The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 27, 2018, 09:07 AM   #26
Ricklin

If it must be a .22

I'll take my little Walther bullpup, it's my favorite .22 rifle.

It's nice and compact, yet sports a 20 inch barrel. It is "only" 10 rounds, but packs and extra ten rounder in the stock for a quick and easy mag change.

Mine has been 100% reliable, and it's also accurate. I just can't recall the model # of it at this moment. I do enjoy it tho.
Old August 27, 2018, 10:18 PM   #27
Casualshooting1

Calico with 100 round magazine, full auto, and laser. I'm not a fan of lasers, but on this combo it would be right.
Old August 28, 2018, 08:36 AM   #28
Glenn E. Meyer

If we are serious, a Ruger 10/22 with a rail and a red dot sight might serve. Not that expensive to set up. Adding tons of crap as in AR land is silly.

As in all SD situations - have you practiced with the setup?
Old August 29, 2018, 09:41 AM   #29
KWMerican

[Here's a typical effect]
Very tough to support factually.

Perhaps I should have used the word "penetration" instead of "effect". Please re-readT. O'Heir's comment and then mine to put into context, especially regarding a .22 LR "shattering" upon impact.

The significant fact is that the smaller .22 caliber to .32 caliber experienced a 50% higher failure to stop rate.

The topic is rifles, not pistols. You are spot on regarding pistols, but rifles are a completely different animal.

Most seasoned homicide detectives will affirm that a 40 grain solid point .22 LR FIRED FROM A RIFLE into the thoracic region usually incapacitates fairly quickly. Inversely, a .22 LR hollow point projectile performs quite poorly.

All that said, I'm not a proponent of using a .22 rifle for self defense if other options are available.
Old August 29, 2018, 11:52 AM   #30
TheGunGeek

I would assume this would be one's "1" rifle, and serve both home defense and outdoor target needs. There's nothing wrong with that if it's what you only have.

I would take my 10/22 Target model in stainless, and make the following modifications:
1) Add a 1X scope with a QD mount, which would allow easy swapping with
the regular 3-9.
2) Add a Ruger 25 round mag and test for reliability.
3) Set up a separate sling for retention/HD purposes. Given the space
constraints, I'd want to be able to shift from shoulder to shoulder if
needed.

For ammo I'd stick with CCI 40gr CPRN, which has proved reliable in my rifle and would be fine for the intended purpose. This would be the "base" changes and would be cost effective.

The biggest issue in this setup is the length when maneuvering indoors. Beyond the basic steps above, if funds allow I would look at stocks which could reduce the overall length. I know there are a couple "bullpup" stocks for the 10/22.

I generally prefer a hand light, however it wouldn't be difficult to attach a light. This could be done either via a small rail section added or zip tied.
Old August 29, 2018, 01:15 PM   #31
gshayd

If I was going the .22 route my choice would be a Kel Tec PMR-30 pistol in .22WMR with a 30 round magazine. Comes with 2 magazines.
Old August 29, 2018, 01:38 PM   #32
TheGunGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshayd View Post
If I was going the .22 route my choice would be a Kel Tec PMR-30 pistol in .22WMR with a 30 round magazine. Comes with 2 magazines.
Yes, there's a lot of good options in a pistol format. However this is limited to rifles.
Old August 29, 2018, 01:51 PM   #33
stephen426

The best .22 for home defense is one with a 3 at the end of it. LOL (.223)
Old August 29, 2018, 09:19 PM   #34
FrankenMauser

Quote:
At least say you'd use a Kel-Tec CMR-30 (a carbine), since this is the rifle forum.

Old August 30, 2018, 07:43 AM   #35
Bartholomew Roberts

As to the original question, a number one criteria for self-defense is reliability - and a semi-automatic rimfire is generally the opposite of reliable. But if I had to use one, I’d figure out what ammo/rifle combo are most reliable first thing and then go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMWMexican
The topic is rifles, not pistols. You are spot on regarding pistols, but rifles are a completely different animal.

Most seasoned homicide detectives will affirm that a 40 grain solid point .22 LR FIRED FROM A RIFLE into the thoracic region usually incapacitates fairly quickly. Inversely, a .22 LR hollow point projectile performs quite poorly.
There is about 250fps difference in velocity between an 18” 10/22 barrel and a 4” pistol barrel firing a 40gr round nosed bullet. That’s a 6 ft/lbs of energy difference.

Are you saying that 6 ft/lbs of difference would have caused a different outcome in the shooting you described? Because that seems unlikely.
Old August 30, 2018, 03:48 PM   #36
Waspinator

I have a Sig Sauer 522 Classic for several years now. I put a cheap reflex sight on it and can put groups at 7 yards inside a quarter sized hole (the supplied Williams sights were barely usable at best.). It had been 100% reliable with every type of ammo I put through it. It's a shame they discontinued that series of rifles.
Old August 31, 2018, 09:47 AM   #37
hdwhit

Quote:
Model12Win asked:
If you HAD to build and setup a .22 rifle for home defense, what would it be and what accessories or features would it have on it? What ammo would you use?
Armi Jager AP-74 (Italian-built replica of an AR-15 in 22LR).

No modifications.

CCI Stingers.
Old August 31, 2018, 09:52 AM   #38
hdwhit

Quote:
Model12Win asked:
If you HAD to build and setup a .22 rifle for home defense, what would it be and what accessories or features would it have on it? What ammo would you use?
What my wife chose: Charter Arms AR-7. No modifications. CCI Stingers.

There's a long story behind this one. I first got my (then) future wife's attention by offering to do her taxes. I kept her attention by keeping her alive during a home invasion over a long-distance telephone call. Still, what is written above is sufficient to answer your question.
Old August 31, 2018, 10:04 PM   #39
Jacket67

If I were setting up a .22 for this role, and wanted to have some fun doing it, I'd opt for the 10/22 charger pistol. Add on a pistol brace, suppressor, and your choice of optic (since there's no irons on it), and youd have a very quiet compact HD package. Itd also be pretty fun to pull out during a range day with the boys (or girls). Subsonic ammo if you dont want to wake the family, something stronger if you didnt care!
Old September 1, 2018, 08:28 AM   #40
Road_Clam

It's always most peoples priority to spend endless hours on the 'net seeking out the "perfect" home defense weapon / caliber. Won't do you any good if you can't proficiently use your defense weapon in a potentially dark and mentally stressed environment situation. Now do yourself a favor and seek out professional training for personal home defense and low light conditions.
Old September 3, 2018, 06:26 PM   #41
Elkins45

Stock 10/22 with whatever ammo and magazine it is most reliable with.

If you need an optic to shoot a man-sized target across a living room then you either need to see an optometrist or you need to practice more.
Old September 4, 2018, 03:05 PM   #42
the possum

If I were limited to a .22, I'd want it to be full auto.

Barring that, I agree with the majority. My 10/22 has a great reputation for reliability (as far as rimfires go). I have not tested it with hyper velocity rounds much, but I would do so if I were gonna pursue this. Velocitors, Aguila Super Max, etc. There's no way they could be inaccurate enough to miss a goblin at 4 yards (I live in a very small house, but I'm sure members here have longer distances in their homes). I'd prefer my 25 round mags, but I also acknowledge it would take a solid 5 seconds of pulling the trigger as fast as I can to empty one. Go on and count to 5 Mississippi. Can you imagine someone standing there and being shot continuously for 5 seconds? At that close range, they'd either be gone, down, or on top of you before you'd have time to empty a factory 10 rounder. Hmmm... maybe this could be one application where a bayonet could provide legitimate backup....
Old October 1, 2018, 07:36 PM   #43
Shootrj2003

I think it's a 989m2 bone stock ,with a cheap lazer on it that is wired with a touch pad for the left hand on the forearm , hits somewhere within 2-4 inches of the lazer dot at 50 ft,unless I scrounge around for a real mount but at home defense range it would work,just put the dot on and squeeze repeat squeeze repeat ,10 times,then reload,you always hear of the guy that did not stop but i'Ll play the odds after the first 10 rounds you won't need the reloads ( as long as you did YOUR job)
Old October 1, 2018, 11:33 PM   #44
gshayd

If I was going to go the .22 route I would get a Kel Tec Pistol that holds 30 rounds to .22 WMR
Old October 4, 2018, 03:13 PM   #45
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Clam View Post
It's always most peoples priority to spend endless hours on the 'net seeking out the "perfect" home defense weapon / caliber. Won't do you any good if you can't proficiently use your defense weapon in a potentially dark and mentally stressed environment situation. Now do yourself a favor and seek out professional training for personal home defense and low light conditions.
Road Clam, this one’s just for fun.

No -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- training is important.
Old October 4, 2018, 10:07 PM   #46
ozarkhillbilly

While I have owned a 10/22 for years, I recently bought my son a S&W 22lr AR and I really like it. We have put maybe 500rds through it without a hiccup and I think I would take it over my Ruger.
Old October 6, 2018, 06:54 AM   #47
jetinteriorguy

I'd do a 10-22 stainless in a polymer stock with a See All tritium sight with a light for after dark. And of course a high cap mag with high velocity solid 40gr bullets. KISS principle applies here for me and this is it.
Old October 6, 2018, 12:17 PM   #48
idek

A lot of people are saying "10/22." I guess that could be an okay place to start, but you'd want a lot of upgrades and a stock with a lot of rails for mounting tactical accessories (and it really should look and feel like an AR or HK416). You'd definitely want a barrel shroud to keep your hands from being burnt (the LAST thing you need in a life or death situation!) and a suppressor to cut down noise, recoil, and muzzle flash. If you haven't got a suppressor yet (and you should!), get a muzzle break/flash hider in the meantime to cut down recoil and save your night vision. A Kidd trigger assembly and barrel is an absolute must for accuracy, as the factory 10/22's are HORRIBLE in that regard (You can't stop what you can't hit!)

A flashlight can be good, but they can give away your position. A night vision scope would allow you to see without intruders seeing you. You'd want one with a front focal plane and bdc reticle for engaging targets at long range (a folding bipod is also critical for defense at longer ranges). Then you'd want some of those angled back up sights on one side of the rail and a laser sight mounted on the other in case your night vision scope takes a hit from an intruder's bullet (having only one sighting system is just asking for trouble..."If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail!").

With something as wimpy as a .22, you want as big a magazine as possible. Something like this 110-rounder. Some people say they aren't reliable, but they are using stock 10/22s! Get a Kidd bolt (and a Kidd receiver while you're at it!) and ALL magazines will function without a hitch! But even if you get through only 10% of a 110-round drum before a misfeed, that's still one more round than those worthless 10-round magazines offer! There are Velco-based ammo holders that people use on their tactical shotguns. You should do something like that so you can stick a second drum magazine on the side of the gun (Clint Smith says "you will fight with what is IN and ON the gun!")

Speaking of fighting with what's on the rifle, that doesn't just mean ammo! When the distance between you and an attacker is measured in inches instead of yards, you'll want a sturdy bayonet like this.

For ammo, you don't know if your assailant is coming in a tee shirt or in body armor. You'll want to alternate different types every other round.
1. CCI Stingers for velocity and expansion.
2. Aguila 60-grain sub-sonics for penetration.
That way you get the both of both worlds. Those 40-grain MiniMags people keep mentioning don't give the best of ANYTHING!

Now before anyone without a tongue-in-cheek detector has a coronary, I will point out this was written in jest.

To answer the question honestly, I have six .22 rifles. If I needed to use one for defense, I'd probably grab the 10/22 with a Hogue stock, aperture sights, and a sling. I have a BX-25 magazine, but it seems cumbersome even outdoors, so I don't think I'd like it indoors. I do have two 10-rounders attached together for convenient reloads when plinking, and that protrudes far less than the BX-25, and I'd be okay with that for defense purposes. If a person argued that a pistol grip would help if one-handed shooting was needed, I probably couldn't disagree. I'd use CCI Velocitors. They are 40 grains like the RN Minimags, but have a little more velocity. They have a shallow hollow point that expands a little but,--in my experience anyway--doesn't break apart like the Stingers or HP Minimags.

Last edited by idek; October 6, 2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old October 20, 2018, 07:29 AM   #49
Auto5

Kel Tec CMR 30, stubby foregrip, red dot - fits in a tennis racket case.
Old October 21, 2018, 03:47 AM   #50
armoredman

GSG STG44 clone. Cheap, 25 round magazine, and looks scary as all get out. Under $300 at CDNN. My son loves his. As of course, this thread is for fun, but I would hazard a guess that if a home invader saw him with that they might develop loose bowel syndrome, and 25 rounds of Stingers won't tickle.