The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 29, 2013, 11:27 PM   #26
bbqbob51

Holy Sheepschitz! I would hate to have to go through that crap in order to buy a gun. That being said, I don't know why you are against Rugers, they built like tanks so they will probably outlast you even at your young age.
I also wouldn't worry about locks and stuff, I have a Smith and Wesson 686+ with a 4" barrel and I love it. I don't even think about the lock. There are Ruger Guys and Smith and Wesson guys, I happen to own both.
Old January 30, 2013, 01:12 AM   #27
TheDoubleDeuce

Another thing to consider if/when you move, if it is to pursue your hobbies, is the availability of public land. At a young age most people can't buy private land to build a personal gun range. I am here in Texas thanks to Uncle Sam, and there is very little public land to go shoot. For that reason I have to drive 30 minutes every weekend and pay the range to punch paper.

That said, if you do shoot on public land, PLEASE do it SAFELY and pick up your mess.
Old January 30, 2013, 10:23 AM   #28
RUT

>>That being said, I don't know why you are against Rugers, they built like tanks<<

Well, years ago I felt the same way, mainly due to ignorance. Once I discovered just how nice they were they soon became my revolver of choice.
Old January 30, 2013, 02:54 PM   #29
tomrkba

MTAR,

Go take NRA Basic Pistol before you buy anything. The trainers will have a variety of guns available for you to try.

If you have to, go to Pennsylvania to do it.
Old January 30, 2013, 05:29 PM   #30
MTAR

How can I find out about that pistol training? I remember hearing that you need to go out side of N.Y.to take it....Lol
Old January 30, 2013, 07:16 PM   #31
testuser

Getting back to revolvers, if I could only own one it would either be a 686 plus, 7 shot or a Model 627 8 shot Performance Center. I'd pick the one that had the appropriate trigger reach for my hands.

I wouldn't worry about the lock. If it bothers you, then you could remove it. (check out youtube for the video) I think I've also seen some people on selling plugs to cover the hole, but don't quote me.

Either way, new Rugers have a built in trigger lock, too. You just can't see it, because it's hidden by the grips. The owner is suppose to drill into the grip to expose the lock.
Old January 30, 2013, 07:21 PM   #32
bedbugbilly

To the OP . . . the best of luck to you.

My wife and I lived in New York State for six months back in the early 70's while she did an internship to finish up her Masters. I can safely say, that for myself at least, I was never happier than the day we moved out of the state and back to the midwest.

I've been shooting for 50 + years and I am a firm believer in getting as much training as a person can - nobody is too old t learn something. As responsible gun owners/shooters, we all feel the hurt when violence occurs in our schools and public places . . . but taking away a law abiding citizen's rights and trampling on the Constitution is not the way to solve those things. Criminals and those with mental issues will always find a way if they mean to do harm to another. We all need to make our voices heard and put a stop to all of the nonsense that occurs in Washington with those who have an "agenda" . . . because it will not end with what their current proposals are. Somewhere, we have lost the "family unit", morals, the difference between right and wrong and people taking responsibility for their own actions . . . and if you are looking for what I'm talking about . . . look at our politicians.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 30, 2013, 07:23 PM   #33
jackpine

sometimes we are the creators of our own suck on a massive scale.
Old January 31, 2013, 10:46 PM   #34
DMMikey

Where are you in NY? I know things vary a great deal from county to county, but it really sounds like you are overstating the expense. Who did you speak to? There is no state law that requires a course, again, that is a county requirement. (in Monroe Cty, I didn't need one) Three references are pretty standard. A background check by the local police force, and 3 sets of fingerprints. I think the total fees I paid about 10 years ago was about $100, the biggest chunk of that the fingerprint fees.
If you want a revolver, fine.
Someone mentioned an 8 shot revolver, there has not been a clear answer given on the legality of actually putting 8 rounds in one. I have emails into both my state assemblyman and senator, both cannot answer and are actively looking for answers for me. No one has one.
There are some pretty nice semiautos with 7 round capacity. Kahr, Beretta Nano, S&W Shield. That part of the law does pretty much, uh, well you get the idea, but the choices aren't completely gone.
I haven't found any part of the new law that limits possession of magazines to two. Where are you getting that from?
I think the restrictions are a joke, but I also think you are convincing yourself the situation is worse than it really is.

Last edited by DMMikey; January 31, 2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:28 PM   #35
A Castle

I Love New York

I've lived in NY my entire life. Recently if you haven't heard our governor decided he could make us safer by tweaking our 2nd amendment rights! Thanks but no thanks Governor I was fine with the way things were long before you showed up! My advice to you young man get that pistol permit no matter how tough it seems exercise your right to bear arms!! FYI if they ever give the United States an emema they'll insert the nozzle in Albany New York!!!!!
Old February 4, 2013, 01:56 PM   #36
9ballbilly

I lived in upstate NY most of my life. Got my pistol permit when I was nineteen. That was in Rensselaer county, which is still one of the easier counties to get approved in I think. I've heard horror stories about Albany and Saratoga Counties. My original permit was marked " hunting and target only". After a couple years I applied for and received an "unrestricted" permit. I remember one of the ridiculous laws from that time was that I couldn't buy a handgun from an FFL dealer because I wasn't 21, but it was perfectly legal for me to buy from a private citizen. Doesn't get much more senseless than that. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck! As for myself, we moved to sunny Florida and never looked back.
Old February 5, 2013, 03:06 PM   #37
44 AMP
Staff

FYI

Quote:
I remember one of the ridiculous laws from that time was that I couldn't buy a handgun from an FFL dealer because I wasn't 21, but it was perfectly legal for me to buy from a private citizen.
The age requirement (21) comes from Federal Law. IT applies only to FFL dealers, and became the law in 1968.

Being able to buy (at any age) from a private individual is a matter of individual state law. In general, NY laws are as strict, or stricter than Federal law.
Old February 5, 2013, 03:29 PM   #38
boa2

testuser;

The Ruger lock that you are speaking of is only on their single action revolvers and on their LCR revolvers-but, their double action GP100 and SP101 revolvers do not have the lock!
Old February 6, 2013, 01:16 AM   #39
robctwo

My family was in upstate NY back in the 17 and early 1800s. They had lots of guns. They moved out West, just NW of Chicago. Later great granddad brought the family to Oregon. It's pretty nice out here. Mandatory issue of concealed carry permits, nice gun clubs, a bit of open ground with critters.

If I were going to get a first revolver I'd get a nice used model 15, 4" .38 Special with adjustable sights.

15-2 I bought from NC on Gun Broker

This has the magnas

15-3 from GB as well

I like the Ahrends retro combat grips for range work.
Old February 6, 2013, 02:19 PM   #40
tomrkba

Quote:
Someone mentioned an 8 shot revolver, there has not been a clear answer given on the legality of actually putting 8 rounds in one
The law applies to semi-automatic pistols. It does not apply to revolvers unless a rotating, manually driven action that rotates a cylinder has been classified as "semi-automatic" by the New York legislature.

Regarding training:

Start here: http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

Go with NRA Basic Pistol because it's mostly a safety class with some shooting. Talk to the instructors about other NRA courses and non-NRA defensive handgun courses.
Old February 6, 2013, 02:24 PM   #41
tomrkba

Quote:
The Ruger lock that you are speaking of is only on their single action revolvers and on their LCR revolvers-but, their double action GP100 and SP101 revolvers do not have the lock!
I always wondered about that. I looked on my GP100 and couldn't find it, but people continue to insist there is a lock there.
Old February 6, 2013, 09:03 PM   #42
stu925

File the paperwork for the permit and don't make a decision of a handgun for a while. Shop around & figure out what you want so when the permit is approved you can go get it. Don't worry about the SAFE law, it's days are numbered, hopefully it will be repealed, if not the courts will take care of it. I would definitely not write off the S&Ws or Rugers both companies make great guns. Pre lock S&Ws are no where near as expensive as the Colt Snake guns so finding one in your price range shouldn't be an issue, you've got plenty of time to find one.

Stu
Old February 7, 2013, 06:08 AM   #43
MRL21

Never realized it was that bad. Thankful I am born and bred AZ.

I say leave NY to the people that want the government to tell them how to wipe there butt. I agree moving is harder the longer you wait.

The only reason to have a Permit in AZ is so you skip the less than fifteen minute 4473 process before leaving gun in hand. I don't mind the 4473 or the extra few minutes.

As for pistol eh get what you want. Nothing wrong with Smith, Colt or Ruger. It's your money and your baby. Don't settle just because you have to save longer. I learned that growing up when I got a mini 14 instead of an AR15 because I could afford to get it now rather than saving longer for what I really wanted.
Old February 7, 2013, 06:16 AM   #44
9ballbilly

44 AMP, thanks for the clarification. I'm not an expert on gun laws and it didn't occur to me back then that it was a discrepancy between state and federal law. I was much too happy just having my permit approved at the age of nineteen. Good luck again to the OP!
Old February 8, 2013, 01:53 AM   #45
DMMikey

No, there still has not been a clarification as to 8 round revolvers. The law does not say semi automatic. It merely defines the rule thus: 23. "Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt,
drum, feed strip, or similar device, [manufactured after September thir-
teenth, nineteen hundred ninety-four,] that (A) has a capacity of, or
that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten
rounds of ammunition, OR (B) CONTAINS MORE THAN SEVEN ROUNDS OF AMMUNI
TION, OR (C) IS OBTAINED AFTER THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THE CHAPTER OF THE
LAWS OF TWO THOUSAND THIRTEEN WHICH AMENDED THIS SUBDIVISION AND HAS A
CAPACITY OF, OR THAT CAN BE READILY RESTORED OR CONVERTED TO ACCEPT,
MORE THAN SEVEN ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION; provided, however, that such term
does not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and
capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition OR A
FEEDING DEVICE THAT IS A CURIO OR RELIC.
There is no mention of type of weapon.
I did not mention this casually, again, neither my state senator nor assemblyman had an answer to this question.
It's not easy to comment on a law until you have read it yourself.
Additionally, there needs to be a clarification on whether 7 in the mag and one in the pipe is legal. This issue, again, was actually raised by my assembly person, and no one could or would give him an answer.
Old February 8, 2013, 05:30 AM   #46
Corey Jacobs

Move kiddo!
Old February 8, 2013, 10:07 AM   #47
stephen426

I hate New York in general. I would move out as soon as possible and go some place that doesn't restrict my rights so much or tax so much. I can't understand why anyone would pay the rents in NYC or live in that insanity. Florida has no state income tax and the gun laws here make a whole lot of sense.
Old February 8, 2013, 10:20 AM   #48
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to The Firing Line, MTAR, and good luck in your search!

Veteran TFLers, all this noise about moving out of NY doesn't help MTAR in getting his questions answered.
Old February 9, 2013, 01:44 AM   #49
shaunpain

As many other posters have chimed in, DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED!!! I live in Chicago, not the pillar of gun rights, and I can't own everything I want but I do just fine with what I can. There are many ways to purchase what you want through private sales (is a permit required for private transfers in NY?) and by knowing all the ins and outs of NY gun law. While there are some great experiences posted for you to read, you should also consult the source of your queries, New York's published gun laws. These will probably be online. Read them in entirety. This is a natural part of your research phase into gun owning. Concealed carry can come at a later time. Get your butt on a range with a rented gun (semi or wheel, doesn't matter) and use everything you've read in real life. I would never recommend owning a gun before first having fired a few because you will have NO IDEA what you're getting yourself into. We can all tell you to get a .357 magnum, but I can tell you in my experience that although I own one myself, it is somewhat unpleasant to shoot anything but .38s out of it. I am not extremely recoil sensitive and love my .30 caliber rifles and 12 gauge shotguns, but I'm just not keen on what feels like a grenade going off in my hand and gas blowback. This is not everyone's experience with .357s, but wholly mine.

I didn't come from a gun owning family and pursued the hobby on my own time. I was very nervous at first, because I believed the hype surrounding gun control in Chicago without ever really reading the law. I did my research, shot a few rented guns, and a few years later bought my first .40 caliber Beretta (a fine gun). It was a double stack (I exclusively own and shoot single stack with it comes to semis) and I would never purchase a double stacked pistol again (perfect in a high capacity ban area). I can't stress enough; Don't buy blind. Do your homework.
Old February 9, 2013, 07:46 AM   #50
PatientWolf

+1 for Seven's response.