The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 17, 2018, 05:22 PM   #1
Joe_Pike

Tripp Research Super 7 Upgrade Question

I'm sure this is an ignorant question, but are the springs in the Tripp Research 1911 Super 7 Upgrade kit directional? I'm changing out the springs and followers on three Wilson 47D magazines and both ends look pretty much the same to me. The Wilson springs are easy to tell which end is which.
Old October 19, 2018, 10:18 PM   #2
Joe_Pike

I emailed Tripp Research and they were very quick to respond with this in case anyone else had the same question.

"There is a front/back but not a top/bottom, either end can be put in as the top. Just make sure the raised portion is facing towards the front and you’re good to go. Sometimes after use I suggest for people to flip their springs. When a spring is being used it can stack on itself during compression in a way that binds it up. This happens during the first bit of usage on all springs. Lots of times you can make this binding effect go away from flipping the spring “top/bottom” so the forces during loading are applied “upside down” making it compress differently and not bind."
Old October 20, 2018, 09:30 AM   #3
KyJim

Thanks for letting us know. I don't have any upgrade kits but have considered buying a couple.