out of date". Revolvers are out of date and 45Colt is out of date. I had a blast this morning with my out of date 45Colt single action revolver. I don't think 45acp will ever be out of date if you consider the popularity of the 1911 platform alone. Get what you like.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old February 17, 2013, 07:46 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

I, too, am something of a .45 ACP fan, but the reality is that almost no professionals carry .45 any more, it is all 9mm. Nor, AFAIK, is the .45 any longer the service pistol of any nation. Barring Obama banning all guns by executive order, there will probably be .45 fans into the next century, but the fact of the matter is that by nearly any practical standard it is obsolete, just like the .45 Colt and the .45-70.

Jim
Old February 17, 2013, 08:32 PM   #7
Groundhog34

"I, too, am something of a .45 ACP fan, but the reality is that almost no professionals carry .45 any more, it is all 9mm. Nor, AFAIK, is the .45 any longer the service pistol of any nation. Barring Obama banning all guns by executive order, there will probably be .45 fans into the next century, but the fact of the matter is that by nearly any practical standard it is obsolete, just like the .45 Colt and the .45-70. "

The reason no "professionals" carry 45 is the result of affirmative action the "manning down" of law enforcement and the military. 45's have a good bit more recoil then the 9mm. Women and weaker males that affirmative action have forced into the "professional" field often cannot handle the cartridge helping increase the popularity of the 9mm. That said many "professionals" employed by agencies that allow a 45 to be carried by those proficient to handle it do.

Obsolete NEVER
Old February 17, 2013, 09:09 PM   #8
ttarp

I doubt anyone who gets shot really cares too much if the caliber was obsolete or how its ballistics rank with 9mm, .40 or whatever. It has pro's and cons like every other caliber out there. It's not being phased out of production or anything if that's your concern.
Old February 17, 2013, 09:15 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
But in talking to some dealers I have been told the 9MM is the way to go today. They said the 45 was really out of date.
The 9mm is actually an older cartridge than the .45ACP by a few years. Both are over 100 years old.

It is true that 9mm is the most popular centerfire pistol cartridge in the U.S. as far as civilian sales go. I believe that .40S&W is tops in the U.S. LE market.
Quote:
I, too, am something of a .45 ACP fan, but the reality is that almost no professionals carry .45 any more, it is all 9mm.
It has dropped in popularity, I think. The last data I have is from a December 2011 article indicating that the .45ACP was trailing the .357SIG in the LE market.
Old February 17, 2013, 09:38 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Quote:
Women and weaker males that affirmative action have forced into the "professional" field often cannot handle the cartridge helping increase the popularity of the 9mm.
Wow, that's rather ignorant IMO.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 17, 2013, 10:10 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

So many reasons for the .45 dropping from favor for other cartridge choices than the diatribe put forth by groundhog..

WOW is all I got for that...

Brent
Old February 17, 2013, 10:13 PM   #12
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

"The reason no "professionals" carry 45 is the result of affirmative action the "manning down" of law enforcement and the military."

Gigglesnort. I'd halfway expect to hear that when the Gunshop Commandos are all gathered around, pontificating on their version of the Real World.

Come to think of it, I have. Dang near seventy years worth of it.
Old February 17, 2013, 10:36 PM   #13
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Gigglesnort. I'd halfway expect to hear that when the Gunshop Commandos are all gathered around, pontificating on their version of the Real World.
In Gushop Commando Real World, everyone has Viking chest hair and a beard like Chris Costa. Everyone. Square dance night is pretty awkward and quite alarming to witness.

Quote:
The last data I have is from a December 2011 article indicating that the .45ACP was trailing the .357SIG in the LE market.
That doesn't count for much, though. LE has never really embraced the .45 all that much. By the time automatics came into regular use, magazine capacity was a big consideration, and the 9mm (and later .40 S&W) won out on that front.

As long as there are guns for it, the loading will stay alive. As long as guns are still being produced for it, it will thrive. Most major manufacturers are making first-tier pistols in .45, and Springfield's new little polymer dealie is selling like hotcakes.

I don't see the .45 going away anytime soon. Now, if they were referring to .45 GAP, that's a whole other matter...
Old February 18, 2013, 11:41 AM   #14
Tactical Jackalope

Salesmen do and say salesmen things.

That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard a salesmen posing as a weapons professional, every say. Almost as dumb as a shotgun blast will send the intruder flying.

I bet he was trying to sell you an expensive 9mm.

Take what almost everyone says with a grain of salt.
Old February 18, 2013, 11:48 AM   #15
1-DAB

i should go into business selling grains of salt....then i could afford to buy as much 'out of favor' ammo as i want.
Old February 18, 2013, 11:52 AM   #16
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
i should go into business selling grains of salt....then i could afford to buy as much 'out of favor' ammo as i want.

You know they seriously have "flavored salts".
Old February 18, 2013, 01:36 PM   #17
tahunua001

considering that 9mm has been around almost as long as 45ACP their argument is retarded. people have been trying to find a way to phase out the 45ACP for decades and the closest anyone came was the 10mm, how popular is that one?

45ACP may not have the best ammo capacity but aside from 10mm and 44 automag it is still the hardest hitting semi cartridge around. guys working behind the counter have too much time on their hands and generally talk out the wrong end to try and justify why something's not in stock or to point you towards a newer, more expensive model.

I have stopped going to certain LGS for just that reason. too much opinions floating around and being passed off as the gospel. heck one of them is wearing a springfield shirt every time I walk in there but the only guns he recomends are glocks, glocks, the fn 5.7 in the corner for $1100 and more glocks...
Old February 18, 2013, 02:07 PM   #18
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard a salesmen posing as a weapons professional, every say. Almost as dumb as a shotgun blast will send the intruder flying.
That's untrue. According to Gun Shop logic, the sound of the action being cycled will cause any would-be intruder to wet his pants and run to the nearest clergyperson to repent his sins.
Old February 18, 2013, 02:36 PM   #19
peacefulgary

The .45 ACP certainly isn't "out of date", but it has lost lost some of its appeal, mostly due to the popularity of "high capacity" pistols.
One can have a full sized 9mm pistol with 17 rounds and still have a slim enough grip for the average Joe.
High capacity .45 pistols usually have a fat grip that is too large for average size hands.
And the .40 S&W has chipped away at the .45 following since it offers the supposed compromise between bullet size and capacity vs the 9mm and the .45 ACP.

Interestingly enough, if "high capacity" magazines are banned and folks are limited to 10 rounds, I suspect the .45 ACP will become more popular than it is right now.
If you can only carry 10 rounds then there's really not much incentive to go with the weaker caliber.
Old February 18, 2013, 02:42 PM   #20
zeke4351

The Caliber thing

I think I will drag out my 10mm. I guess that will be better than all those extra bullets.
Old February 18, 2013, 03:02 PM   #21
BillyJack3

I love both calibers. My 9 holds 15 rounds and my .45 holds 8 (Sig 1911). Right now, I shoot my .45 all the time. Because so many people have run out and purchased hi cap 9mm pistols, 9mm ammo is no where to be found around here. I can still find .45 on the shelves if I time it right though.
Old February 18, 2013, 03:12 PM   #22
KMAX

Gotta agree with BillyJack3 on this. I have a lot of 45acp. I have to be more conservative with my 9mm. I found 45 at Walmart this morning, but no other pistol ammo.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old February 18, 2013, 03:25 PM   #23
zeke4351

The Caliber thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by James K View Post
I, too, am something of a .45 ACP fan, but the reality is that almost no professionals carry .45 any more, it is all 9mm. Nor, AFAIK, is the .45 any longer the service pistol of any nation. Barring Obama banning all guns by executive order, there will probably be .45 fans into the next century, but the fact of the matter is that by nearly any practical standard it is obsolete, just like the .45 Colt and the .45-70.

Jim
I don't know what part of the country you are in but all the pros around here carry .40 S&W and I thought that was the going caliber for this day and time. The state police went from 10mm to 40 and in doing so sold off a bunch of 45's unfired. They changed their mind to the 40 before ever putting the 45 in service. I don't know how or why all that came about but it seems all other police around here carry the 40 also. Seems to me the only place the 40 is not popular is on the gun forums. The majority of people that carry a pistol with their life depending on it in my world carry a 40. It does kick too much for a lot of target practice.
Old February 18, 2013, 04:37 PM   #24
rem44m

I love the .45 fat and slow. Like my first girlfriend.

"If gun owners are as violent as anti-gunners said we are, there wouldn't be any anti's left"
Old February 18, 2013, 04:46 PM   #25
shootniron

Quote:
That doesn't count for much, though. LE has never really embraced the .45 all that much. By the time automatics came into regular use, magazine capacity was a big consideration, and the 9mm (and later .40 S&W) won out on that front.
Very true...and the .40 was helped along considerably by Glock and it's relationship with law enforcement.
Closed Thread