The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2019, 11:14 AM   #1
rageous

9mm Help With my Dillon XL650

What would cause this scratching on my casings, this is most annoying. Dillon Dies and XL650. I have removed and cleaned the die, my casings and die are all squeaky clean. What gives???
Thanks for your help with this issue.
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Casings 1 m.jpg (220.9 KB, 74 views)
Old January 17, 2019, 11:47 AM   #2
Don P

Try lubing the cases. Scratches on the cases indicate dirt in the die/dies. Do you tumble your brass before reloading?
After looking at your photo closer crimp looks awful at the case mouth. Are your dies adjusted correctly?
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 17, 2019, 01:03 PM   #3
kmw1954

Yes those are tooling marks from the dies. Dirty or damaged.
Old January 17, 2019, 02:28 PM   #4
rageous

Don P see attachment I doubt you could get my brass much cleaner as I stated in my lead post "Squeaky Clean" brass and Die.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bucket O Brass .2.jpg (192.5 KB, 52 views)
Old January 17, 2019, 03:21 PM   #5
egd

You said it yourself--squeaky clean. IMO, they are too clean,er dry; both cases and die probably. Try a little lube--little, don't need much. After running a few with lube the die will get a little rubbed into it and I'll bet you'll see a big difference.
Old January 17, 2019, 03:27 PM   #6
rageous

egd
I lube with Dillon lube as instructed and sometimes use Hornady One Shot, same results. Just weird...
Old January 17, 2019, 04:46 PM   #7
gwpercle

Carbide dies work so much better , easier and without the galling when you hit them with a little spray lube.
Take some Lee Case Lube, dissolve in denatured alcohol , put in a spray bottle ...mist the cases and roll them around , in 60 seconds they are dry and the wax based lube does wonders .
Gary
Old January 17, 2019, 05:23 PM   #8
kmw1954

Do the marks go all the way around or just part way? I do not know anything about Dillon Presses but could it be that your press is out of time with the shell plate and dies?
Old January 17, 2019, 07:26 PM   #9
ed308

My Dillon 650 and Dillon dies don't leave marks like that. Try running some new brass through the press with and without lube and see what results you get. Got be the dies.

Last edited by ed308; January 17, 2019 at 09:59 PM.
Old January 17, 2019, 07:26 PM   #10
LE-28

That looks like his resizing die is fouled out. It picked up brass and is scratching everything that goes in it.

I don't know anything about Dillon dies either but those scratches are from the resizing die picking up on the cases. Gauling.
That does come from lack of lubrication in steel dies and carbide dies both.

If your dies are carbide and you are cleaning with wet tumbling and steel pins you definitely need to lube your cases before running them through any kind of resizing dies. There is such a thing as getting them to clean.

Carbide dies will foul out and gauld also. Try cleaning your resizing die with copper cleaner like you would with a rifle barrel. Clean it completely then get some spray lube and spray your cases with it.

By the way, your crimps are way over done. Your bullet seating or crimp die is set too low.
Old January 17, 2019, 07:50 PM   #11
jag2

Get piece of 0000 steel wool that you can jam in the die, wrap around a screw driver bit for power drill. You are basically reaming out the die with the steel wool. Use a big enough piece so that it is tight in the die. You’ll have to figure out the details with whatever you have but it should work. It would also be good to apply some sort cleaner like CLR.
Old January 17, 2019, 10:19 PM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

Rageous,

It looks to me like you have a couple of issues. First, if you have a standard SAAMI 9mm throat, the bearing surface of the bullet (the cylindrical part) can only stick out about 0.043" from the case mouth before it starts to contact the throat, and yours appear to be about 3 times that far out of the case, so I would expect them to fail to let the gun close on them.

Many folks are aware of the SAAMI maximum cartridge length, often the only number published in a manual, but not of the minimum cartridge length. For 9mm the range is 1.000 "to 1.169". In Hornady's manual, for example, the 115-grain XTP and HAP bullets are seated to 1.075". The bullet maker can almost always tell you what your bullet should have as a COL.

Second, the crimps look like you jammed the case mouth past the crimp shoulder in the crimping die. You could be jamming the case mouth so hard that the case is expanding into the sides of the sizing die and scratching against it. I don't have any 9mm Dillon dies, so I can't see if it is narrow enough to let that happen or not. The cause may still be at the sizing die, but the crimp has to be fixed or it can be dangerous (see below).

The first thing to do is to see for certain at which station the case picks up the scuff marks. Look at it after sizing to see if the marks are already there. If so, call Dillon, as the die needs to be polished or replaced. I would let them do it if you haven't tried anything like that before. Take advantage of the lifetime warranty. Next, I would reset your seating die to produce the correct COL for your particular bullet. Lastly, you need to back the crimp out until it just closes the flare put on the case by the power drop tube in the Dillon, and not much more. Calipers across the mouth of the case must show it to measure between 0.373" and 0.3800" in diameter. If you crush it down smaller than that, you can fail to headspace on the end of the chamber and the case can slip inside the throat and cause excess pressure because there is no room for it to open up to release the bullet.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle