The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 14, 2018, 08:27 PM   #1
jonnyc

M4A1"Gery"

I've been thinking about my next AR, and I might have a path.
I recently got a MATECH flip-up rear sight and showed my co-worker (recently ex-10th Mountain). He told me he had the same sight on his issued M4A1 in Afghanistan. So now I want to build a pseudo-M4A1 around the rear back-up sight. Other than having a 16 in. barrel and no fun-switch, I am planning on having an ambi safety, A2 grip and front sight, and possibly some kind of ACOG clone.
Any other suggestions?
Old February 15, 2018, 08:04 AM   #2
Bartholomew Roberts

Are you going to put a RAS on it? M4A1 barrel?
Old February 15, 2018, 09:38 AM   #3
Destructo6

Quote:
Other than having a 16 in. barrel and no fun-switch
A 14.5" M4A1 barrel with a permanently attached extended hider (eg BCM's A2x) would work, too.

M4gerys were all the rage about a decade ago. Parts might be in the closeout sections of the various retailers. The current rage seems to be the throwback M16 clones (M16A1).
Quote:
A2 grip and front sight
Do not use an A2 front sight base/gas block. The M4 flattop series uses a 'f' marked front sight base/gas block that is slightly taller than the A2. If you mix them, the iron sights will give you fits.

Keep all of them clean.
Old February 15, 2018, 05:38 PM   #4
jonnyc

"Do not use an A2 front sight base/gas block. The M4 flattop series uses a 'f' marked front sight base/gas block that is slightly taller than the A2. If you mix them, the iron sights will give you fits."

Thanks! I already have the MaTech rear.
Old February 18, 2018, 06:24 AM   #5
Model12Win

Had one of those rear sights pop up on me during qualification on the M68 with every shot.

They're not that great. But I too would love an M4 clone. We use the M4 in the USAF, not the M4A1 but I would love us to switch if only due to the better trigger on semi-auto. Burst is still pretty fun though, I like qualifying with it.
Old February 18, 2018, 06:03 PM   #6
globemaster3

Instead of an ACOG clone, how about an Aimpoint? Although I have seen ACOGs on a couple M-4s while deployed, the majority, including mine, wore issued Aimpoint M68.

And don’t forget the fat quad rail... really wished they had used something slimmer. My issued rifle wore a KAC quad rail.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old February 18, 2018, 08:46 PM   #7
marine6680

I have yet to find a cheap ACOG clone that was worth the money you pay for it.

Don't get me wrong... $1k+ for an ACOG isn't really worth it either. they could probably drop the price down a third and still make a good profit... But I believe there are laws about selling to the military at the same price as civilians, so they would have to drop the price for the military as well.

(I say this... And I am about to get one of the 1.5x16s versions, with ACSS, due to my eyes getting a slight astigmatism in the past couple years. My Aimpoint went from a nice dot, to a small starburst... But I like small and trim, and the more decent prism sights available are bulky.)

Generally, I have seen rifles with the Matech sight and some kind of red dot/reflex... Trijicons, I seen mounted to carry handles.

Not that I have seen a ton of them first hand, I wasn't a grunt. And it's been 15 years since I was in, things are likely pretty different now.
Old February 18, 2018, 09:48 PM   #8
DubC-Hicks

That Matech would also go well on an M16A4 clone

You wouldn't have to deal with a pinned/welded flash hider, or the innacuracy of a 16" barrel for a clone build. And M16A4s are some fine lookin' rifles
Old February 20, 2018, 10:28 AM   #9
Destructo6

Quote:
Had one of those rear sights pop up on me during qualification on the M68 with every shot.
That's been my experience, as well. Even when new, they tend to pop up at the worst time, then, given some wear, the MAtech will do it every time.

The range adjustment lever also tends to move around quite a bit. Zero at the "300" setting, then look down after carrying it to discover it's now at "600."

I much prefer the Troy BUIS or similar.

Keep all of them clean.
Old February 24, 2018, 11:22 PM   #10
jonnyc

We had a real nice 16" Colt M4A1 at the store but it sold today, a week short of me being able to buy it. Oh well, back to the original plan of building.
I have the Matech rear sight, I just bought a Knight's RIS, already have a rear grip, and we have a few ambi choices at the shop. A kit from Palmetto should have the "F" front sight and almost everything else short of the stripped lower. Not sure if I'll go for a Spike's from work or get something less expensive.
Pretty sure I have a correct sling, so all that will be left will be an optic.