The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 12, 2018, 10:34 AM   #1
arcticap

Using Small Pistol Primers Instead of Percussion Caps

Found this method interesting if you're running low on percussion caps:

https://youtu.be/TUfHjX6gAQA

I checked the Lowes website and this size tubing only cost $3.08 for 20 feet.
It's listed as being in stock & on the shelf at my local Lowes:--->>> https://www.lowes.com/pd/EASTMAN-1-4...ing/1000180535

It's also available in a package of 10 feet for $1.88.
Old December 12, 2018, 04:13 PM   #2
Pahoo

Ahaa!!! A better mouse-trap.

Some folks are frugal and some are cheap. Being a Conservative makes me cheap. I really don't see a problem using these. There are other advantages to using these like, caps not falling off and improved sealing from the weather and chain-firing. I'd like to see these in use with loaded chambers and range use. I have been using this kind of tubing on ML rifles for years and as mentioned, they do hold up. arcticap As usual, thanks for your post...…

Be Safe !!!
Old December 14, 2018, 10:57 AM   #3
arcticap

Someone posted that the lip of the hammer cup on their rifle comes into contact with the tube and prevents the pistol primer from being struck, so it won't fire.
The tube may be too wide for the lip of the hammer cup on some rifles and interfere with the hammer falling all of the way to strike the primer.
I've seen mini-magnets that may be able to be placed inside of the hammer cup that might solve the problem on rifles that have this lip interference.
It would take some experimentation to see if works.
The mini-magnets are sold in bulk in various diameters & thicknesses and are relatively strong.
It would be a small project to fit a mini-magnet inside the hammer cup to see if that would provide enough clearance to eliminate the interference.

Or perhaps the outer diameter of the tube would need to be modified by shaving it down in the right way.
It may not be same on all rifles since their hammer cups may have different sizes, depths and shapes.
The pistol primers may work with some rifles and not others depending on the size of the hammer cup unless an adaptation can be made.

I would like to hear more feedback about whether the pistol primers will work with different rifles or not.
If anyone tries it please let us know how it works out.

Last edited by arcticap; December 14, 2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old December 14, 2018, 12:04 PM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

If you were to check the Forms Library concerning this technique. I'm sure you would find its been suggested in the past.
Old December 14, 2018, 12:10 PM   #5
Pahoo

Hammer to nipple alignment problem

Quote:
Someone posted that the lip of the hammer cup on their rifle comes into contact with the tube and prevents the pistol primer from being struck, so it won't fire.
arcticap
You have brought up an interesting point that is often not mentioned. That "someone" you are quoting, has an alignment problem. I have even seen chipped hammer cup walls. Ideally the center of the cup bottom should hit the center of the cap. not only that, but the cup face should crush the primer across the entire face or at least better than 60%. Granted, the tubing wall might be to thick in this case the main problem is not in the tubing. ……

Be Safe !!!
Old December 14, 2018, 06:18 PM   #6
arcticap

Pahoo, I think that you may be right about some hammers not being centered which could interfere.
It's the same with #11 to musket conversion nipples, if the hammer isn't well centered the musket nipple may not work.
That's why I would like to hear more feedback from other folks who may try small pistol primers with rifles, so that others can also benefit.
The small pistol primers may produce a hotter ignition which some rifles need.
Old December 14, 2018, 07:16 PM   #7
44 Dave

If it were mine I would correct the hammer, have done that on several.
Old December 15, 2018, 12:26 AM   #8
Nodak1858

I'm thinking I'm buying some tubing next trip to the hardware store.
Old December 16, 2018, 11:32 AM   #9
Pahoo

Quote:
That's why I would like to hear more feedback from other folks who may try small pistol primers with rifles, so that others can also benefit.
arcticap
Must admit that I have never tried small pistol primers but have used tubing, over my caps. I don't do any reloading so will have to get some from one of my friends. Will check them out and get back to you ….

Be Safe !!!
Old December 16, 2018, 12:30 PM   #10
Jim Watson

I understand cheap, but it seems like a lot of manipulation.
Can you not cap a cylinder with primers in tubing in the frame channel like you would real caps?