The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 6, 2018, 11:22 PM   #1
montana09

.327 Federal

Does anyone reload for the .327 federal magnum/.32 H&R? Looking at buying a Ruger Single Seven Bisley in this caliber and the ammunition is so expensive reloading is the way to go and I was curious if they make a 4 die set for the caliber? My reloading experience is with the .357 and .45 Colt, both of which use a 4 die set. Also any tips or tricks would be appreciated
Old November 7, 2018, 01:06 AM   #2
pic1083

i dont know of any 4die sets,
but you do know you can shoot 32sw, 32swlong, 3acp
in addition to 327 h&r and 327 fed
Old November 7, 2018, 05:09 AM   #3
jetinteriorguy

Lee does.
Old November 7, 2018, 08:20 AM   #4
SBH

I load for the 327 and use RCBS to resize and to neck expand, you will need to change the plug in the RCBS die to the shorter one. Using the Lee powder thru expander caused me nothing but heart ache. The Lee bullet seat and crimp die is a better choice over the RCBS bullet seat and crimp. I seat and crimp in one step.
Old November 7, 2018, 09:18 AM   #5
Real Gun

I load with lead bullets so use the slightly larger RCBS Cowboy dies but only the sizer and expander. I load these on a 4 hole Lee Classic Turret, so the other two dies are a Lee powder through and a Lyman seat/crimp. I need to use my cylinder as a no-go gauge, because the Wilson gauge only works for .312 or less bullets. I also found that rounds cannot be gauged reliably for a few hours because bullet diameter can spring back about .001.
Old November 7, 2018, 11:56 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

I use RCBS dies, augmented by a Redding Profile Crimp die and a Lyman M die. (And a Lee .32 S&W 3-die set for reloading .32 Auto and .32 S&W.)

I know of no 4-die sets for .327 Federal. Even Lee only offers a 3-die set. (Because the 'factory crimp' is unnecessary.)

If you want to shoot factory ammo, talk to a local shop about ordering some. Around here (and my previous domicile), it's cheaper than .38/.357.
Old November 7, 2018, 01:21 PM   #7
Sevens

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=454312
Here is a lengthy discussion of what many of us have been doing with .327 Federal at the load bench since 2011.
Old November 7, 2018, 03:26 PM   #8
Real Gun

Quote:
I know of no 4-die sets for .327 Federal. Even Lee only offers a 3-die set. (Because the 'factory crimp' is unnecessary.)
Because they already had a set for 32 H&R. Ballooned cases near the case head due to the 327 pressure level are a major problem loading this cartridge. An FCD would be helpful.

There is a factory crimp die available (32 H&R), which can be added to make a 4-die set equivalent.
Old November 7, 2018, 07:37 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

Lee's .327 Federal 3-die set is the .32 H&R set. They don't offer a .32 H&R 4-die set.
Old November 9, 2018, 12:53 AM   #10
TruthTellers

I reload for it and the first thing I'll tell you is for the mouth flare, get the Lyman M die. The bullets are so small and the cases so skinny that you will struggle to get the bullets seated square without the M die and with .32 H&R brass, it's thinner than .327 and I've crumpled cases using the Lee flare die.

With .45 Colt, I've never had any issues with the Lee die set I have; not one crumpled case or bullet seated cocked.

Using the Lyman die you can't use a powder thru die, so you'll have to use a manual powder throw or an automatic powder dispenser. With .327, if you want to load to max, you're better of doing this anyway.

Ruger makes their throats big because they expect all you'll shoot is jacketed bullets cuz of the velocity. If you want an accurate, low power lead bullet load, you'll have to buy a mold that casts bullets out to .314 or larger. Factory lead bullets are .311-.312 and undersized bullets mean you can get leading that you don't want.

I don't cast, so I've been thinking about buying factory bullets at .312, melting the lube off, and powder coating them to increase the diameter.

Because Lee doesn't make a 4 die set and you really need the Lyman die to get the best results, I would skip buying the Lee set and get the Lyman. Do buy the Lee factory crimp die though.
Old November 9, 2018, 02:04 PM   #11
Real Gun

Fact checking time, at least a different experience:

Ruger guns of any recent years are tight, not loose. All of mine had to have throats reamed for lead bullet. One much older 45 convertible did have the old .454 throats though. Bore didn't match though.

Lee may not offer a 4 die set for 32 H&R, usable for 327 Magnum, but they do offer the FCD separately. I don't have that set but am skeptical about its suitability for lead bullet diameters.

The Lee powder measure can run with the expander insert set to cycle the measure without flaring significantly. I use it because I load 327 on a Lee turret. The next die can be the expander that treats the case mouth. I use the RCBS Cowboy expander, which measures .313 and has no M-die type step unless using the short 32 SWL insert, .313 x .317.

My 327 die set is a RCBS Cowboy (32 H&R) sizer, a Lee auto powder measure with expander, an RCBS Cowboy expander, and a Lyman 327 Magnum-specific seat/crimp die. All my bullets have been lead .313 except a few XTPs for lead chasers and just cuz.
Old November 10, 2018, 04:30 AM   #12
jetinteriorguy

Oops, my bad ( referring to my previous post ) I misread .357 for .327 on Titans site.