The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 20, 2016, 06:10 AM   #1
mpk1970

I've narrowed my 9mm selection down to 2 brands...Need Help!!

So after about 2 weeks of research and weeding out the pretenders from the contenders I've brought my list down to 2 9mm guns I'm looking to buy

I did not select any of the the Glocks because everybody has them

1. Walther PPQ M2- Navy (with threaded barrel)

2. CZ P09

These are the final two guns that I've narrowed down my selection to

I've found getting to this point was relatively difficult but easy at the same time...I didn't want glocks, didn't want to pay Sig prices, and the HK VP9 fell short as I read more.

Guys, which gun do I buy? Am I simply splitting hairs?

OR

Is there a clear winner? I'm relatively new so need some help/advice.

Thank you
Old May 20, 2016, 06:20 AM   #2
Skans

Personally, I like the P09 better because its DA/SA - I just really prefer this type of action over the Glock-type action. I also like the slightly larger capacity of the P09.

Here's a nice looking CZ P09 with a threaded barrel: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/559808884
Old May 20, 2016, 07:32 AM   #3
g.willikers

Before you buy either one, check out the Ruger SR.
You won't be disappointed, either by the gun or the prices.
Old May 20, 2016, 07:37 AM   #4
redlightrich

Both very nice guns. My personal pick would be the Walther. I came very close to getting the PPQ, and wound up with the VP9. That decision still nags me. Go with your gut feelings. They are never wrong.

Either way you will be happy. I think support, parts and aftermarket support will be greater for the Walther.

Good luck and enjoy the process

Rich
Old May 20, 2016, 07:48 AM   #5
Fishbed77

Quote:
Guys, which gun do I buy? Am I simply splitting hairs?
You are not splitting hairs. You need to decide if you want a constant-action trigger system (PPQ) or DA/SA trigger system (CZ P07).

If you don't know what this means, you need to do more research.
Old May 20, 2016, 08:39 AM   #6
mpk1970

Skans that's a nice looking gun

Fishbed- you are right I don't know a great deal about each trigger, but shouldn't there be a history of which is better? Not only for shooting but reliability??
Old May 20, 2016, 08:48 AM   #7
Bamashooter

For a striker fired gun the PPQ is nice. I like them both. Either one would be a good choice.
Old May 20, 2016, 08:51 AM   #8
cmdc

Reliability is really a wash. It still comes down to which system you prefer.
Old May 20, 2016, 08:51 AM   #9
TunnelRat

Quote:
you are right I don't know a great deal about each trigger, but shouldn't there be a history of which is better? Not only for shooting but reliability??
There are reliable pistols using both hammers and strikers to detonate primers. As for trigger mechanisms, there are arguments both for and against DA/SA and more of a "safe-action" type constant pull weight. What you're going to get are opinions about which is "better". That's fine and each perspective adds something, I'd just argue that there is no true hard and fast rule here. You'll likely figure out which you like better over time. Renting a pistol of each type can help.
Maintain situational awareness
Old May 20, 2016, 08:52 AM   #10
Tactical Jackalope

PPQ!
Old May 20, 2016, 09:04 AM   #11
mrdaputer

Is there a place where you can rent them both? The one that feels the best and shoots the best is the one you take home. I have the PPQ and love it!
Old May 20, 2016, 09:08 AM   #12
Skans

Quote:
Skans that's a nice looking gun
Yes it is....I might be talking myself into one of these.
Old May 20, 2016, 09:40 AM   #13
Adizzle19

I'd go with the ppq. I prefer one consistent trigger pull, but then again your preference may vary. Just out of curiosity, is there any reason you want the threaded barrel? I would skip it unless I also planned on suppressing it at some point.

A note about Glocks: yes everyone has them. That's exactly why I bought mine. Parts and accessories are readily available and cheap. It's downright reliable and simple enough mechanically that you can perform the vast majority of maintenance yourself. If I didn't have a 9mm Glock, I would get one of those before any other pistol.
Old May 20, 2016, 09:58 AM   #14
TBT

P-07/P-09...

Very accurate and reliable. Very easy to shoot well. If DA/SA is the choice I would put these offerings up against any SIG or HK out there.

The main thing you are deciding on here, as has been said, is the trigger. I came from 1911 and striker fired guns. It took a little time and practice but the first DA pull isn't that big of a deal and the "dreaded transition" between the DA and SA stroke was completely irrelevant. But it does add training time to get used to that trigger. That may or may not be something you are interested in doing.

What I will also bring up is the P-07/P-09 Omega guns do in fact offer you the ability to switch between decocker and safety (cocked and locked) but beware, if you have smaller hands/shorter thumbs the safety positioning on these guns is not going to lend itself to ease of use in a defensive situation. Being that I have small-to-medium hands the decocker is the only option for me.

I can't speak to the PPQ but I've heard good things. If that type of trigger is something you are interested in I'm sure the PPQ is a fantastic choice as well.
Old May 20, 2016, 10:02 AM   #15
mpk1970

Great responses by everybody.

Looks like its about even as far as the quality of both CZ PO9 and PPQ M2

The only reason why I was going to buy the threaded barrell was because thats the only one my local shop had in stock.

Glad there are so many knowledgeable guys on this forum as it looks like the main difference between these 2 guns comes down to simply the TRIGGER

da/sa vs. constant action
Old May 20, 2016, 10:05 AM   #16
Skans

Quote:
looks like the main difference between these 2 guns comes down to simply the TRIGGER
The trigger is a huge difference to me. I started buying semi-autos when DA/SA was all the rage. So, I'm very biased toward them.
Old May 20, 2016, 10:32 AM   #17
TunnelRat

Quote:
The trigger is a huge difference to me.
It's certainly possible to shoot either well (and I know you know that Skans) but I have to agree with you that there is a big difference.

To the OP ff you can try even an example of each trigger type (doesn't necessarily have to be those two pistols) beforehand it gives you a lot of insight.
Maintain situational awareness
Old May 20, 2016, 10:34 AM   #18
Worc

Size wise the CZ P-07 compares better to the PPQ than the P-09.

Both are very good models and you can't really go wrong either way.

I've always preferred DA/SA to the striker action. That was until I got a PPQ M1 for myself. It's changed my mind towards striker fired model and I like them equally to DA/SA. I do prefer to CC a DA/SA for the most part but have done it with my striker models.

I like the ergonomics of the Walther much better for my hand/s than any CZ. The CZ's are not bad at all, just not the best for me. You may find the opposite is true for you though. The PPQ M2 is a little more ambidextrous with a slide lock/release on both sides of the gun. That may or may not be important to you.
Old May 20, 2016, 12:30 PM   #19
Skans

Ok, I think the consensus is.......Buy Both and be doubly happy!
Old May 20, 2016, 01:01 PM   #20
MarkCO

CZP09 is what I would choose for me. But whoever said go shoot them both then decide...DITTO.
Old May 20, 2016, 01:04 PM   #21
mpk1970

So true Skans

You guys have been a great help, I guess because I just joined I can't "quote" some of the things you guys have wrote

At the end, it seems as if no matter which way I go, I made a good choice so maybe buying both then see which I like better is the best way to go

Does the PPQ Navy model with threaded barrel change anything for you guys??

I'm a tall guy so have pretty big hands...I dont think either gun will be a problem for me to handle.
Old May 20, 2016, 01:24 PM   #22
sigarms228

It's always best to try both if at all possible and see if one works better for you. As mentioned two totally different trigger systems. Walther PPQ would be a better option for concealed carry size wise if that was ever a consideration though not sure of holster availability for the PPQ with a threaded barrel.

I have the Walther PPQ and just love it. I tried a P09 and it was a nice pistol but I already have a few DA/SA pistols I prefer more such a my SIG P226 and HK P30LS.

FYI new CZ comes with a five year warranty and Walther PPQ comes with lifetime warranty to original owner.

Not sure why Glocks "everyone has them" is a problem? Glocks make terrific pistols if they work well for one.
Old May 20, 2016, 01:24 PM   #23
Worc

Both have adjustable grips so they should fit most hand sizes. I wear L to XL gloves and I like the medium back strap in most guns.

I prefer the PPQ M1 the most because of the paddle magazine release. Noting wrong with the Navy's threaded/extended barrel if it does not bother YOU.
Old May 20, 2016, 03:10 PM   #24
Roland Thunder

I with the "constant trigger pull" crowd. I sold my Sig 226 for that reason and kept my PPQ M1
Old May 20, 2016, 03:15 PM   #25
Quentin2

Quote:
... I did not select any of the the Glocks because everybody has them...
I don't know if that's a wise reason to summarily dismiss them! When looking for a handgun I would include Glock, however that doesn't mean you have to choose one.