The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 22, 2018, 02:25 AM   #1
KyleYankee

80% lower as a pistol WA STATE

Can someone who is between 18 and 21 in the state of Washington manufacture a handgun out of an 80% lower, provided they comply with the maker's mark law?

For example: I cannot buy an AR pistol or buy a rifle and have it SBR'd 'till 21, but could I legally mill out an 80% lower and put a 10.5" upper on there so long as I don't add a vertical grip or rifle stock?

Thanks
Old July 22, 2018, 11:50 AM   #2
2wheelwander

Another reason to live in a red state.

Sorry, OP, this sounds the difference between State and Federal laws. I know of no federal law prohibiting this. By vertical grip I assume you mean a fore end grip? If you don't add that or a rifle stock it remains a pistol.

I'm not familiar with makers mark law except that you can't take a lower previously used as a rifle and convert it to a pistol, if thats what you mean. If you are using an 80% lower no one but you knows what it was used for. So my answer to your question is yes, go for it.

Keep in mind I am being an armchair internet lawyer and my advice may be worth less than you are paying for it. So long as I don't face jail time, I'll stand by my reasoning not knowing what laws you may deal with I don't have to. Good luck
Old July 23, 2018, 12:47 AM   #3
weaselfire

My understanding is that the WA law prohibits purchase, not ownership. So it would be legal. But... Check with a WA lawyer for the real answer.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk