The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 11, 2012, 05:25 PM   #26
Ozzieman

No, just get a bigger safe

That didn’t work for me, I had to buy a second safe,
To answer the original question, the only time I get rid of a gun, any gun it’s to buy another.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:37 PM   #27
PT-92

Quote:
mrt949

Cleaning out the safe
Working on downsizing your collection . When you find a safe queen lurking in the back .Do you leave well enough alone or give it some life.
As you know your question will be interpreted subjectively as peoples emotions, loyalty and sometimes just plain stubbornness (guilty as charged in my case but proud of it) will vary across the board. I will not get rid of my guns unless am going to trade one (very rare) or pass it down as an heirloom (not too old quite yet). That said, I own today 90%+ of what I have amassed over twenty-five years. I will say one factor in that "perpetual ownership" of said gun is that unlike a few on my buddies, I never make "impulse" buys at gun shows or when I see an irresistible deal on the Net for a super price for something I just "don't need" and then have the proverbial "buyer's remorse." Don't get me wrong, as one fellow gun-nut to another, I feel the urge but like my girl tells me, it's OK to look at others just don't touch them and take them home with you .
Old October 11, 2012, 11:37 PM   #28
DaleA

Quote:
Mike Irwin:
"If you don't have anyone to pass the stuff down to then it's a lot easier to understand."

I'm in the same boat and no, I still don't understand the concept.

Father!
Old October 12, 2012, 06:33 AM   #29
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I mean what would the NRA do with a Kel-tec P11 or even a S&W model 10? Do they auction them off and use the proceeds where needed?"

I believe that that is the case, they sell the ones for which they have no use in the museum.

"Father!"

I told your mother not to name you Dale, but she didn't listen, so you're both out of the will!

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.