The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old November 11, 2018, 12:07 AM   #1
MisterCrabby

Dems Plan Sweeping Gun Control

15 “A” legislators were replaced with “F” anti 2A politicians, in addition to the house changing leadership to the democrat party, giving new life to hopes of much more restrictive gun laws. Get ready! WSJ article below.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...des-1541791440
Old November 11, 2018, 06:13 AM   #2
RETG

Can't read the article cause I won't pay the WSJ to read; however, the house can pass whatever they desire but it has to go through the Senate and be signed by the President; therefore, not much will happen.
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old November 11, 2018, 08:01 AM   #3
2wheelwander

Saw that. They can plan and propose all the bills they want. They still don't own the Senate or White House.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFroMQlKiag
Old November 11, 2018, 09:01 AM   #4
BarryLee

Quote:
They still don't own the Senate or White House.

Well, as of right now they don't, but we've seen areas that traditionally support the Second Amendment either elect or come very close to electing leaders that oppose firearms freedom (Texas, Arizona, Georgia…). I'm afraid many people sort of dozed after the last election thinking we were ok. The enemies of freedom never sleep and we need to wake back up.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old November 11, 2018, 09:13 AM   #5
Onward Allusion

Nothing happening until after 2020. It will be up to us to make sure it doesn't happen.
Old November 11, 2018, 09:33 AM   #6
USNRet93

yup, the sky is not falling and these legislators on both sides are now 'on record' traveling toward the 2020 'big one'..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 11, 2018, 10:29 AM   #7
natman

The purpose of this proposed legislation is not to change anything, it's so that the Republicans and the NRA can be blamed when it fails to pass.
Old November 11, 2018, 10:40 AM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
purpose of this proposed legislation is not to change anything, it's so that the Republicans and the NRA can be blamed when it fails to pass.
and therefore also be either directly blamed, or be "guilty by association" for every murder (mass or otherwise) that happens, since the Dem's proposed laws "would have prevented it".

Their logic is simple. FLAWED, but simple, and its already in play, has been for a while.

Murder is evil.
Mass Murder is more evil.
Mass Murder is done with guns.
Therefore, gun are evil.
The NRA like guns,
Therefore the NRA wants mass murder.
SO, the NRA is evil.
The NRA supports the GOP...(see where this is going??)

Therefore, All Republicans support mass murder and are evil!
Vote Democrat, if you want to live...
Old November 11, 2018, 10:57 AM   #9
USNRet93

2008-Dec 2016-61 deaths from mass shootings
Jan 2016-till today-171

-wikipedia

Pretty sure nobody wants any more mass shootings..nobody has a 'solution'. It shouldn't be a political football, but it is and will remain so. Plenty of Dems are not antigun and plenty of GOP are more restrictive than Dems..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 11, 2018, 11:51 AM   #10
2wheelwander

Forgot to link to the story but the nearest gun shop was monitored and interviewed by a reporter immediately after the bar mass shooting a few days ago. In short, the owner could not do background checks, run the register, and buzz people in the front door fast enough. People were lined up waiting to get in. The reporter was honest enough to state in the interview the owner said many of his customers were closet liberals who would never admit to owning a firearm. One woman in the store questioned her boyfriends manhood if he didn't own up and buy a handgun. As encouraging as this is, its also equally scary that there are hundreds or more people across this country buying firearms whose sole training is Die Hard 2.
Old November 11, 2018, 12:19 PM   #11
Armed_Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93
Demonstrably false.

12/14/2012 Sandy Hook 27 dead
12/02/2015 San Bernardino 16 dead
06/12/2016 Orlando 49 dead

That's 92 right there just off the top of my head.
Old November 11, 2018, 12:22 PM   #12
TXAZ

Demo's have to. They were labeled as 'ineffective' by many of their donors (and is true for Congress as a whole).
They clearly didn't have a say in the current congress other than obstructionism (compared to the previous 'pass it to see what's in it').
So we're in what "Round 5" (maybe 6?) of the Feinstein AWB / All weapons ban that again won't pass.

But complacency is an issue. We'll see.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 11, 2018, 01:10 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93
Jan 2016-till today-171

-wikipedia
That double counts 2016.

My numbers:
2008-2016 = 245 killed
2017-2018 = 217 killed

Not good, but far off from what their number purport to show. And my numbers intentionally do not include the shooter. But ... my numbers do include school shootings, including some with fewer than 4 people killed.

If there's any interest in what I've compiled, if someone has a Google Docs account and wants to host it, I'd be happy to send that person a copy of the spreadsheet and they can upload it to Google Docs and post the link.
Old November 11, 2018, 01:56 PM   #14
USNRet93

Quote:
Demonstrably false.
Not my point..My point is that mass shootings, regardless of how you count them, is a problem that transcends politics and partisanship..or it should. ...I don't think it should be a zero sum game, not an 'us vs them' argument. I doubt anybody would disagree that mass shootings have increased a lot. I don't know why nor do I have any idea how to reduce the number.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 11, 2018, 04:27 PM   #15
Dano4734

Only thing I heard was people on both sides saying something has to be done on Mental health issues with firearms
Old November 12, 2018, 06:58 AM   #16
Spats McGee
Staff

This is Law and Civil Rights. While I see a general discussion of gun control, I don't see any specific bills or laws that would fall under "Dems Plan Sweeping Gun Control." When there's some specific legal or civil rights aspect, such as a bill being introduced in Congress, we can discuss that. As it is, this one's headed down a general political and societal path and, thus, closed.