The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 8, 2010, 09:18 PM   #1
Jaholibop

Identify this gun safe

I have been given the option of buying a gun safe from a co worker going through a divorce. However, we don't know anything about the safe (or the maker) I was hoping from the pictures someone could identify it and tell me what it is and something about it. Thanks for all the help in advance.
Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0127.JPG (162.7 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0128.JPG (150.8 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0125.JPG (124.9 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by Jaholibop; November 8, 2010 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Posting the pic for better results
Old November 9, 2010, 08:18 AM   #2
a1abdj

That is a safe that Browing/Prosteel used to sell. It was not built as a gun safe, but is a retrofitted fire rated (document) safe. They did not sell them for very long. Probably made sometime in the 90's.

Can you or your friend look to see if there are any UL tags that mention a fire rating? There are currently no gun safes on the market with a real UL fire rating, but if there ever was one, this would be it.
Old November 9, 2010, 11:05 AM   #3
Jaholibop

That was very informative! Do you feel like this safe will be suitable for gun storage? I can't seem to find how much it weighs to help figure the cost of moving it. Any ideas? The fire rating isn't that terribly important to me but definitely a plus.
Old November 9, 2010, 11:19 AM   #4
a1abdj

I'm only making an educated guess, but most of those types of safes use an insulation that is fairly damp (especially when new). This may have been the reason they didn't sell them for very long. They may have been causing rust problems.

It is old enough now that it shouldn't be a problem. It is a "cement" filled safe, but is fairly narrow. I would probably guess its weight to be somewhere in the 700 to 800 pound range.

I used to have some Browning literature that showed this safe, but I have been unable to find it.