The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 3, 2017, 01:23 PM   #26
Bartholomew Roberts

Yup, scoped rifle is definitely .308. Just noticed it has a giant DD5v1 stamp on the upper.

As for the ammo, can't tell if that is a material other than brass or just odd lighting. Pretty blurry; but does that say "Nikon" on the turrets?
Old October 3, 2017, 01:38 PM   #27
FITASC

Quote:
Quote:
How was he able to get all of the equipment up there without arising ANY suspicion from employees or guests?
Thru garage?
13 suitcases full of ammo and 21 rifles?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 3, 2017, 01:43 PM   #28
jmhyer

Let's remember that he had checked into that room some four days prior to the shooting. That's plenty of time to make multiple trips up and down elevators with suitcases full of stuff and not invite attention.
Old October 3, 2017, 01:49 PM   #29
Nanuk

Quote:
NOT a good talking point.
In what context? Political correctness or efficiency?
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old October 3, 2017, 01:57 PM   #30
shooterdownunder

The sun has reported so far
4x daniel defence DDM4
1x colt AR-15
3x FN FN-15
At least 1x AK-47
1x unknown handgun
Old October 3, 2017, 02:18 PM   #31
Bartholomew Roberts

I'm sure the Sun is just reporting what they are told; but at least one of the Daniel Defense rifles was a .308 DD5v1 and not an M4. The "unknown handgun" appears to be a hammerless J-frame, though I'm not a revolver expert so it might be some similar nickel or stainless hammerless snub.

As for the efficiacy of a bumpfire stock, I mean, Kristen Rand of VPC is saying "It’s just a gimmick to make your Youtube video and show people how fast you’re shooting your gun.” Imagine that.

I'm counting 18 Surefire 100rd quad stacks. That's what? About $3000 in mags and another $600-ish in ammo?

Last edited by Bartholomew Roberts; October 3, 2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old October 3, 2017, 02:57 PM   #32
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguychris
NOT a good talking point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuk
In what context? Political correctness or efficiency?
Call me PC, but don't you think it's a little morose to discuss how the death toll could have been even greater?
Old October 3, 2017, 03:11 PM   #33
Nanuk

Quote:
Call me PC, but don't you think it's a little morose to discuss how the death toll could have been even greater?
You missed the point. The point is that sure he laid down lots of fire but it was not very efficient. Prior to my retirement that is one of the things I did, debrief critical incidents to learn from them. PC has no place in fact finding.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old October 3, 2017, 03:24 PM   #34
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleEd
QUOTE: AR-15s have never been sold as automatic rifles, because they are not automatic rifles. UNQUOTE

Aguilla Blanca,

I'll give you a "semi." Is that good enough?

Good grief!
No, not "Good grief!"

This incident is going to give the anti-gun crowd talking points for the next year. They will be doing everything within their power to portray everything about guns in the most negative manner possible. They are already blathering about "miltary-grade" rifles, and "military-grade projectiles." They will seize on anything they can in oder to sway public opinion to their warped view.

Words have meaning, and it's extremely important for us right now to be very careful of what we say and how we say it, because we can expect that it will be taken out of context and twisted around to be used against us. The AR-15 is not, and never has been, an "automatic" firearm. We know that, but the media and the gun grabbers have spent years doing their best to brainwash the general public into thinking there's no difference between an AR-15 and a full-auto or select-fire M16.

We should not make their job easier for them by using incorrect terminology ourselves.
Old October 3, 2017, 03:57 PM   #35
5whiskey

It is a shame that we are having this discussion, in the context that it is a shame that this happened in the first place. I know we will be discussing this a great deal as it is likely to have an impact on a past-time that is a big part of our lives. For now, and for me, I just can't imagine what the victims and their families are dealing with right now. This is so sad.

God rest for all those that were killed, and I pray for a speedy recovery for the injured.
Old October 3, 2017, 04:22 PM   #36
Evan Thomas

Thank you, 5whiskey. On that note, I'm going to close this.

The OP specifically requested that discussion be limited to facts about the types of guns used in this incident. Discussion of their relative "efficiency," speculation about logistics, and consideration of how this may influence the politics of gun rights are all off-topic.

We are not going to indulge in speculation about this incident in this or any other thread; so, closed.