The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 28, 2018, 04:09 AM   #1
bamaranger

new Hipoint 10mm carbine:initial thoughts

Yes, I bought a HiPoint carbine in 10mm (model 1095). I sure did. Me, lover of good guns and blue steel and walnut. I keep feeling like I'm taking my sister to the prom. But I've always had a soft spot for the magnum pistol caliber carbines, and I've been intrigued with the 10mm Auto cartridge,enough so that I bought a Glock 20 quite a few years back. When I learned that the Hipoint 10mm was on the market, I read and reviewed every piece of print and video I could find. When I found one locally, new, for $329.00, I bought it.

Out of the box, first thing I did was remove the funky soft rubber cheek piece cover. Only the 1095 model has this, and all reviews condemn it, and so do I. It is tacky, picking up grit and lint and pieces of your face and a general nuisance. Held on by simple adhesive backing, it was easy to roll up a corner and peel off. I removed the adhesive residue with WD and Goo Be Gone, easily. The standard plastic cheek piece lies below, and is far more functional and I think looks better too (well, for a HiPoint).

Next came the silly spring loaded butt plate. When I shouldered the carbine, the spring loaded pad rocked and squeaked, annoyingly, and it seemed I could never get a good feel for the butt in tucked in my shoulder pocket. A few minutes with a hex wrench and a punch, and the springs (5 of them) were out and the butt plate reattached. Doing so reduced the length of pull by maybe 3/4", and firmed up the shoulder mount. There is a Youtube tutorial on this mod that may make this process clearer. I may have to epoxy the sleeves that the buttplate is attached to eventually, but for now, things are OK with the screws simply tightened back up when reassembled.

My last change was to remove the length of Weaver rail that rides in a ventral position on the forearm. That bit of rail was right where I wanted to place my hand for shooting. As I do not foresee adding a vertical foregrip, or a weapon light at that location, it was simply in the way for me.

Now, suitably trimmed for my likes, the carbine seemed a bit more practical and comfortable. It actually pointed pretty well I thought. Weight is listed at 7 lbs......comparatively, I could not feel the difference between it and my scoped, 16" H-barreled AR carbine. Length is listed at 37", with my stock mod, mine is now likely closer to 36". Barrel length for the Hipoint is , 17.5, and I wish HiPoint had made them 16", which would still be plenty legal, but make for an even trimmer, handier carbine around 34.5", but it is what it is.

The factory slingmounts on the right side, to avoid the left side bolt knob, but I wish it was left sided so the carbine could be slung in patrol or Israeli fashion around the neck. I wish that factory sling was about 6" longer too. The safety is on the left side, somewhat similar to the AR position, but no where near as easy to manipulate. A flat metal tab that angles forward, but slides downward to disengage, it is impossible to reach with the rifle shouldered and the hand in shooting position. A rearward angled design, within easier reach of the shooting thumb would be a far better arrangement.

Factory sights struck me as not half bad. There is a rear aperture protected by a metal framework and is fully adjustable. The front blade at the muzzle is a hell for stout appearing pin within a metal hoop guard, reminiscent of an
AK or STG. The front sight is adjustable vertically for coarse elevation adjustments. Even with my 60 yr old eyes, I could see the sights fair enough I thought, to not bother with an optic for initial shooting.

Well, shooting requires use of the trigger, and there the carbine is lacking. Not that it doesn't have one, but manipulation of same is a challenge. Lacking a trigger pull gauge, I'd hazard a guess that the trigger lets go at about 7-8 lbs, after considerable gritty travel. When it does break, there is no overtravel.......just relief. Absolutely miserable at first, the unit did seem to smooth up bit after of use. It seemed a bit like a very heavy Glock trigger....and also reminded of of triggers on pellet guns I had as a kid. Hipoint would do well to nix the stock apparatus I mention earlier and improve their trigger.

Firing impressions were a bit of a surprise. The report seemed a flat, sharp bark, with no sensation at all of the heavy action cycling just ahead of my face. No "ka-boing" like an AR, and no "clack-clack" metallic slapping like an AK. Recoil came through as what I can only describe as a quick, stiff rap. Not heavy, just .....quick. Certainly more than an AR in .223, perhaps close to a .44 mag lever carbine with light slugs. One certainly doesn't need a spring loaded butt and a foam cheek piece to handle it.

I took two different reloads (gasp) to the range, 180 XTP's and 200 XTP's. Shooting off a sandbagged bench at 50 yds, 5 rd groups range across 3-5". Within the bigger groups there were almost always 3 rd clusters running about 2". That is far better than I can shoot a handgun these days. Almost all the group openers were vertical shots, low or high. That may well have been my ammo, or it may have been my eyes in the steamy evening heat. The trigger certainly was no help. An optic may well have helped, but I did not mount one. The carbine may have preferred the 180 grain slugs.Next session I will also take some factory ammo and a dot sight. I plan to mount the dot to 1/3 reference with the irons. The dot may help with groups, but I'll likely remove it afterwards. I'll take my chronograph too.
I expect a gain of 125-150 fps over my Glock 20 velocities....we'll see. I'm proud to report that with my initial sight in and shooting groups totaling about 50 rds, the carbine suffered no failures.

When I told a pal I was getting a 10mm Hipoint carbine, he said'.."What are you going to do with THAT" in a very non complimentary sort of way. Nothing like a good friend ya know. Now I can answer. As is, with the factory irons and no dot, I will half load that carbine, tape the muzzle, and strap it into the front gun rack on my ATV anytime I'm about. There it will ride with little concern from me, ready to apply as necessary to what ever needs shot.
Old September 28, 2018, 06:55 AM   #2
amd6547

I had a 9mm Hipoint Carbine for a while. It was completely faultless in operation through a couple thousand rounds, everything from cheap white box to +P+. It was a tackdriver at 50yds, and certainly useable out to 100yds.
Thus, the 10mm version interests me. I do wish they would have designed it to use Glock mags, though.
Old September 28, 2018, 07:29 AM   #3
CockNBama

That's very interesting, so thanks for the detail. I keep thinking I need one, too. So far, I always get there too late.

Why only a half load?
Old September 28, 2018, 07:40 AM   #4
Skans

A 10mm Carbine for well under $400! I wonder how it performs against the KRISS 10mm carbine? I'd bet there isn't much difference, except $1,000. I've always said that 10mm would make an excellent small carbine cartridge. I hate Hi-Points, but I could see myself buying the 10mm Carbine. It's like "why not?"
Old September 28, 2018, 11:34 AM   #5
luger fan

Last year I was sitting at the pool reading a gun mag drinking a few frosties. I saw an ad for High Point and called them. I asked why they didn't make them compatible with the Glock mags. The lady laughed and said she gets 5-6 of these calls a day. The reason they DON'T is because they sell every weapon they make and to shut down production, R&D costs, and restart production would cost them millions.

Now for SIG, Barrett, S&W that isn't a big deal BUT for a small Ohio company, it is.
Old September 29, 2018, 10:11 AM   #6
jetinteriorguy

Not to disparage your HiPoint and it sounds perfect for the use your talking about. But, if you or anyone was interested in a higher end carbine that's available in 10mm, Just Right Carbines has been making them for a little while in a few different models, and I may be remembering incorrectly but I believe they use Glock mags. They are able to be set up with the charging handle or safety on whatever side you want. And lastly they can use any fire control group available for an AR15. Pic rail is one piece with the receiver, these things are very very reliable and are built like tanks. They also have a pistol version with the brace but I'm not sure if that's available in 10mm. Unfortunately they are only really lacking one feature I wished they had, that's a last round bolt hold open, but to me that's not a deal breaker.
Old September 30, 2018, 01:06 AM   #7
bamaranger

OK

The "Glock mag" comments are just about universal, everybody (including me) wishes the HI Point could take Glock mags. But they don't. I think part of that is so that the carbines off the line can be sold in all states, regardless of mag capacity laws. I can live with 10 +1. Heck, I used to carry a revolver on duty that only held 6!!!!!!!!!!!

My use of the term "half load" refers to the practice loading a magazine fully , but not chambering a round. For use, the action would have to be cycled, a round chambered, and the firearm would then be "fully loaded" I'm not sure where I picked up that phrase , but I've used it for years.

I've read about the Just Right and the Kris, both more than I want to spend.
I also considered a Mech Tech conversion unit for the G20, which certainly would take Glock mags of course. I wasn't sure how easily a Mech Tech would resell if I was not happy with the project. All three would cost a good bit more than the budget HiPoint. I never fully understood the phrase "fixed income" 'till I was on one!!!!!

I'll state a separate post on velocities and he dot sight when I get to it.
Old September 30, 2018, 11:34 AM   #8
jetinteriorguy

I hear you on the budget thing, the JRC is not a cheap gun but it is very well made. I was actually shopping for a KelTec 9mm carbine at a gun show but couldn't find one when I stumbled across the JRC. I choked on the price at first but now that I've had it for a few years I would definitely buy it again, but I would probably opt for the 10mm pistol version, or the carbine version. It would be a tough call. There is another option, you can buy caliber change kits for around $300.00 if I recall correctly. Hmmm, I may just look into that again now that I think of it. I handload so a nice stout 10mm load from a 16" barrel could be quite effective for a lot of things. Anyways, I'm sure you'll have a blast with the Hi Point.
Old September 30, 2018, 12:00 PM   #9
osbornk

I don't want my Hi-Point to take Glock Mags. I prefer the 20 round Red Ball mags that have been flawless for me.
Old September 30, 2018, 12:04 PM   #10
huntinaz

Sweet. I have kinda been eyeing these as well. I feel like the next cartridge I get into will be 10mm. This, a Glock, maybe a 1911, or Ruger is making a GP100 is 10mm now... It's a big decision

Leaning GP100
Old September 30, 2018, 12:05 PM   #11
pblanc

I have a Hi-Point TS995 9 mm carbine. I think your comments regarding the 10 mm carbine are fair. The TS995 is a fun plinker with reasonable accuracy. But there are definitely limitations.

You talked about the mediocre trigger and the crude and poorly placed safety lever, criticisms I agree with entirely. I have also found the charging handle very awkward to use. If you drop a magazine and try to lock the bolt open, you have to pull back against the force of the recoil spring to a precise location, then push the knurled collar of the charging handle down into a circular cut-out on the dust cover. The charging handle is also awkward to release on a loaded magazine. You have to pull the charging handle collar out while pulling the bolt open to its full extent, then release it to chamber the first round. And the handle is always wanting to unscrew itself.

Sights are crude in design but reasonably effective. The protective cage around the rear sight extends farther forward than it needs to, and can interfere with the placement of some larger red dot sights on the front portion of the polymer rail that is screwed onto the top of the dust cover.

I could live with the limited magazine capacity more easily if the Hi-Point magazines were more reliable, but I have found that they very in quality, at least for the 9 mm carbine. I have had to work on the feed lips of several and return one because they would not feed reliably.

Take down of the carbines is also involved and rather a PITA.

Overall, I would say that if you are looking for an inexpensive range toy that is fun to shoot and are not too picky about looks and trigger function, and willing to put up with the occasional malfunction (mine have generally been failures to feed), the Hi-Point carbines are a good buy.
Old October 1, 2018, 01:37 AM   #12
bamaranger

yes

The bolt lock device is a pain, and real wrestling match to engage. Already on mine, one range trip, and the finish is off the locking recess. I've seen where a vendor sells a different bolt knob, but I am not putting anymore money into this carbine than I have too, so that it remains a budget gun. I normally just insert the empty mag and lock the bolt in that manner.

Take down does seem complicated, and there is no easy field strip either. At 2000 rds or so, I may just send mine back to Hi Point, have them detail strip and clean, and factory overhaul it.

To my knowledge, there are no Red Ball mags for the 10mm as of yet. I likely won't get one even if they appear. But I will buy another 10 rd box mag at some point.