The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 9, 2007, 01:51 PM   #1
Syntax360

Best Price on a Evo-9? Is it Really Worth the Extra $$?

I've been quoted $745 for an Advanced Armament Evolution-9 suppressor - should $50 under list be considered a good price?

I gather from my (somewhat limited) research that the AAC cans are regarded as top notch - is there any noteworthy difference between this make/model suppressor and any of the competition's offerings that would justify the $100-200 greater cost?

Thanks for your input!
Old February 9, 2007, 04:17 PM   #2
VUPDblue

AAC knows the business and they turn out a very dependable and quality product. I own their suppressors along with other manufacturers. That being said, I think that you can find quality suppressors from other manufacturers for less money and still be completely satisfied with them. I personally prefer Gemtech products over AAC, but it is basically a customer-service issue. I have been 'rubbed the wrong way' by AAC more than once, but Gemtech's service has always been top-notch. BTW, $745 is not a terrible price for an Evo 9. If I were buying another 9mm can though, I would take a serious look at the Gemtech Trinity suppressor mostly because of it's versatility in mounting. For about $200 less than the AAC, I don't see how you could go wrong.
Old February 9, 2007, 04:57 PM   #3
Legion2600

I picked up one two weeks ago (27 day turn around!) Unfortunately I haven't heard it yet because I don't have a host. Can't figure out what to get. Want to be able to use factory sights but also the option of a rail. I was leaning towards a USP or P99.

Now about price I got mine for 700.00 My SOT said he gets very good deals when he buys several at a time and passes on the savings to his customers. I'd look around. It is a very nice looking can. Comes with nylon pouch and device that you can attach it to a fixed barrel weapon if need be. I've heard nothing but good about them. Check out their review over at
www.silencertests.com

Syntax -- PM sent
Old February 9, 2007, 06:12 PM   #4
Syntax360

The Gemtech is actually the current runner up on my list. My only concern is cycling issues and AAC sure makes their product sound like the cat's meow when it comes to the cycling department. Unfortunately, there aren't very many people who have suppressed the gun I'm working with, so there's not a lot a people I can go to for experience/data.
Old February 9, 2007, 09:45 PM   #5
VUPDblue

If you are trying to suppress a Browning-type action, then you would have to get a L.I.D. of some type. The AAC has one built-in while the Gemtech requires an adapter. I might be inclined to go with AAC myself, if I was not able to test both designs on my firearm first.
Old February 10, 2007, 12:45 AM   #6
Syntax360

This is for a Steyr M9A1.
Old February 10, 2007, 07:36 AM   #7
JMC

Quote:
I've been quoted $745 for an Advanced Armament Evolution-9 suppressor - should $50 under list be considered a good price?
$50 under list is better than nothing.
I inquired about a Evo-9 earlier this week at my Class III dealer. He quoted me "about $800" and didn't have one in stock.
Old February 10, 2007, 02:15 PM   #8
Syntax360

Legion2600 - your guy is a joy to work with! RCS Guns can do it for $700 OTD (plus the $200 tax stamp, of course), which is the best price I've found yet. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old February 10, 2007, 03:52 PM   #9
Legion2600

No problem! We're lucky to have found a "good" guy in our area. Don't mind sending him all the business he wants.

Edit to add: Does he have the metric thread pitch you need? I say this because I thought he said he only had 1/2 x 28.
Old February 10, 2007, 05:43 PM   #10
Syntax360

He's going to order the unit from AAC. When I mentioned I needed 13.5x1 LH he suspected I had a USP9SD, or was building one and even had a threaded barrel available for the H&K. That part is not a problem.
Old February 10, 2007, 06:47 PM   #11
Legion2600

You know I forgot that you can get different thread inserts for that thing from AAC. Dunno how much they cost though. I'll take the can apart tonight and post pics of the A.S.A.P. (LID) when I dig out my digital camera. Really easy to do and the can comes with the little tool to do it.

BTW: You ever check out these guys? http://www.steyrclub.com
Old February 10, 2007, 08:03 PM   #12
Syntax360

Of course I have - I'm a pretty active member over there (same username). Here's a thread I posted over there with my beauty. I was unable to find your username on that board?

The Polite Society Inc. sells extra AAC pistols for $75. Your pet project should be to suppress your S - I've never heard of that being done.
Old February 10, 2007, 10:53 PM   #13
Legion2600

Wow nice pics .. I like the A1's alot better with the real rail. Im gonna have to go through the site again and look around closer. In fact I'l probably get on of those Blade-Tech's soon. Is it possible to get the barrel from IGBaustria? Looked at the site but couldn't really tell & not sure about barrel length.
Old February 10, 2007, 11:12 PM   #14
Syntax360

If you are going for the S, I would assume that would be your only option. Maybe a custom job from somewhere else? Steyr's factory threaded barrel is for the M and M-A1 only.

With CDNN selling the A1's at $345 (forecasted to drop to $299 in a few months), there really has never been a better time to pick one up. I really like the Blade-Tech - so much that I just ordered a couple more for my Sig's.
Old February 10, 2007, 11:28 PM   #15
Legion2600

I'll have to watch over at CDNN. Looking at your's with the light Looks cool enough but with that AND a suppressor with the M's grip angle -- forget about it.
Old February 11, 2007, 01:00 PM   #16
Syntax360

That was basically what I was thinking - it's a really cool platform that no one seems eager to work with. I'm considering getting a CCF Vortex flash suppressor to make the pistol Marvin the Martian's ultimate blaster and the height of "tacticool", but $148 seems awful steep just to make the gun "look cooler".

Though CCF does claim a slight increase in velocity - if that were true, it would be interesting to chronograph some Ranger RA9TA 127gr. +P+. I suspect the 9mm would be creeping even deeper into .357SIG territory. Just an idea.
Old March 11, 2007, 10:14 AM   #17
RaiseHal

I'm very happy with my Sig 226 Tactical and AAC Evolution-9. You may want to check out Silencertests. com for a ton of info on suppressors.
Old April 8, 2007, 02:06 PM   #18

I got the Evolution 9 and now I have buyers remorse as I could have paid less.
Quote:
From: "Donald Ray Cresswell's WorldwideFirearms.com" <[email protected]>
To: ______
Subject: RE: evolution 9 price quote
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 14:19:39 -0500

Hi Don,

Thanks for the inquiry. I can get you a AAC Evo-9 for $665. If you are in Mississippi I can help you with the transfer (add $200 for the transfer tax if an individual). If you live in a state other than Mississippi, I can ship to your local class 3 dealer for $15.

This price is based on prepayment prior to me ordering the AAC Evo-9. I order from AAC on a regular basis and usually there is not a long wait to get one of these.

Please let me know if you have other questions, or if I can help in any
way.

Thanks,
Don

[email protected]
601-966-9048
www.worldwidefirearms.com
Old April 9, 2007, 08:09 AM   #19
Syntax360

How much did you spend, 226? I'm not sweating it - after shipping and the likely transfer fee I would pay from buying from those guys, I suspect I still came out ahead.

It took several weeks for my dealer to get the can, but it is here in TX now and the gears are turning...
Old May 19, 2007, 03:12 PM   #20
douglasschuckert

GEM-Tech verses AAC...

AAC makes some of the absolute BEST suppressors on this planet... with that said, Kevin is currently trying very hard to fill a LOT of military orders (so is Gem-Tech). If you send an email to AAC, Kevin himself usually returns your mail. He is rather short winded and not very patient (especially with complete newbies), but all in all he's a good guy.

My personal dealings with AAC have been both good and bad. I've always gotten answered what I needed answered, and I've NEVER been dealt wrong, but they have rubbed me in a way that agitated me. I perceived a couple of phone calls with them as them being..... not rude... but not real polite... But they do stand by their products, and most of the time to a fault. I've seen them replace items that should not have been replaced. I personally own a couple of items from them, and have been nothing BUT HAPPY!!! Good company, ok service, and EXECELENT-OUTSTANDING-FANTASTIC products!.

GEM-Tech... They make fantastic stuff, they're quick to get back with you (generally), when you call them, they take the time to answer your questions to your satisfaction, and they will not bull [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] you.

I've shot their Outback and Vortex-II cans side by side to my AAC Pilot, and to be honest their cans sounded quieter than AAC's (granted I have excellent pitch hearing... most can not hear the difference between them, but I can).

I have shot their Trinity next to the Evo-9 as well. Almost NO difference in sound. If you want a quality name, then get AAC's Evo. If you want a no-frills and reasonably priced can.. get the Trinity. The main difference between the two besides aesthetics is the Evo-9 has a reservoir that will hold a little bit of water (to shoot it wet) while the can is holstered and will maintain the water for about 10 to 12 shots. Where as the trinity will not hold the water in the can if you holster the weapon. (this is the reason that my old military unit(s) used the Evo-9s on their pistols, and the Trinity on the MP5’s). A 'wet' 9mm can, will almost completely diminish the ol' first-round-pop.

For all intents and purposes.... civilian usage... it comes down to what you want. Both manufacturers offer an OUTSTANDING product and both stand behind their work... to a fault. Both of their cans sound almost identical when compared next to each other (the untrained ear will not hear a difference), and both look stupid-cool on the end of a weapon! (unlike Knight's Armament... crap construction AND sound reduction, crap service, and UGLY appearances).

What is your budget? Its the classic argument of who makes better jeans? Levi's or Wrangler? THEY'RE THE EXACT SAME PRODUCT except you'll pay more for the Levi name. Same thing between AAC and Gem-T. Personally Im going to purchase a lot more Gem-T's products as they're cheaper and I dont give a rats-ass about promoting a brand. :-) (also Gem-T has been around a little longer than AAC has... they just have not spent as much on a marketing campaign as AAC has).
Old June 7, 2007, 01:58 PM   #21
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

A friend showing a G17 with Evo9. That particular can has had probably 500-700 rounds through it, zero malfunctions thus far.
Old June 7, 2007, 06:56 PM   #22
Syntax360

I went the AAC route and I am quite pleased. See my thread here for pictures and video.
Old June 7, 2007, 07:53 PM   #23
PAR

Syntax,

Good choice, did you try firing it wet? I have one on the way, once my F4 clears.
Old June 7, 2007, 09:45 PM   #24
Syntax360

Ya - the very first shot and quite a few afterwards. I must have had the perfect amount of water in it that first time, because it was crazy quiet. I haven't been able to recreate it since, but I haven't gotten as much range time as I would have liked. You won't be disappointed.
Old June 7, 2007, 09:47 PM   #25
VUPDblue

Try using a bit of the Ideal water based wire-pulling lube like you get at the local Lowe's. It is good stuff and lasts longer in the can than water. I use it in my Phantom9 and I get some really quiet results.