The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 1, 2017, 11:03 AM   #51
Metal god

When it's your child who you are reponsible for it does matter how well you keep your firearms secure . Especially if there's a reasonable expectation keeping firearms away from your child is a good idea . Point was this case specifically and not in the context of a stanger taking something that's not theres .

I agree he was not legally a prohibited person . In his case I'm not sure he would have been . Asperger's syndrome does not appear to commonly manifest it self into violent actions so not sure it would be one of those mental illnesses that prompts the prohibited persons action in the law .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; October 1, 2017 at 11:47 AM. Reason: addaed the asperger's syndrome part
Old October 1, 2017, 11:27 AM   #52
P5 Guy

Would Nancy Lanza be a straw purchaser if she bought the firearms for her son knowing his mental state?
Old October 1, 2017, 12:21 PM   #53
RaySendero

This "Mental Health" issue!?

This "Mental Health" issue is just another reason for
the "Government" to gain more control in we the people lives!

If your looking for a common reason,
Look at the parental up bringing!
Old October 1, 2017, 12:57 PM   #54
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god
When it's your child who you are reponsible for it does matter how well you keep your firearms secure . Especially if there's a reasonable expectation keeping firearms away from your child is a good idea . Point was this case specifically and not in the context of a stanger taking something that's not theres .
The Sandy Hook shooting was in Connecticut. Connecticut state law requires that firearms not be stored in a way that they are accessible to children. That law defines (for the purpose of that particular law) a child as being under the age of 16. The shooter was 20 years old at the time, so he was not subject to the Connecticut "safe storage" law, and I would argue that since he was old enough to enlist in the military and be trained to carry and use weapons, he was not a "child."
Old October 1, 2017, 01:02 PM   #55
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5 Guy
Would Nancy Lanza be a straw purchaser if she bought the firearms for her son knowing his mental state?
First, she was his mother, so she obviously DID know his mental state. And she obviously didn't think his mental state was severe enough that he posed a danger. Unfortunately, she was wrong. How would that become a straw purchase?

A straw purchase is when someone purchases a firearm for someone else, typically using the other person's money. Nancy Lanza was a shooter. She bought the guns using her money. The fact that she allowed her son to shoot them doesn't make that into a straw purchase. The guns were in her house, in her safe. As has been noted, the son murdered his own mother to steal the guns.

Not a straw purchase. Just a tragic misjudgment on the part of both the mother and the shrink.
Old October 2, 2017, 08:36 AM   #56
P5 Guy

Aguila Blanca, Thanks for clearing this up for me. I'm foggy on straw buyers.
Old October 4, 2017, 11:41 PM   #57
ROCK6

I don't buy the "mental health" perspective. All adolescents have hormonal, irrational, and undisciplined behavior without much regard for consequences. What we have is a cultural issue. Labeling someone with a mental health problem just creates the same negative stereotype that has affected diagnosis within the military.

Guns aren't the issue, just the tool. Violence is the action where the root cause is a non-empathetic society, media-highlighted violent culture, politically polarized, and often violence-driven rhetoric from popular talking heads. Young men/teens these days are marginalized, stigmatized, and left with few outlets to vent. Even in anti-gun cultures, the end result is often suicide...the root cause isn't the tool, it's the culture.

Analyzing risk in the work place can result in solutions to mitigate many of these incidents, but you're just applying a reactive measure and you will never address the root cause. Our society is unwilling to focus on the real problems, with a much easier target of the tool or method...until that is addressed it's quite appropriate to have gun-related measures to counter violence in our schools and workplace. Just my opinion.

ROCK6