The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 6, 2012, 11:22 PM   #76
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
By my standard, dry firing a gun is part of knowing how it will work for me and if a person is looking at a gun for purchase - absolutely required.
It's not your gun, so your general attitudes about firearms don't govern how the gun should be handled. The current owner is the one who has the final say.

Ask first. If the answer is no, then buy somewhere else.
Old September 7, 2012, 01:10 AM   #77
youngunz4life

and I don't ever point a gun at someone so i do have an issue with the fact that some people think it is ok when they shop around for weapons....as for the other post, that woman was probably aiming at you on purpose(either without thinking or thinking you made it easier for her to 'try it out')
Old September 7, 2012, 05:52 AM   #78
Nathan

Quote:
When someone tells me they need and EDC SHTF rifle for CQB that's good for zombie apes at 1000 yards and they know from first-hand experience that it has to have 30-round clips and be chambered in something larger than .223 because .223 has no stopping power and the ammo needs to be cheap in case society melts down...

...and after listening for ten minutes, we establish that they've never even shot a rifle, and they just need something under $500 for occasionally hunting whitetail. Great, here's a decent .30-30 and maybe a 10/22 for junior.
. . . and this is the problem with the internet. You should be able to get an AR which is best for you without a 100% mil spec home built SBR with a silencer. You don't need 75gr Zombie slayer bullets.

Most homes can be effectively guarded without a rifle!

Most first time gun buyers would be best served with a 22, NRA basic class and lots of range time. HD, CCW, etc is a process. You don't need something today most likely.

Some people may need an SD gun fairly quick. In those cases, a Glock 9mm and as much training as one can absorb quickly would be best.
Old September 7, 2012, 07:24 AM   #79
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Most first time gun buyers would be best served with a 22, NRA basic class and lots of range time.
Tell a customer that, and you'll be branded an elitist snob.

People don't understand that shooting, especially defensive shooting, takes time to learn. They don't need all that if they've got the right hardware!
Old September 7, 2012, 09:19 AM   #80
MLeake

TS, it isn't just guns. Look how many first time motorcycle buyers want a Hayabusa or R1...
Old September 7, 2012, 02:27 PM   #81
bikerbill

I always ask when doing anything to a gun other than testing how it feels in my hand ... my LGS has a target mounted on an armored vest and attached to a wall which is brick outside in case you want to work the action ... never been an NG there to my knowledge, because they are vigilent about keeping ammo and guns separate and checking twice before letting you aim at the target ...
Old September 7, 2012, 07:24 PM   #82
9mm

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=20745

^ CTD's blog on gun store etiquette

remember all guns are loaded.
Old September 7, 2012, 07:26 PM   #83
scrubcedar

Walked into a local gun store once, they handed me a shotgun without checking to make sure it was empty. I was instantly uncomfortable but was too much of a noob to hand it back and politely ask the woman behind the counter to make sure it was unloaded. I later bought the same model of shotgun somewhere else for a little more money. The gun store has since gone out of business. I never went back but heard from others that the owner and salespeople were normally arrogant and superior. The etiquette of the gun store folks matters too, if they make you uncomfortable, leave.
Old September 7, 2012, 08:42 PM   #84
Loronzo

I agree it's always just proper etiquette to ask the salesperson how you plan to handle a weapon. Several months ago I went to one of my local ranges with my boss, he had never shot a pistol in his life but is considering purchasing one for SD purposes I brought 6 of varying calibers/styles for him to try. After we were done shooting I put them in my car and went "window shoppiing with him", roughly explaining some of the differences (they have quiet a nice selection). Over the past couple of years I've spent a good chunk of change with them (Year range passes, firearm purchases, transfers, etc.) It was slow so one of the reps came over and volunteered to let him hold/dry fire about 10 different makes, although I explained we were just window shopping but he didn't mind, I wasn't even going to ask him to get anything out of the case.

You know my mother always told me you get more flys with honey. I'm always polite with almosta everyone I meetand I feel it really pays off. Aside from this I was actually steered away from a couple of purchases at the same shop, they were honest about what I was buying. I still ended up buying another rifle and pistol that day, and they still have me as a loyal customer, it's called integrity. (They have even let me borrow a tool in shop once so I could finish one of my rifles, although I went in to buy the tool for a one time use it ended up only costing me 5 rounds of ammo that I let him shoot after I made sure it was cycling properly.)
Old September 9, 2012, 11:26 PM   #85
Ben Towe

Quote:
Ahem.......you rapid dryfire a $2500 Colt Python infront of the store owner or a 99% rimfire Mk III with a strait face telling him "this will never hurt it" I will pay $20 to watch that go down......
If you do that at one store I know of you will be buying it. You dry fire it, you buy it. I don't necessarily like the policy, but they do have lots of $8,000 Dakotas and $10,000 Barretts on the shelf, so I can understand not taking any chances.
Old September 9, 2012, 11:57 PM   #86
9mm

^ the whole gun? wouldn't you just need a new firing pin ?
Old September 10, 2012, 12:07 AM   #87
Ben Towe

Quote:
^ the whole gun? wouldn't you just need a new firing pin ?
Yes, the whole gun. They have signs everywhere so it would be hard to feign ignorance.
Old September 10, 2012, 07:58 AM   #88
MLeake

They may have signs, but without a signature I think they would have a hard time collecting anything beyond actual damages in a lawsuit.
Old September 10, 2012, 10:23 PM   #89
youngunz4life

yeah they can't force a sale, but I think they probably get their point across much more often than not
Old September 11, 2012, 03:44 AM   #90
Ben Towe

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngunz4life View Post
yeah they can't force a sale, but I think they probably get their point across much more often than not
Exactly. The heavily armed 600 pound man at the front counter also serves as a guard against non-compliance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old September 11, 2012, 09:25 AM   #91
TennJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Towe View Post
Exactly. The heavily armed 600 pound man at the front counter also serves as a guard against non-compliance.

While I am completely in the ask first corner, this store is too far to the extreme. The must have a heck of an inventory and better prices than anyone else, because intimidation is usually not the best tactic for a small business. I would never dryfire of of their guns, but I would also never go back to the store if it is the way you say it is
Old September 11, 2012, 09:32 AM   #92
MLeake

Let the well armed 600 pound man enforce compliance even once, and see how fast the false imprisonment, extortion, intimidation, and/or assault charges and lawsuits fly.

Sounds like your LGS is run by yahoos, Ben Towe.
Old September 11, 2012, 01:05 PM   #93
45_auto

Quote:
Are you really afraid that he's going to shoot you or hit you?

I'm with the other posters. Things must be different where you are, a shop like that wouldn't last long around here.
Old September 11, 2012, 01:22 PM   #94
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Are you really afraid that he's going to shoot you or hit you?
You really can't enforce civility or common sense.

There are some folks I just don't let handle certain things. The attention-deficit Call of Duty crowd can admire the unfired 1851 Colt or the $7000 Barret from afar.
Old September 11, 2012, 09:02 PM   #95
Ben Towe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLeake View Post
Let the well armed 600 pound man enforce compliance even once, and see how fast the false imprisonment, extortion, intimidation, and/or assault charges and lawsuits fly.

Sounds like your LGS is run by yahoos, Ben Towe.
It's not my LGS, it's actually a couple hours away, and yes, they're definitely a little nutty, but they have a huge selection. I worded that last comment poorly, it was supposed to be a bit more humorous but I was tired when I replied.

Old September 12, 2012, 09:50 PM   #96
Justice06RR

When checking out a particular firearm, I always re-check that the chamber is clear even when the store employee already did. I usually point towards the floor if I dry fire it, never up to the ceiling because you can still accidentally point it at someone else.