The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 30, 2011, 08:28 PM   #1
pabuckslayer08

50 mm objective with Med. height rings?

Hey guys, Im thinking of upping my scope on my rem 700 30-06 from a 40mm objective to a 50mm objective. Do you think on this particular gun I will need to go with a high ring or will the med. still work for me. If I do have to go to the high will it cause me any sighting issues? Never owned a 50mm scope but want to give one a try. Oh and it will be a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10-50 or the 4-14-50.
Old November 30, 2011, 08:42 PM   #2
scwhitetail

Are you going to be using Leupold rings and bases. According to their website:

"50mm OBJECTIVES will almost always use HIGH rings in a given style. In certain instances, such as with extremely heavy barrels or some makes of firearm, SUPER HIGH rings may be necessary."

So with a standard barrel, you should be good with high rings. It's possible that you could go with medium rings, but it really depends on the scope (i.e. casing thickness around the objective, ect.)

It won't cause any sighting issues past your zero range, however shooting at a distance shorter than your zero you will have to compensate for the bullets impact being a little lower than you would on a low or medium mounted 3-9x40.

Also, if their is a possibility of a close-ish moving shot (such as deer or coyote hunting) the 2.5-10x50 will be better because the lower zoom will give you a wider field of view and quicker target acquisition. Also at powers above x10, a good paralax adjustment is great to have, if you do not have it on your scope, slight mis-positioning of your eye in relationship to the scope will cause the cross hairs to appear several inches away from the target. This can be solved, or at least improved, with a good pad or stock with adjustable comb.
Old November 30, 2011, 08:50 PM   #3
UtopiaTexasG19

Most of the specification sheets for scopes tell you the distance from the center of the front lens to the edge of the outer casing so you can just compare that to the specs. of the different mounts to see just how much clearance you will have between the bottom edge of the front of the scope and the barrel.
Old November 30, 2011, 09:30 PM   #4
pabuckslayer08

How about the Monarch 42 and 44 mm, would they too need the high rings
Old November 30, 2011, 09:58 PM   #5
jmr40

Probably need high rings.

Don't do it, the 50mm lenses have far more negatives than positives. They have to be mounted too high, too heavy, change the guns balance, cost a lot more, and don't offer any more useable light unless they are set at 9X or above. And then only if the 50mm lense has glass equal in quality to a 40mm lense. You can often get better quality 40mm glass for less money and often find it is better even though the lense is smaller.

Buy a good scope with a 40mm lense and mount it in low or medium rings.
Old November 30, 2011, 10:14 PM   #6
csmsss

50mm objectives do not always require high rings. I am using medium height rings on my Savage 16 with a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x 50mm scope.

A factor no one has mentioned is that the diameter of the tube has an effect on the height necessary to clear the barrel. My Bushnell scope has a 30mm, not a 1" tube, and that helps provide the extra height above the action so that I don't have to use high rings. For what it's worth, I'm using a Deadnutz single base mount.
Old November 30, 2011, 10:38 PM   #7
timelinex

For what its worth I have a Savage FCP-K and a Vortex PST 6-24X50X on some Burris XTR low rings. I have no problems, and thats WITH butler creek caps on. So While it may vary with rifle and scope, don't be so sure that you wont be able to fit a 50mm with low rings.
Old November 30, 2011, 10:43 PM   #8
jhnrckr

I have a 50mm on my Rem 7400 and i am using medium rings. If you have open sights you may have to scoot the scope back to clear the rear sights as I did. I went with a 40mm on the following gun/scope setup. I pretty much never have to zoom in past 9 or 10X and my 50mm is a 4-14x and resolution suffers a little at higher zoom. I do use it for night hunting with the hope that 50mm gathers more light but again a smaller (more expensive) scope may do the same. It is a beast, forget two rifles double gun case, especially if it has the big turrets. It adds weight to a hunting gun. Depending on your application I would probably say a 40mm is a better choice.
Old December 1, 2011, 09:08 AM   #9
madcratebuilder

You can't just go by "med" or "high", different rings well have different heights. The scope bell needs to be measured as these are different, you can't rely on the glass diameter.

Midway has a chart for choosing ring height.
Old December 1, 2011, 11:52 AM   #10
blacksky

Midway has a chart for choosing ring height.

See link below for ring height chart:

http://www.midwayusa.com/content/legacy/ring_height.htm
Old December 1, 2011, 12:00 PM   #11
White Mamba

It really depends on the height of the base you're gonna use. I have a 20 MOA base on my rifle & Medium rings work great with a 30mm tube & 50mm objective.
Old December 1, 2011, 12:22 PM   #12
Saltydog235

All my 50mm objectives get high rings. Probably depends on the scope, type rifle and eye relief you need more than anything.
Old December 1, 2011, 03:39 PM   #13
SSA

If you have more than .2" clearance between your 40mm scope and the barrel, you have room for a 50mm scope of the same length.
Old December 1, 2011, 06:20 PM   #14
pabuckslayer08

That I do have over .2" of clearence, I have around .335 to be exact and the gun has no rear sight on it. Im trying to convert this gun into a hard core hunting gun mainly. I bought it as a SPS 700 then bought a walnut stock and had it floated and bedded, had the trigger done, added a new pad to the stock, and I also some may call me dumb sealed off the floor plate, I was having issues of dumping shells so I just sealed it off, only thing I did was scratch my new stock slightly while securing it to dry. But now im on the scope. If any one has a good way of removing scratchs let me know, I dont want to take it apart and sand it down but if you guys thing some sort of sealer would make it look nice Ill try it, someone said to get Olde English Scratch Remover?