The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 19, 2018, 03:19 PM   #51
Dufus

Quote:
Have had to laugh, going on and the OP thought CA had grizzly bears.
Nowhere did the OP say she had grizzly bears. Suggest you read it again, slowly.
Old September 19, 2018, 05:22 PM   #52
Paul B.

"I'm not a fan of suggesting the 30-30 and it's probably because of the same example of the other guys. Both of my Winchester 94's kick like a mule because they're so light."

I'm curious. Are your M94's pre or post 64? The reason I ask is when Winchester went to the post 64, they changed the amount of drop to the stock. The brought about two things, one good and on IMO bad. The good was recoil did not seem to be so bad. My Great grandfather's M94 made in 1911 slaps the hell out of my cheek. My post 64 made in 1980 or 81 does not do this. The bad is when I snap the post 64 to my shoulder, the sights do not line up and i have move my head around to line up the sights. The 1911 gun would line the sights up and be on target almost instantly. I fixed the problem of the post 64 by putting a receiver sight on the gun and it works well enough with that.
Paul B.
Old September 19, 2018, 07:57 PM   #53
Blindstitch

Quote:
I'm curious. Are your M94's pre or post 64?
One is 1941-42 ish, the other 1971 and there's also a 32 winchester special in the safe from 1968. I also had a 69 Canadian commemorative. At lest I think it was 69.

The 71 and 68 were the worst but I didn't shot the others much with standard ammo. I have a load with 6.5-7 grains of I think green dot pushing a 150 grain led projectile. It's like shooting a 22. Fun for plinking at the range and introducing people to shooting.
Old September 19, 2018, 09:28 PM   #54
reynolds357

At-10 in .308 would fill your bill for fast follow up shots.
Old September 20, 2018, 05:52 AM   #55
Picher

Like a few others, I recommend getting a 7mm-08 in a fairly light, well-designed bolt-action with a Limbsaver or other good recoil pad and a 2-7x or 3-9x scope with good optics and generous eye-relief. The 6.5 Creedmore is also a pretty good choice and is the hottest new cartridge these days, but I would prefer the 7mm08.

I set my neighbor lady up with such a rig (Remington Mod. 7) and she absolutely loves it. Last year, she shot a huge buck with it, at about 100 yards. Even a Rem 700 ADL can be a really good hunting rifle, but I'm partial to the Tikka T3 Hunter, after seeing and handling one yesterday at Kittery (ME) Trading Post.
Old September 20, 2018, 07:45 AM   #56
stagpanther

I haven't used them, but I'm sure they would be effective and California compliant. https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...y-copper-load/

I'm not crazy about most of federal's hunting factory ammo--but the Winchester powerpoint in 30 30 is one of the best I've used in my 336--I like them so much I bought the bullets separately for reloads.
Old September 20, 2018, 09:45 AM   #57
reinert

After thanking TFL folks replying to her OP in advance, and stating her request for suggestions in a light, humorous fashion (grizzly from a half mile away, yeah, she knows...) I believe the first 4 responses were probably all she needed for a solution, and that's just my opinion. She also stated, if I read it right, that, "I'M TRYING OUT 308s AND 30-06s." I took that to mean that she already knows what a fair amount of recoil means on the shoulder. And she was open to caliber suggestions, so, maybe, that's why the 30-30 or a caliber from a fast handling lever gun should/might/could mean as a good suggestion. The 30-30 is plenty of black bear medicine at 50ish yards; I have no doubt about that at all.

She also stated in her OP that, "THE INTERNET IS MAKING MY BRAIN HURT." Yeah, just still might. After her only making 2 posts on this forum, I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't respond again, and I don't believe I'd blame her.

BTW, RRookie, check out the 30-30 in a lever gun. If you can shoot a .308 or an '06, you'll be OK with the 30-30 hunting a black bear, and that's nothing more than my opinion, too.
Old September 20, 2018, 10:49 AM   #58
stagpanther

More to the point on a 30 30 lever--if you're looking at a "quick to bear" inside of 50--and you better be quick--then you're probably just as well off with a good lever and well-tuned in to shoot with fixed irons--though you could slap on a red dot on a conventional rifle.
Old September 20, 2018, 03:19 PM   #59
Chainsaw.

Lets back up a sec here. How good of a shot are you under pressure, like when holding a rifle up to a bear? My neighbor flopped a black bear with a 22mag rifle, but he’s been hunting for now on 45 years. Also what other purpose might you have for said rifle?

If you need cheap, reasonable accurate for 50yards and enough to kill a black bear there isn’t much I would say you SHOULD’NT use. Maybe a Ruer American in 7.62x39? Cheap, decent shooters, cheap ammo and then he cartridge can take any North American game, if you can.
Old September 21, 2018, 09:45 AM   #60
Erno86

RifleRookie -

You can negate some recoil...by pushing forward on the rifle forearm stock with you're support hand, while having a slightly rearward pull with the firing hand.

It's best to teach you're subconscious that the firearm is not going to hurt you.

For fast follow-up shots...kinda like square up to the target (like a boxer's or football stance) while shooting offhand. An isosceles stance (weight on the balls of your feet, shoulders forward and one leg slightly quartering away).

--- George Orwell
Old September 21, 2018, 12:34 PM   #61
RC20

Dufus:

Quote:
I don't need to take out a 3000lb griz from a half-mile away.
Good point, I read it as taking a griz from close up on said property but I believe your interpretation is correct.

I apologize to the OP for my remarks.
Old September 21, 2018, 01:02 PM   #62
Dano4734

I still like the idea of a marlin 45-70 with the Remington load factory. Recoil is very mild but at closer ranges it will stop anything alive even a Bigfoot
Old September 21, 2018, 01:37 PM   #63
stagpanther

That's on my to-purchase list--another classic cartridge that can be loaded up and down.
Old September 21, 2018, 05:10 PM   #64
agtman

A .375H&H is good bear medicine, even when down-loaded to .30-06 velocities.
Old September 21, 2018, 07:10 PM   #65
Rifletom

Appears OP has left us. Well, let's hope she found what she wanted/needed.
Old September 21, 2018, 08:16 PM   #66
gw44

45/70 in a Marlin lever gun yes yes !!!
Old September 21, 2018, 10:06 PM   #67
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Looks to me as though she now has a veritable plethora of information.
Old October 6, 2018, 09:39 PM   #68
RifleRookie

Hey all!
Thank you all so very much! I appreciate all of your expertise. You intro'd possibilities that I had not previously considered and I'm looking forward to trying several of your suggestions. Still considering options/arguing with buddies that are WAY make-model dogmatic/etc.....I'll sum this up quickly:
1) NO. The OPr was NOT scared off. Life happened....post got neglected. Sorry.
2) There is no need for anyone who misinterpreted my "grizz" comment to apologize. If anything, I should thank YOU for the chuckles (personal fav = 'get a 22 and educate yourself')!

Your advice is very much appreciated and I thank you (and Art E.)

It would take me 10+ lifetimes to learn all that I want to learn.
Old October 7, 2018, 04:44 PM   #69
RC20

A rare balance of perspective.

I will apologize though, we should read posts carefully and not jump to a conclusion like I did. Duffus was right to point it out.

Quote:
A .375H&H is good bear medicine, even when down-loaded to .30-06 velocities.
I have yet to see medicine applied to a bear via a gun, but then I am still learning. I have seen them dart bears with special guns?

How about a 30-06 loaded to normal velocity good for killing bears (my step dads father took 6 or 7 grizzly with that round.

That said a black bear is not a real challenge for much of any round. 223 in Semi auto would do nicely.
Old October 8, 2018, 08:05 AM   #70
agtman

Quote:
I have yet to see medicine applied to a bear via a gun, but then I am still learning. I have seen them dart bears with special guns?
How about a 30-06 loaded to normal velocity good for killing bears (my step dads father took 6 or 7 grizzly with that round.
'Bear medicine' might well be a 30.06 loaded with premium 200gn or 220gn bullets. I love my old .375 BRNO 602, but the truth is, if I were going to be hanging out in 'black bear country' today for long periods of time, I'd have my 30-06 Mini-G with me loaded with an 8-rd clip (or, if actually hunting, a 5-rd clip) of said heavy-for-caliber medicine.

Running the Schuster adj. M1 gas plug, my '06 Mini is currently tuned for a handload topped with 200gn Speer Grand Slams at about 2450fps - the GSs being from an old stash I bought years ago. But it also shoots Hornady's 220gn RN slug acceptably well too (at about 2400+fps).

Black bears ain't that hard to kill, especially at the distances you're likely to shoot them.

If the 'bear' in question were of the species found in AK, I'd move up in caliber.
Old October 8, 2018, 10:29 AM   #71
Don Fischer

These type thing's have no right answer but rather a lot of answer's. Anything from say a 6.5 on up will work for what she need's. smaller the cal, less the recoil. Lighter the bullet, less the recoil. Now, haven't a clue about factory ammo but in 6.5 as light as I'd go is 120gr. 7mm is 140gr and 30 would be 150gr. Your probably gonna need a rifle unless you plan on throwing the bullet's. Check out the inexpensive kit rifle's, new rifle generally with a plastic stock and an inexpensive scope, normally a 3-9x. I think Ruger makes one, know Savage and Mossberg do. Only one I ever bought was the Mossberg Patriot and without a scope and plastic stock at the time it was $299. I don't recall the price with the scope. I think it does come in 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08 and 308, I'd suggest the 7mm-08 in it. Supposed to be fairly easy on recoil and should be easy to find in 140gr loads. 6.5 Creedmoor will probably be harder to find ammo for and 308 is easy to find ammo for but it will also increase recoil some. I have a 6.5x55, similar to the Creedmoor and recoil is not bad at all. Ammo is easy to find because I don't buy factory ammo, I reload every thing. In the past I had 7x57's which are close to the 7mm-08. Recoil is not bad at all. 308 Is a favorite of mine but in a bolt action recoil will go up a bit. How much you can take, no one here can tell you! Put's us back at the 6.5 Creedmoor! There are those that will suggest the 243. It would work but there are a lot better answer's! You could kill the bear with a 22 rim fire but there are lot better answer's. On the world record grizzly killed with the 22 long rifle, I read about it a while back and the shot in in position that suited her she shot it in a soft spot below the ear just a bit and it went right down. The story I read was not in self defense. The shot was carefully placed where she knew it would drop the bear. After the shot she went to it and fired several more shot's into it. I doubt many of us here have the cool to pull off something like that! Which ever story is correct, I don't know but, bears can be cleanly killed with pretty much anything is all your stars aline right! But there are better answer's and for me they start at 6.5 caliber.

I do not use premium bullet's on anything, not necessary but in your case it may be. I assume that solid bullet is the law every where in California. Use a solid copper bullet in that case. Be sure it is not a full metal jacket, that is not a solid copper bullet! Most importantly, before you try this, practice with the rifle you end up with and learn where to place your shot's. A black bear will likely be interested in avoiding you but who knows if it's wounded. Learn to shoot well and where to place your shots. Probably the best answer for you in your situation is to have someone that knows how to do this and has the rifle come in and do it for you. That guy would not be hard to find. Local sporting good's store could probably set you right up!