The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 19, 2018, 08:38 PM   #76
tallball

"Pumpkin spice LCP!"

What he said!
Old October 19, 2018, 09:59 PM   #77
zxcvbob

I'm kinda wanting a Beretta Tomcat now. Pocket sized (but heavy) .32 with a tip-up barrel. I have a P3AT already, but I hate shooting the thing so I never practice with it. I've not looked at the Walthers.

I have over $500 in Cabela's Club points...
Old October 19, 2018, 11:25 PM   #78
Bill DeShivs

Look into the Keltec P32. It recoils less than the Tomcat, is smaller, thinner, much lighter, and costs less.
Old October 20, 2018, 04:47 AM   #79
tallball

"Look into the Keltec P32. It recoils less than the Tomcat, is smaller, thinner, much lighter, and costs less."

Again, what he said. I owned them both. The Tomcat had a stiff trigger and was awfully heavy for what it was. The P32 has a better trigger... plus everything else Bill said. I got rid of the Tomcat, but I still have the P32.
Old October 20, 2018, 08:06 AM   #80
Carmady

The Tomcat's hammer makes it more snagable than the P32.
Old October 21, 2018, 02:37 AM   #81
Ibmikey

A concealed weapon is carried for defense of ourselves and others not to be stylish and to be waved around to see whom has the fanciest pistol. I have carried most of my adult life and rarely is the firearm brought into the conversation because others have no idea it is concealed upon my person and I certainly do not broadcast the fact.
Old October 21, 2018, 07:47 PM   #82
Cheapshooter

∆∆∆
Exactly!
No matter how much I would want to show off my status symbol, ain't nobody's business what I'm packin' in my pants!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 23, 2018, 07:11 PM   #83
rodfac

Quote:
Never thought "concealed carry" meant showing off in the right situation. The first concern should be 100 percent reliability, the second, concealibility. Save the "showing off" for home or range with an empty, safety checked gun.
Quote:
A concealed weapon is carried for defense of ourselves and others not to be stylish and to be waved around to see whom has the fanciest pistol. I have carried most of my adult life and rarely is the firearm brought into the conversation because others have no idea it is concealed upon my person and I certainly do not broadcast the fact.
Well stated, my thoughts exactly. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old October 23, 2018, 08:20 PM   #84
K_Mac

I'm with the group that carries a gun very nearly all the time. I do not talk about it and there is only a handful of trusted family and friends who know. I certainly am not going to show off a carry gun any more than I am going to show the amount of cash in my wallet.

Of course I'm in the guns are tools group and care very little about how stylish my guns are. Utility and quality trump style every time.
Old October 23, 2018, 08:46 PM   #85
zxcvbob

So all your guns are ugly? No rosewood grips or engraving on any of them? Or knives with fancy scales or Damascus blades?

I agree that guns are tools. I like nice tools; as long as I don't have to sacrifice function to get the style.
Old October 23, 2018, 09:14 PM   #86
K_Mac

I like tools that are comfortable to use and designed to do exactly what needs doing. Pretty has never been a concern, and I made a comfortable living using tools as a younger man.

Rosewood grips and Damascus blades are nice but they add nothing for my purposes. None of my guns are ugly in my opinion, but they would not be pretty enough for some. I could not care less.
Old October 23, 2018, 10:25 PM   #87
Bill DeShivs

Here is a few tiny ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4286.JPG (27.1 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4287.JPG (33.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4289.JPG (41.2 KB, 69 views)
Old October 23, 2018, 10:25 PM   #88
darkgael

Tomcat

Quote:
Look into the Keltec P32. It recoils less than the Tomcat, is smaller, thinner, much lighter, and costs less.
_
A lighter gun that recoils less than a heavier gun......hmmm. Kinda rewrites the laws of physics.
Maybe there is someting about the 10 oz. P32 that makes the recoil feel less but in actuality it has more free recoil than the 14 oz. Tomcat (2.68ft.lbs vs. 1.91ft.lbs). The recoil velocity of the Keltec is also substantially faster than the Tomcat.
Pete

Last edited by darkgael; October 23, 2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old October 24, 2018, 08:40 AM   #89
USNRet93

This..get one to match yer purse or tie...

https://www.taurusspectrum.com/

"Tools not Trophies”
Old October 24, 2018, 10:02 AM   #90
seeker_two

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgael View Post
A lighter gun that recoils less than a heavier gun......hmmm. Kinda rewrites the laws of physics.
Maybe there is someting about the 10 oz. P32 that makes the recoil feel less but in actuality it has more free recoil than the 14 oz. Tomcat (2.68ft.lbs vs. 1.91ft.lbs). The recoil velocity of the Keltec is also substantially faster than the Tomcat.
Pete
Locked-breech action vs blowback action.....the former dissipates a lot more recoil than you think.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old October 24, 2018, 10:13 AM   #91
ARgon

I agree with the Seecamp, I own the 25, 32, and the 380. I have had two of them for over 20 years, and carry one, the 380, of them daily. I have had no trouble with them and took the time to find the best ammo for the 32, ammo sensitive, and the 380. I have a variety of some mentioned and like them, however, the Seecamp is the always EDC for me.
Old October 24, 2018, 12:46 PM   #92
Bill DeShivs

Darkgael-
The P32 is a locked breech gun. The Tomcat is a blowback.
I own both guns. The P32 is much more pleasant to shoot.
Old October 24, 2018, 04:58 PM   #93
Leaf

I shall have NOTHING to do with purdy guns! (Joking, I sit in a chair in a dark room and stroke them). One time I had a salesman at a gun shop take out his EDC pistol, a Kel Tec PMR 30, drop out the mag and hand it to me for show and tell with one round still in the chamber. As usual, when ANYONE hands me a gun I safety check it myself even if they already did it right in front of me to see if it is actually unloaded. Should of saw the look on him and his bosses faces when I ejected his .22 mag round onto the counter!

Last edited by Leaf; October 24, 2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old October 24, 2018, 05:15 PM   #94
2wheelwander

Style baby. And nobody else will be carrying one

https://northamericanarms.com/shop/firearms/naa-22m-ge/
Old October 24, 2018, 05:16 PM   #95
Drm50

I have several dozen revolvers & pistols. I have owned hundreds. The only murder weapon I own is a Walther PP/ .32. It is accurate and dependable so
I have kept it for SD. I have had various and many pocket size autos the funny
thing is that 99.9% of them are 32s. I don't think I have owned 1/2 dozen 380s
in my life.
Old October 24, 2018, 05:35 PM   #96
GarandTd

Drm50.......murder weapon?
Old October 24, 2018, 05:42 PM   #97
Leaf

I think one is supposed to get rid of rather than hold on to a murder weapon unless it's the gun that shot Jesse James or some such.
Old October 25, 2018, 08:40 AM   #98
the Black Spot

Charter arms boomer in 44 special with stag or birdseye maple grips with a brass or aluminum tyler t-grip
Old October 25, 2018, 08:46 PM   #99
darkgael

Recoil

“The P32 is a locked breech gun.”
Aha. I thought that there might be a reason. Locked breech. Free recoil will be the same but it will feel different.
Pete
PS:
Quote:
locked breech action vs. blowback action. The former dissipates a lot more recoil than you think.
You are talking about “felt recoil”....free recoil is a function of bullet weight, powder charge weight, velocity and gun weight. The type of action is not part of the calculation. Dissipation .....the gun is in your hand. Where does the recoil dissipate to.?

Last edited by darkgael; October 26, 2018 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Adding
Old October 25, 2018, 10:00 PM   #100
keithdog

I have a gun I carry very often for just such occasions. The LCPII. Comes with a pretty decent pocket holster which is nice. No one notices it in my pocket and I forget it's even there. I've fired many rounds through mine without any type of failure, and it's pretty darn accurate too.

Tags
pocket carry , pocket gun